Still Dancing Through The Pain

Patto

These last couple of years has seen me carrying a few injuries that have really stopped me enjoying my dancing.I wouldn't say i was a great dancer but we all like to be able to move freely so we can strut what we think are our best moves.As a result i haven't really attended that many events this year to i don't really enjoy sitting down most of the night.However i don't think i am on my own here as i have noticed that as we all get older people who used to dance all night now just get up for their fave records.Also lots of people i know say they are dancing through grittred teath with back pain ,knees gone ,hernias,hip pain etc etc.Who else out there is jumping onto the floor knowing they will not be able to move in the morning at what range of injuries are we coping with

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:) You're not alone. The last year has been the worst for me - in hospital twice, once trying to sort out the degenerated discs in my lower back with injections (didn't work) and then again for keyhole surgery on a fcuk'd shoulder joint. Shoulders improved and I don't have to try and dance with my arm in a sling any more, but long distance driving is a bit difficult, so my social life is less than it was.

Gritted teeth? - all the time............but it's worth it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

On the dance floor over the years I've ripped a hamstring once (splits @ 100 Club), sprained thumbs painfully on numerous occasions (badly timed floorwork), torn or overstretched untold tendons in my feet, damaged knees (no more backdrops), and pulled or strained every muscle in below my waist - all in the pursuit of those subliminal moments on the dance floor where the only thing that matters in the universe is the song on the turntable and the grooves that you lose yourself in for those couple of minutes at a time.

Can't do floorwork anymore, backdrops seem to me now as a form of physical torture, and a spin or two is all I can manage on a good day. Even now, with such irregular dancefloor action, it can still take two or three days for leg muscles to recover from a night out, especially when the venue offers unpolished floors or even worse, concrete!

Give me one of those beautifully polished and classically sprung ballrooms to dance in any day!

Social source share

These last couple of years has seen me carrying a few injuries that have really stopped me enjoying my dancing.I wouldn't say i was a great dancer but we all like to be able to move freely so we can strut what we think are our best moves.As a result i haven't really attended that many events this year to i don't really enjoy sitting down most of the night.However i don't think i am on my own here as i have noticed that as we all get older people who used to dance all night now just get up for their fave records.Also lots of people i know say they are dancing through grittred teath with back pain ,knees gone ,hernias,hip pain etc etc.Who else out there is jumping onto the floor knowing they will not be able to move in the morning at what range of injuries are we coping with

CHILL OUT PATTO;KEEP IT EASY AND ENJOY:hatsoff2:

Social source share

CHILL OUT PATTO;KEEP IT EASY AND ENJOY:hatsoff2:

Good advice Billy gonna make it to more venues this year and just stick to my limits .You are a fine example to us all never off the floor and you still got it.Think the problem is we all remember the days when you could really go for it without any pain and all around you were spinners,stompers,shufflers,and acrobats.

Social source share

Never been one of the acrobats on the dance floor, but always spent plenty of time on it, March this year I had both knees replaced, I had been in a lot of pain and could'nt even manage to dance a full record, I am sure the years of dancing contributed to the premature wear. Happy to say that now I can manage two in a row if I pick my tempo carefully :hatsoff2:

I was actually on the dance floor within two months of the op, all be it, a bit stiff. And I have also been lucky enough to get a few DJ ing spots so in some ways have transfered my passion for the music from the floor to the decks.

Edited by soulsteve
Social source share

Good advice Billy gonna make it to more venues this year and just stick to my limits .You are a fine example to us all never off the floor and you still got it.Think the problem is we all remember the days when you could really go for it without any pain and all around you were spinners,stompers,shufflers,and acrobats.

all the best in 2011 to u :hatsoff2: happy new year billy

Social source share

know what you mean lads and lasses, i love to get on the dance floor but dont know when to come off, it takes me 3-4 days for the pains in my knee to go away, sure its cartlige trouble never mind its all worth thumbsup.gif always been active and do what i like on the floor but age catches up with all of us KTF and Happy New Year

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!