Wally Coco - Message To Society

• Replies 133
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest wrighty

Only just heard this but what a belter! Noticed one on Manship's auction too. How long has this been known and what's the story? This would have worked like a dream in the Mecca/Cleethorpes era........

Ian D :thumbsup:

not sure if there's much of a 'story' ian, unless anyone knows different this was 'discovered' by jason perlmutter from carolina about 5/6 years ago, think thats when i got my copy off him anyway after hearing him spin it on one of his shows, dont think it really got played on the northern scene till maybe 2 years ago tho, paul sadot being the first from what i've read :thumbsup:

Social source share

not sure if there's much of a 'story' ian, unless anyone knows different this was 'discovered' by jason perlmutter from carolina about 5/6 years ago, think thats when i got my copy off him anyway after hearing him spin it on one of his shows, dont think it really got played on the northern scene till maybe 2 years ago tho, paul sadot being the first from what i've read :thumbsup:

Absolutely killer riff and beat on it. Does anyone know what year it was issued?

Social source share

I know I am in a very small minority Nev but this is a novelty record. Will it still be around in 5 years time? I doubt it.

That said, it packs the dance floor so I guess it is job done :thumbsup:

Have to agree with you Joan, and based on his limited offering I would have to conclude that Mr Coco is no vocalist.

Social source share

I know I am in a very small minority Nev but this is a novelty record. Will it still be around in 5 years time? I doubt it.

I think it definitely will still be around in 5 years time..even bigger then now bearing in mind it only just about now gets a wider recognition esp. europe-wide. Personally think its a fantastic tune, it has just about everything in it (for today). I do always get a huge response when I play it and at least one person comes to ask what it is...this new years eve weekender over here, hamburg anniversary before, n¼rnberg before that, every single Hip City and the list continues..

Marc

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

seen you doing a back drop followed by spin ya circle skirt blowing in the wind :ohmy::yes::lol: happy neeeew year thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I think it definitely will still be around in 5 years time..even bigger then now bearing in mind it only just about now gets a wider recognition esp. europe-wide. Personally think its a fantastic tune, it has just about everything in it (for today). I do always get a huge response when I play it and at least one person comes to ask what it is...this new years eve weekender over here, hamburg anniversary before, nürnberg before that, every single Hip City and the list continues..

Marc

Like I said, I am the minority. It always packs the floor over here. Has been doing for years.

Still pants to these ears though :thumbsup:

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

not sure if there's much of a 'story' ian, unless anyone knows different this was 'discovered' by jason perlmutter from carolina about 5/6 years ago, think thats when i got my copy off him anyway after hearing him spin it on one of his shows, dont think it really got played on the northern scene till maybe 2 years ago tho, paul sadot being the first from what i've read :ohmy:

those radio shows were responsible for breaking so many tunes. They were awesome. :thumbsup:

but this wasn't one of the better ones its average at best.

B Young and J Hill "its got soul" now thats a record yes.gif

Social source share

interesting sometimes looking back and following a records history on here via the search

here's where it first showed

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Seconded. Emperors new clothes kind of song, fits in with all that funk crap played these days. Will be gone and forgotten in a few years.

The funkier the better and long may it last!

Ste.

Social source share

Seconded. Emperors new clothes kind of song, fits in with all that funk crap played these days. Will be gone and forgotten in a few years.

Mmm, I don't think it would have sounded out of place in the mid 70's when stuff like Black Nasty, Today's People, King Errison, James Bynum, Frankie Crocker, Skull Snaps and stuff like that was played...........

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Mmm, I don't think it would have sounded out of place in the mid 70's when stuff like Black Nasty, Today's People, King Errison, James Bynum, Frankie Crocker, Skull Snaps and stuff like that was played...........

Ian D :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have sounded out of place, but couldn't begin to compare in terms of quality to Black Nasty, Todays People, Frankie Crocker or the Skull Snaps - they were, and still are great records. I think the buzz about this is due to it being 'new' and comparatively rare.

Social source share

when did you last dance then john

Good pont....the dance factor. One thing for sure, this little 45 gets people moving and dancing, which in the end is not the most unimportant factor at an allnighter. Having said that, each to their own and you cant argue about taste.

To me, as I have stated one brilliant Soul 45 :rolleyes: !

Social source share

Why thank you. Looking forward to meeting and hearing you at Lifeline in Feb thumbsup.gif

And when you guys finally meet up @ Lifeline in February, the very least you should both do, is observe a mutual 30 seconds of silence in tribute to the much-undersung Wally Coco who finally instigated the meet-up. Little did he know ay........

C'mon Joan. Give Wally a break. He had no idea what he was up against when he recorded that track in a toilet in Carolina. For a $100 recording it's still moving dancefloors some 30 years later so the record obviously has something. There's some records which you may not necessarily like but which you KNOW will pack a floor. Crowd pleasers. There's loads of 'em. For instance I found "Send Him Back" - the Pointer Sisters which I hated from day one. A headache record for me 'cos the vocals are too shrill and annoying. The record gives me migraine to be honest. But still a monster nonetheless. And who was I to argue with the dancefloor?

Similar thing with this Wally Coco record. It's a 100% stonking floorfiller without a doubt but I wouldn't cite it as a personal fave by any means. However, with a DJ hat on, surely it must be irresistible if you've got a hot club packed to the brim with hyped-up people who wanna dance @ 4.00am? Rockin' record on that level don'tcha think!

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I sold a copy about 3-4 months ago on ebay for $1000. Surprised this one didn't go for more. Steal of a price.

Damn. I spent an hour last week going through your e-bay stock highlighting a load of tasty stuff thinking I may snag a couple of beauties from a naive American dealer! Another myth shattered unfortunately! laugh.gif

Brilliant stuff you've got across a number of genres there mate! I almost broke my cardinal rule not to buy any more vinyl on the basis that I don't really need any more records but somehow I over-rode the impulse thankfully. With the kind of stuff you have on there already it's only a matter of time before you'll run into something that no one knows.

Very interesting stuff you're digging up and good to know you're on here. Happy New Year!

PS Is there any way you can do me that Ralphie D record on 20th Century cheap? It's right up your street and you've probably got TONS of 'em......:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Errmmm I think I said that (albeit in a few less words) in post 10 :hatsoff2:

Yep, true Joan.

However I'm trying to get to the nub of what makes one person like a tune and another one hate it. In many ways this is the essence of the scene isn't it? One man/woman's meat is another man/woman's poison etc, etc? There's probably a subject for a decent thread here along the lines of, "records that were huge but which I personally hated".

I reckon this Wally Coco record is one that'll go huge with loads of different audiences. I only heard it for the first time a couple of days ago when the guy who designs the Backbeats sleeves (designer extraordinaire Jaffa) put me onto it. It's actually on a CD compilation which I'll be picking up tomorrow. I can imagine this tune reaching a lot of different audiences and that's why I like it.

Wally Coco is no Darrell Banks for sure, but for an audience in 2011 I'm pretty sure this would work just about anywhere.

Damn. I'm almost tempted to check out a Paul Sadot gig if they'll allow me in.........laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Now tell me that's just your emotional side Bearsy.............laugh.gif

:hatsoff2:

i need more than just a beat for a tune to be good Ian, musically i cant see it catching on in 90% of todays venues and vocally its awful truely awful imho

now dont get me wrong i love a lot of rare underplayed not known new to my ears and funky stuff etc etc but for me this is not good enough for the scene in general, saying that we just got another wicket so 1 more to go and we have won the ashes biggrin.gif

each to thier own and i will never know why loads dont like tunes i love they surely have no taste :D

Social source share

laugh.gif

i need more than just a beat for a tune to be good Ian, musically i cant see it catching on in 90% of todays venues and vocally its awful truely awful imho

now dont get me wrong i love a lot of rare underplayed not known new to my ears and funky stuff etc etc but for me this is not good enough for the scene in general, saying that we just got another wicket so 1 more to go and we have won the ashes :thumbsup:

each to thier own and i will never know why loads dont like tunes i love they surely have no taste biggrin.gif

But where do we draw the line?

"Conditon Red" - The Baltimore & Ohio Marching Band

"Black Is Back" - Lord Sitar

"Thunder" - Lord Thunder

"Afternoon Of The Rhino" - The Mike Post Coalition

"Broadway Cissy" - Roscoe & Friends

"My Heart's Desire" - Gary Lewis & The Playboys

"Black Power" - James Coit

"Summer In The Parks" - East Coast Connection

"Interplay" - Derek & Ray

"Ton Of Dynamite" - Frankie 'Loveman' Crocker

All monsters in their day ay? What can you do? :hatsoff2:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

"Thunder" - Lord Thunder

All monsters in their day ay? What can you do? laugh.gif

Ian D :D

there all shite too Ian :hatsoff2: seriously though i know most records have had their day and some were even massive back in their day but that was then and for me its about whats played today cos i wasnt there back in the day, i know this Wally Coco aint about looking back its relatively new and its a tune for now but 90% of venues are all about looking back and just cos it has a beat that is danceable for me it vocaly is far too week and the combination together makes it at best an average dance tune, ive now listened to it about 6 times and it just aint getting any better and also one of them tunes that the Oldies brigade will use as an example of the stuff being forced on them that just dont cut it and dont want to hear out and for once im on their side, rarer and upfront venues yes i can see it being a success with the majority but even in the majority of the minority im in the minority :yes: would be talked about that much if 10,000 copies all of a sudden surfaced and every tom dick and harry was hammering it death, would it stand the test of time or just fade away and never be heard again like the Duffy track wink.gif right one more listen from me and if it dont improve im out of this thread :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

"Thunder" - Lord Thunder

All monsters in their day ay? What can you do? :thumbsup:

Ian D :lol:

I still love these:

...the rest are dreadful though!

Ste

Social source share

Me too and I can't see how these fit in with the likes of Gary Lewis!

It was one of those random 1.00am lists dragged deep from the recesses of my mind Pete. I popped those two in simply because they were nearer Wally Coco in terms of sound. I LOVE Frankie Crocker by the way............

Social source share

I still love these:

""Ton Of Dynamite" - Frankie 'Loveman' Crocker

OUT OF THE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS, ME AND DAVE HAVE INFLICTED ON OUR OLD MUM DOWN THE YEARS, AND WE ARE STILL INFLICTING :lol: THIS IS THE ONLY RECORD I CAN RECALL HER SAYING, WHAT WAS THAT RUBBISH, THAT'S THE WORST I EVER HEARD.......OUR EXPLANATION THAT....BUT MAM IT;S ON BROWN TURBO AND IT ONLY COST US A FIVER, DIDN'T SEEM TO WASH WITH HER :thumbsup::lol:

BRI PINCH

Social source share

"Thunder" - Lord Thunder

All monsters in their day ay? What can you do? :thumbsup:

Ian D :lol:

Posting at 1.38am can always cause confusion Ian.:thumbsup: East Coast Connection and Crocker shouldn't be on that list.

Now "Rat race" is another matter......

Wally Coco - fills the floor at Lifeline,but not one for me.:lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!