Roy Handy - Baby That's A Groove (Stephanye)

Premium Stuff

Hi all

Following on from my query about the Capreez on Sound I though I'd ask about another classic disc.

How is this one rated on today's Northern Scene then?

Most collectable on the WDJ I guess.

But does it ever get played out? unsure.gif

And does Roy really say he picked up some "Fish & Chips" at the beginning? Not very USA that - more Skeggy laugh.gif

Roy Handy - Baby That's A Groove - Stephanye

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-64206900-1293559803_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest gordon russell

great tune proper......maybe considered a club sound now,but we go to club nights and it,s great to hear these tunes. He also did a tune on wiseworld l believe thats also very very good :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi all

Following on from my query about the Capreez on Sound I though I'd ask about another classic disc.

How is this one rated on today's Northern Scene then?

Most collectable on the WDJ I guess.

But does it ever get played out? unsure.gif

And does Roy really say he picked up some "Fish & Chips" at the beginning? Not very USA that - more Skeggy laugh.gif

Roy Handy - Baby That's A Groove - Stephanye

Cheers

Richard

I reckon it's most collectable on a real, styrene, green label stock copy. Most people I know who have a genuine copy of this record have it on white styrene demo, myself included (I've actually got two!). Don't know anyone who has a styrene stocker, although of course there used to be thousands of the counterfeit vinyl version about.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I reckon it's most collectable on a real, styrene, green label stock copy. Most people I know who have a genuine copy of this recrd have it on white styrene demo, myself included (I've actually got two!). Don't know anyone who has a styrene stocker, although of course there yused to be thousands of the counterfeit vinyl version about.

Which, of course is denoted by being recorded off centre! The instrumental b-side that is!!

In agreement with Tony (Happy Xmas by the way!) harder to find on real stock.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I reckon it's most collectable on a real, styrene, green label stock copy. Most people I know who have a genuine copy of this recrd have it on white styrene demo, myself included (I've actually got two!). Don't know anyone who has a styrene stocker, although of course there yused to be thousands of the counterfeit vinyl version about.

Stephanye_334a_DJ.jpgStephanye_334a.jpg

Stephanye_334b.jpgStephanye_334b_DJ.jpg

Here's the Styrene DEMO & Styrene Stock Copy

Stock Copy not easy as you've already mentioned Tony.

Social source share

it really does sound like he says fish and chips doesnt it ? still a good sound though, must sound loads better on a big system i bet

jason

Here's the later offering from FUNKADELIC

"B Side" George Clinton revisits "Baby That's A Groove"

Certainly liked "Fish & Chips"

WESTBOUND_W-158-B-1.gifWESTBOUND_W-158-A-1.gif

Unfortunately not in Refosoul, here it is on YouTube

Social source share

Stephanye_334a_DJ.jpgStephanye_334a.jpg

Stephanye_334b.jpgStephanye_334b_DJ.jpg

Here's the Styrene DEMO & Styrene Stock Copy

Stock Copy not easy as you've already mentioned Tony.

Posted a stocker in sales quite recently and no interest. Can't even remember how much it was now but the only one I've had (I am but a youth though, unlike some of you old uns who must've seen dozens :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Posted a stocker in sales quite recently and no interest. Can't even remember how much it was now but the only one I've had (I am but a youth though, unlike some of you old uns who must've seen dozens :thumbsup: )

Unbelievable, Gobsmaked at no interest.

Styrene Originals don't come around that often.

My copy ain't Mint, but it was my one & only chance at acquiring a copy back in the 70s.

Social source share

I need help with confirming if I have an original green stocker. The label looks indentical to the scan posted by Roger, and the "Monkey..." side plays true. What's confusing me is the dead wax, the Columbia pressing number is hand etched, not stamped. There is also "T1" (as read from inside to out) on both sides. I got it from a Detroit area seller. The record material is deffo styrene.

How can a DJ not like a record with a line something like (paraphrasing from memory) "Put on a stack of 45s..." :thumbsup:

thanks

George

Social source share

I need help with confirming if I have an original green stocker. The label looks indentical to the scan posted by Roger, and the "Monkey..." side plays true. What's confusing me is the dead wax, the Columbia pressing number is hand etched, not stamped. There is also "T1" (as read from inside to out) on both sides. I got it from a Detroit area seller. The record material is deffo styrene.

How can a DJ not like a record with a line something like (paraphrasing from memory) "Put on a stack of 45s..." :thumbsup:

thanks

George

Hi George

I will provide deadwax details in the morning, liable to wake the whole household tonight if I try to scan or photograph.

Original definitely Styrene though.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just think how much bigger this record could (and would!) have been on the scene if it didn't sound like it was recorded in a bucket...sad.gif

...Still one of my big favourites from the dawning of the NS era, though :lol:

Social source share

it really does sound like he says fish and chips doesnt it ? still a good sound though, must sound loads better on a big system i bet

jason

And shepards pie aswell :lol:

Social source share

Just think how much bigger this record could (and would!) have been on the scene if it didn't sound like it was recorded in a bucket...sad.gif

...Still one of my big favourites from the dawning of the NS era, though :lol:

Rob Thomas had an acetate of another version of this with same backing track but different song on top, which he thought came from a Gene Redd connection (nothing to do with The Inspirations) but put it down and could not find it after playing it down the phone to me me one night. It was really good!

There must be quite a few W/DJs of Roy Handy compared to original stock copy ,back in 1988 I pulled 50 copies of the demo out of Bob May's in Detroit..

Neil

Edited by NeilRushton1
Social source share

How can a DJ not like a record with a line something like (paraphrasing from memory) "Put on a stack of 45s..." :lol:

thanks

George

Hi George

Here are the scans as promised, both STYRENE & have the T1 Opposite to the Matrix as you describe.

Stephanye_STP-334a_DJ_Matrix.gifStephanye_STP-334a_Matrix.gif

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Had the green one off the stall outside Cheapos in Soho in the mid-80s. Assume it was a real one given other things I picked up there at the time. I think they got them off Soul Bowl) Didn't really know what was what in those days tho, and always assumed such things would always be easily available for a few quid. Think it got left in a dodgy flat we had to vacate quickly, or something...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!