Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Souljer6

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well thanks there MSS---------------------but how is it that every time Ive asked you in the past you've never come up with an answer?????

Point 2---------------------Modern innit?

Dont know because I dont remember hearing it at the Mecca, so it was just a guess.

Social source share

I think he's referring to me Jaco but his post was poorly expressed as is to be expected from a moron who had to re-sit his "A" levels.

I don't recall Richard ever asking me previously but if he did I probably ignored him in case he went out and bought it. He has enough awful records in his collection as it is.

The only person I know with a large collection, the value of which starts with a minus sign.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Funny you should mention this because i've bought a pile of Lps today and in amongst them is J J jacksons dilemma Lp from 1970.

Track 2 side 1 is Does anybody know what time it is which I've listened to a few times and its a much better version than Copper n brass IMO.

Would put a soundfile up but refosouls down at the moment so will try in the future.:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Funny you should mention this because i've bought a pile of Lps today and in amongst them is J J jacksons dilemma Lp from 1970.

Track 2 side 1 is Does anybody know what time it is which I've listened to a few times and its a much better version than Copper n brass IMO.

Would put a soundfile up but refosouls down at the moment so will try in the future.:rolleyes:

I think that's a superb LP from start to finish - 'Indian Thing' is a great psychy jazz track, and the version of 'Let the sunshine in' is a cracker too.

Did you get a UK copy, by the way? Better sleeve and better pressing!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Obviously you're a Southerner. We've got a lot more street cred up North. :rolleyes:

...No you haven't - some of you are just more willing to pass a crap cover off as a 'soul version' or even 'the version' because it's a tad more obscure than the superior original!:rolleyes::thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

I think that's a superb LP from start to finish - 'Indian Thing' is a great psychy jazz track, and the version of 'Let the sunshine in' is a cracker too.

Did you get a UK copy, by the way? Better sleeve and better pressing!

Hi john

Yes it a UK pressing.

Love the sleeve notes that begin " J J Jackson , black , fat and totally together at 20 stone":rolleyes:

Social source share

...AND CHICAGO'S ORIG VERSION IS THE BEST BY THAT STREET, UNLESS YOU ALL GOT CLOTH EARS :rolleyes:

BRI

Well said Bri, Chicago's original is the best by far.

And if Chicago's "Saturday In The Park" had been released on a tiny Chicago indie label in the early 70's it would have become a northern biggie sooner or later ... that's for for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwryFOYTKac

Social source share

SO....OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE FAR MORE NORTHERNLY AND INTO NORTHERN THAN I AM :thumbsup: AND YOU'RE RIGHT WE DON'T..... GET...... MUCH NORTHERN AS FAR DOWN AS .....SOUTH :yes: YORKSHIRE.

BRI.....CHICAGO RULES.....PINCH

OOPS! :D

Yes but.........................................................................Yorkshire goes a long way down. :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Clearly you're another one. :thumbsup:

I'm a Northerner and I am aware of the track's origins. Now surely, even though you dont get Northern, you must consider that as PROGRESS!!

Copper 'n' Brass were a white group from Memphis. Chicago were (and still are) a white group from, er. Chicago

Be interested to hear your doubtless dazzling insights into how one is soul and one is not.

Could it be that, like so many before you (and doubtless after you), you're confusing obscurity with soulfulness?

Social source share

Copper 'n' Brass were a white group from Memphis. Chicago were (and still are) a white group from, er. Chicago

Be interested to hear your doubtless dazzling insights into how one is soul and one is not.

Could it be that, like so many before you (and doubtless after you), you're confusing obscurity with soulfulness?

Until Rod put that link up I had not heard the Copper n' Brass version for nighe 40 years......and even then it had only been in a club context. I have never suggested it is the superior version but I had assumed, wrongly I admit, that it was a "soul" record.

I have every respect for you afficienados but my God, you're so easily wound up.

PS. I have nothing against Southerners...............so long as they live North of Chesterfield. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I think he's referring to me Jaco but his post was poorly expressed as is to be expected from a moron who had to re-sit his "A" levels.

I don't recall Richard ever asking me previously but if he did I probably ignored him in case he went out and bought it. He has enough awful records in his collection as it is.

The only person I know with a large collection, the value of which starts with a minus sign.

ROD

laugh.gif Happy New Year Rod !

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

WTF is this shite?

Short and to the point Dave.

Prefer the Birdy Song myself, got a couple of demos tucked away just waiting for it to get a few plays out and about.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

And if Chicago's "Saturday In The Park" had been released on a tiny Chicago indie label in the early 70's it would have become a northern biggie sooner or later ... that's for for sure.

your havin' a laugh :thumbsup: It's not remotely soul or even Northern, vocally, lyrically or musically :thumbsup:

Social source share

Short and to the point Dave.

Prefer the Birdy Song myself, got a couple of demos tucked away just waiting for it to get a few plays out and about.

:thumbsup:

Do you mind !! this is a OVO site angry.gif

post-1986-0-55644900-1293972420_thumb.jp

biggrin.gif

Social source share

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=TwryFOYTKac

Maybe this should be in the "Tips for 2011" thread, where we might also submit discs from The Cars, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Asia and the mighty Toto.

Bellsound acetate of "Africa' anyone? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got a uk cbs w/demo of africa if thats any good lol. Seriously tho chicago's 1st 3 lps with the jazz rock influence are not bad at all. Nowt to do with northern or soul but good nontheless

No but I'll take the uncut picture disc...

Yeah, was just teasing a bit to be honest. Chicago sometimes get included in the Horn Rock genre don't they? Still despise all the other bands I listed though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Prefer the Birdy Song myself, got a couple of demos tucked away

Any chance of a scan? I've got a US demo somewhere in the attic, but I've never seen a UK one....

Social source share

Personally I don't think either are soul and the Copper n Brass is even worse than Chicago......god knows how it ever got played considering the amount of decent music at the DJ's disposal back then.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...A truly fabulous record, wholeheartedly embraced by the soul and early 2-step scenes in London as a new release. So much better than Luther Vandross' version, too - Cheryl Lynn's vocal contribution is just sublime.

70s/crossover fans on here will own many records that feature members of Toto among the backing musicians, so don't be so quick to dismiss, please! :lol::D:lol:

Social source share

...A truly fabulous record, wholeheartedly embraced by the soul and early 2-step scenes in London as a new release. So much better than Luther Vandross' version, too - Cheryl Lynn's vocal contribution is just sublime.

70s/crossover fans on here will own many records that feature members of Toto among the backing musicians, so don't be so quick to dismiss, please! :lol::D:lol:

Maybe it's to your taste Tone, but "Truly fabulous"? no.gif

No wonder the Americans laugh at us for calling everything brilliant :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Maybe it's to your taste Tone, but "Truly fabulous"? :thumbsup:

No wonder the Americans laugh at us for calling everything brilliant :D

It''d be a sad world if we agreed on everything, Godz, so let's just say you're wrong and be done with it!:lol: :lol:

...seriously, it;s a personal favourite from back in the day, and it carries a lot of really good memories with it, so I'm hardly likely to view it as complete crap, am I?

I've seen many worse records praised on here in the name of soul, too...

Social source share

It''d be a sad world if we agreed on everything, Godz, so let's just say you're wrong and be done with it!:D:lol:

...seriously, it;s a personal favourite from back in the day, and it carries a lot of really good memories with it, so I'm hardly likely to view it as complete crap, am I?

I've seen many worse records praised on here in the name of soul, too...

I know when I'm beaten and I'm also magnanimous enough to allow everyone the odd taste malfunction. Anyway I can't say anything - I still have a copy of Harry Betts 'Fantastic Plastic Machine' in my guilty pleasures box :lol:

Back on topic though, 'Does Anyone Know What Time It Is' also proves that despite all the good stuff, some proper duffers got played at the Mecca, too...

...(ducks for cover...)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!