Carrying Case For 45S (25-50 Count)

Hi all

I'm looking for a small carrying case to hold between 25 and 50 singles.

Anyone know if such a thing can be bought as new these days - or am I looking at needing to find a second-hand retro case?

The type that was common in the 70s/80s - plastic finish with a handle on top and a (lockable) catch on the front - would be fine.

However, if there was also a fight case type box that might be even better.

I know some of the flight case manufacturers (Swan Flight only seem to do 100 count boxes or higher) so please only recommend a website/manufacturer if you know they actually do 25-50 count small boxes biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Covers33 have these.

30+ count carrying case

Otherwise try your local charity shop, (not the chain's like Oxfam) I've had quite a few from there for pence, you'd be lucky to get one complete with the key though. My local shop just throw them away as they think there's no demand and they take up too much space.

kev

Social source share

Guest Deejay OM

I have a friend who makes boxes, which are very high quality, made of wood with with firm/secure latching systems...I will get his contact info if you are interested, however he is based here in the U.S....myself, I always prefer either metal or wood boxes over the vinyl/plastic boxes...just in case there is an accident.

Social source share

Sorry I cannot supply details of a supplier, but if you visit car boots, charity shops, or high street chemists, ( who sell make-up gift sets; brushes etc), they sometimes come in cases ideal for singles, I know, because I visit these places myself, and Ive managed to find a few. Clear hard plastic and metallic fronts, good luck with any future searches,( I incidentally, live in the north-west), all the best, soulfully yours, Nigel A.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sorry I cannot supply details of a supplier, but if you visit car boots, charity shops, or high street chemists, ( who sell make-up gift sets; brushes etc), they sometimes come in cases ideal for singles, I know, because I visit these places myself, and Ive managed to find a few. Clear hard plastic and metallic fronts, good luck with any future searches,( I incidentally, live in the north-west), all the best, soulfully yours, Nigel A.

You're right, Boots and other places sell make up cases that are just the right size for a few 45s. Here's a picture of one.

Social source share

You're right, Boots and other places sell make up cases that are just the right size for a few 45s. Here's a picture of one.

I wouldn't recommend these - the handles aren't up to the weight of a box full of 45s .

I learned this from the experience of seeing the box fly off down the street, leaving just the handle in my hand.

Social source share

Have both - I'd say the Jazzman one (or the Daptone one) is the better option - the opening on the top is a bit more user-friendly, compared to the zip opening on the Soul Jazz version.

And they need some card stiffeners in them too! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

"he's got the lot" ................... as brucie used to say.

i much prefer them to fard cases. i also use the magma reinforced cases too, the 150 0ne for travelling with (as i'm much less decisive than being able to just carry 50 records most of the time) plus the 300 trolley one for our own gigs.

they are very good.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/341729-01.htm

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/magma-7-single-bag-300-trolley-the-ultimate-trolley-for-45s-capacity-for-approximately-300-x-7-singles-camouflage-green/291270-01/

Social source share

I've got stacks of the things - three bags, about a dozen 60's hard cases that hold about 50, a couple of wooden three-row cases that are too heavy to lift when full, a flight case from Beatin' Rhythm about ten years back that is awkward but the only thing I'd feel happy about chucking in a plane hold, a 2-row 200-count fibreglass one from the 80's (I think) which is my favourite for DJing, a metal 150-count that came with a collection I bought last year....

cantrell and cochrane boxes, about three dozen of those white card ones that dealers use...

still can't keep the 45s sorted, though.... no.gif

Social source share

Hi all

I'm looking for a small carrying case to hold between 25 and 50 singles.

Anyone know if such a thing can be bought as new these days - or am I looking at needing to find a second-hand retro case?

The type that was common in the 70s/80s - plastic finish with a handle on top and a (lockable) catch on the front - would be fine.

However, if there was also a fight case type box that might be even better.

I know some of the flight case manufacturers (Swan Flight only seem to do 100 count boxes or higher) so please only recommend a website/manufacturer if you know they actually do 25-50 count small boxes biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, If You Contact Swan Flight And Ask For Simon I Am Sure He Will Sort Out Whatever Size Box You Want. They Used To Make A 50 Box And An 80 Box, Very Helpful And Easy To Deal With. Atb John.:ohmy::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Richard, If You Contact Swan Flight And Ask For Simon I Am Sure He Will Sort Out Whatever Size Box You Want. They Used To Make A 50 Box And An 80 Box, Very Helpful And Easy To Deal With. Atb John.yes.gif:yes:

I would agree with the very helpful and easy to deal with. I was after a 200 box with a single row and after speaking to Swan Flight I had one with my records in after about 3 days, fantastic service.

Social source share

Always fancied a wooden box .........all the northern deejays used to have them, a 150 count box. This is the nearest I could find on the net...........don't like all the catches etc on it.Might get my chippie mate to knock one up https://www.reggaerecord.com/en/catalog/description.php?code=200180 .Im sure old Singer sewing machine boxes used to get used.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Well I finally asked Swan Flight to do me a custom 50 count box.

They said this would not work due to the design they use and the fact that the 100 count box is already pretty compact.

I was persuaded to go with the 100 count box and I asked for a load of precision cut sections of foam inside so I could pack the box out if carrying a few records. These are very neatly cut and fit perfectly in layers to fill about half the length of the box, so I can add and deleter them as I need to - and they were checked in for free.

I spoke to Peter Gosney there and the advice he gave me and the service was spot on. 

If you ignore the stacking ball corners and just look at the external dimensions of the box these are even smaller than the advert suggests - actually about L = 25.5cm, W = 21.5m and H = 21.5cm - so ideal for what I was looking for.

Delivery was smooth and fast.

I am also very happy indeed with the box - it is top class  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm well chuffed.

https://www.swanflight.com/record-boxes-1/7-100-record-box.html

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-62312800-1374446552_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

also you can only fit 100 45s in the box,if the 45s are in paper sleeves.

less with our cardboard ones.even less if you have plastic sleeves over the cardboard,lol.

Spot on regarding number of discs and sleeves.

Before deciding on the box I measured it all up and could see it would not take anything like 100 with my sleeves. I use those antique green paper sleeves inside white card ones.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert