All Time Favorite Record

Linda4me

I know that some songs remind you of things that have happened or places you have been but is it REALLY POSSIBLE to have a favorite Northern track that you think stands out above all others ??? I've racked my brains out and every time i think ive found that elusive track that stands head and shoulders another pops up ?? Is there really a track that has it all

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know that some songs remind you of things that have happened or places you have been but is it REALLY POSSIBLE to have a favorite Northern track that you think stands out above all others ??? I've racked my brains out and every time i think ive found that elusive track that stands head and shoulders another pops up ?? Is there really a track that has it all

unless there are some very special sentimental reasons I think this would be nearly impossible. My favourite record changes every week.

and some of my all time favourotes i've heard them so many times I don't realy mind not hearing them all that much any more.

Social source share

unless there are some very special sentimental reasons I think this would be nearly impossible. My favourite record changes every week.

and some of my all time favourotes i've heard them so many times I don't realy mind not hearing them all that much any more.

yes i agree time ,place, mood, have lincoln city won this week :yes: all factors that changes it from one week to another

kev

Social source share

I must have heard thousands of records over my time on the N Soul scene like many of you have , ive loved and hated loads of them!!

I personally have NO problem with my all time favourite,,i have loved this record from when i first heard it at Stafford Rugby Club in 1970-71, the intro STILL gives me the Full Head Tingle and alway will ,,,,i even love the lyrics!!

Over 40 years ive had several copies (Mojo, DynavoiceDemo etc) untill Finally last year i aquired to me my Dream Copy a UK Stateside Red and White Demo

The record

The INVITATIONNS - WHATS WRONG WITH ME BABY - Stateside Demo

Not rare by any means but WORTH its weight in Gold to me for the sheer pleasure and buzz it always gives me on hearing it!! :yes:

Nige B

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

As others have said there are many, also times and places play a big part in making a selection. However saying that one that allways stops me in my tracks and still pricks my ears up as if its the first time ive heard it is EDDIE PARKERS DETROIT MASTERPIECE "I`M GONE" . The pounding intro just sums up everything for me personallythumbsup.gifhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

A few years back we had a thread on here that tried to find a track that everyone likes, hundreds of responses, but not one (as I remember) that everybody liked. I have a few that always come to the fore when asked this question, but the one that comes most to mind is

''crying over you'', can't explain why it just does it for me every time :thumbsup:

Winnie :-)

Social source share

i like to think that ive heard the greatest unreleased motown track of all-time....every year......until universal pull another rabbit out of the hat! case in point: ( for 2010 at least!), stevie wonder - why dont you come home....SUBLIME!

then with the weekly/monthly lists of tunes for sale.....i continuously hear things ive never come across, even after nearly 40 years...i guess with northern soul, its so hard to square the circle. even our so called TOP 5'S are prone, miraculously to change, and in some cases we never thought we'd admit they would!!

so long as we're alive we'll just keep hearing and admiring great tunes and for all we know we'll forever be so busy doing just that, that the eternal question will never be answered....and bearing in mind that there's no prophesy stating what is and isnt, the PERFECT TUNE THAT HAS IT ALL will remain a holy grail or....should that be....."THE SOULIE GRAIL":thumbsup:

Social source share

Blimey... one record from the Outrigger in Brum which stayed with me was Kelly Garrett - Love is the only Answer, Obviously it a Wigan play, but the Rigger is where I first heard and danced to it week in week out... Got it all for a Norvern Dancer...

Mal.Cthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Oh yes it is possible to have a fav. There are many that just do it for me, the ones that make you/force you to dance, the ones with big memories attached to them and all that sort of stuff but for me there is one record that stands WAY above all others........

Willie Hutch......Love Runs Out....i have on thinking about it no reason i can put my finger on as to why this is so it just is my all time number one track......end of!!

Social source share

Oh yes it is possible to have a fav. There are many that just do it for me, the ones that make you/force you to dance, the ones with big memories attached to them and all that sort of stuff but for me there is one record that stands WAY above all others........

Willie Hutch......Love Runs Out....i have on thinking about it no reason i can put my finger on as to why this is so it just is my all time number one track......end of!!

Favourite record ?

The one set by Jesse Owens for winning four gold medals at the 1936 Olympics .

Seriously , if I had to choose a favourite , it would have to be Joy Lovejoy " In Orbit " : the sheer power of that opening

intro .....

Malc

Social source share

An impossible question as ever....

Hear new tracks all the time that give me that feeling....

But as its a new year i will have a pop....

Yet again i am drawn to Johnny McCall..... I need you baby.. A breathtaking slab of what i think soul is all about.. This is still up there on my top shelf....

The problem is hearing this when i am out someplace, many soundsystems are shite and can kill it for me, tunes with so much soul and depth that fails to come accross at times on a poor quality PA...

Was gonna take the soundfile from Refosoul but its a poor recording and don't do this justice... :yes:

Happy new year to all who love this thing we call soul... :hatsoff2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUBedaVpH2g

Social source share

my favourite new discovery to me in 2010 has to be the brilliant x-over by ray quarles "its gonna be all over"

I had an ebay copy saved and continually listened to the short clip for the 5 or 6 days the acution was running and was hoping to win that copy.

in the end I got significatntly outbid but was ale to locate another copy and when it finally arrived it sounds absolutely fantastic. Evene better than the clip suggested.

all time records to me are things like fred briggs "sound off" that has never left my all time top 5. But after hearing somethign this good it makes me far more critical of the not quite and nearly records.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

for me the out and out northern soul tune that has it all, is the wonderful slab of soul from philadelphia..moses smith...girl across the st...its been there since my inception to northern soul in 1972......sheer class.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!