News: A Call For Dancers - London Project Jan 2011

Mike

Guest James Trouble

Happy New Year James

Your youngish and I'm sure I've seen you dance at least once, get yourself down.

And happy new year to you Dave! Best wishes to ya :lol:

I've not been out in a year so I am arguably not part of the 'scene' at the moment, I'm a bit of a miserable sod, I'm also a bit ugly, don't wear braces and Fred Perry shirts, have a generic slightly rough around the edges side parting hair cut and don't have skin head style tattoos up my arms so I think it's fair to presume, although I might be wrong, that I won't fit into the photographers preconceived idea of what the non existent UK northern soul scene youth movement is, even if I could do a hand stand and russian roll to the beat of a the camera shutter.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What an artist produces is art James :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing what is produced but then I'm not so pernikity (sp) about the 'scene' as some people are.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What an artist produces is art James :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing what is produced but then I'm not so pernikity (sp) about the 'scene' as some people are.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

*karen offers James a cold compress* :lol:

No you haven't, you are not in some sort of MMORPG, you are typing ill thought out nonsense on an internet forum on a subject that is an integral part of many people's lives and they don't want it misrepresented.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I might be wrong but the current northern soul scene isn't a 'youth explosion', so what is he trying to portray by asking for 'youthful' looking dancers......1973 in 2011? Bit of an insult to those still going, the vast majority of which won't fit his criteria. If someone wants to photograph the northern scene/culture/clothes then do so with what's available, not sanitise it.............anyway what's wrong with air brushing out the wrinkles/bellies and adding hair? :lol:

Winnie :lol:

Kinnel Winnie ,they want it dun in weeks not years m8 :lol:

Social source share

And happy new year to you Dave! Best wishes to ya :lol:

I've not been out in a year so I am arguably not part of the 'scene' at the moment, I'm a bit of a miserable sod, I'm also a bit ugly, don't wear braces and Fred Perry shirts, have a generic slightly rough around the edges side parting hair cut and don't have skin head style tattoos up my arms so I think it's fair to presume, although I might be wrong, that I won't fit into the photographers preconceived idea of what the non existent UK northern soul scene youth movement is, even if I could do a hand stand and russian roll to the beat of a the camera shutter.

hi james what russian roll lol billy ps h ne yea

Social source share

No you haven't, you are not in some sort of MMORPG, you are typing ill thought out nonsense on an internet forum on a subject that is an integral part of many people's lives and they don't want it misrepresented.

:lol:

Social source share

Here's one:

containing dancers of mixed age, including Keb and Tomas (from the current mod scene, who only about 19/20)

And here's another one ......................................

Sometimes I weep like a child with my head in my hands and I ask the big G "Am I the only fooker who cares?"

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Oh lawdy , I knew that this site was down at heel. I just didn't realise to what extent.

The vitriol aimed at an innocent and potentially exciting request for those eventually

involved is frankly astonishing.

I would suggest that some members need to sit down in a calm and relaxed environment and

speak to someone qualified about their bitterness, resentment and a misguided sense of

loyalty.

I'd also like to add that photographic art IS an art form , there is a clue in the title.

Social source share

Oh lawdy , I knew that this site was down at heel. I just didn't realise to what extent.

The vitriol aimed at an innocent and potentially exciting request for those eventually

I would suggest that some members need to sit down in a calm and relaxed environment and

speak to someone qualified about their bitterness, resentment and a misguided sense of

loyalty.

I'd also like to add that photographic art IS an art form , there is a clue in the title.

Spoken by a Millwall fan lol up the Chels.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

loyalty.

"Down at heel" Meaning: Impoverished.

Origin

The wearing of shoes with worn down heels is a mark of destitution. The phrase is first recorded in Edition 10 of William Darrell's a gentleman instructed in the conduct of a virtuous and happy life, 1732:

Dear Richard, what exactly is "Down at heel" about the site, is it the background colours that appear shabby and slightly down market or is it the forum members who don't quite make it as far as you social circle is concerned? Either way "Down at heel" is a very strange comment indeed after you accuse us of a misguided sense of loyalty?

I think it fair that some forum members feel passionate about a scene that they have been a part of for a great deal of their lives and none need to" sit down in a calm and relaxed environment and speak to someone qualified about their bitterness",

Opinions are usually formed from a wealth of experience, and a genuine care for how our culture has been bent and distorted by the various forays the media has made, so it is a fair guess that comments such as those made on this thread are made.

I am sorry about your astonishment over this and I dare say that you are unaware of a thing called "Images and Stereotypes" and the power this has on the viewer, I find your inability to acknowledge this as naive at best, in fact "I am astonished"

Stereo type's overview

The list is endless and always injurious: African Americans play sports. Latinos are gang members. Native Americans are alcoholics. Wheelchair-bound individuals are helpless. Gays are effeminate. Lesbians wear their hair short. Older adults need constant care. Anglos are either racist or are rednecks. Homeless people are drug addicts

You say "The vitriol aimed at an innocent and potentially exciting request for those eventually involved is frankly astonishing".

I say, "Let's not sleep walk into yet another embarrassment that will haunt us for eternity".

Social source share

My take on this is a little like bad television, a hyped or shitty book, a bad movie etc. if you don't like it don't watch it or read it, you have an on off switch so simply use it, we are too far down the line on this soul journey to be able to change what has been said, done, filmed, written about this scene to really worry, if you know in your heart of hearts where you are with this, what it means to you then anyone outside that bubble should have no influence on you, rip all the layers down, all the crap and the fundimental single most important thing with this scene is without question the music, if this chap wants to take a few photographs then no matter what is said here for or against ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference and like I said if you don't like the end result simply don't look at them and who cares if they don't portray an authentic scene as the people that really matter are the people involved in the real deal and who gives a shit what joe public thinks because if you ain't in you will never understand what it's all about.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

"Down at heel" Meaning: Impoverished.

Origin

The wearing of shoes with worn down heels is a mark of destitution. The phrase is first recorded in Edition 10 of William Darrell's a gentleman instructed in the conduct of a virtuous and happy life, 1732:

Dear Richard, what exactly is "Down at heel" about the site, is it the background colours that appear shabby and slightly down market or is it the forum members who don't quite make it as far as you social circle is concerned? Either way "Down at heel" is a very strange comment indeed after you accuse us of a misguided sense of loyalty?

I think it fair that some forum members feel passionate about a scene that they have been a part of for a great deal of their lives and none need to" sit down in a calm and relaxed environment and speak to someone qualified about their bitterness",

Opinions are usually formed from a wealth of experience, and a genuine care for how our culture has been bent and distorted by the various forays the media has made, so it is a fair guess that comments such as those made on this thread are made.

I am sorry about your astonishment over this and I dare say that you are unaware of a thing called "Images and Stereotypes" and the power this has on the viewer, I find your inability to acknowledge this as naive at best, in fact "I am astonished"

Stereo type's overview

The list is endless and always injurious: African Americans play sports. Latinos are gang members. Native Americans are alcoholics. Wheelchair-bound individuals are helpless. Gays are effeminate. Lesbians wear their hair short. Older adults need constant care. Anglos are either racist or are rednecks. Homeless people are drug addicts

You say "The vitriol aimed at an innocent and potentially exciting request for those eventually involved is frankly astonishing".

I say, "Let's not sleep walk into yet another embarrassment that will haunt us for eternity".

My phrase "down at heel" was misjudged. Mike has done a great job with this site , it is user friendly and brimming full of info rmation and soundfiles etc. It is a wonderful site , but is occasionally let down by it's members.

I understand people's passion, infact it was what first attracted me to the soul scene many years ago. I just think sometimes that it can be misguided and tends to cloud judgments. There are many different spectrums and sub-cultures within the soul scene and ones that play an integral part in making it what it is. This project just focuses on one element of it. I agree that there has been some awful portrayls on tv and film. I just feel this venture will be more fruitful coming from a different angle.

I don't want to get anyone's back up. I have made some great friends via the soul scene and I'm very grateful for it. I just think we could all show a bit more understanding on certain matters.:hatsoff2:

Thanks for your reply Simon.

ps - I have a pair of Grensons that are certainly "down at heel"

Social source share

My take on this is a little like bad television, a hyped or shitty book, a bad movie etc. if you don't like it don't watch it or read it, you have an on off switch so simply use it, we are too far down the line on this soul journey to be able to change what has been said, done, filmed, written about this scene to really worry, if you know in your heart of hearts where you are with this, what it means to you then anyone outside that bubble should have no influence on you, rip all the layers down, all the crap and the fundimental single most important thing with this scene is without question the music, if this chap wants to take a few photographs then no matter what is said here for or against ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference and like I said if you don't like the end result simply don't look at them and who cares if they don't portray an authentic scene as the people that really matter are the people involved in the real deal and who gives a shit what joe public thinks because if you ain't in you will never understand what it's all about.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark I have to disagree with you mate because your analogy about a TV being able to be switched off is true but photographs enter into the sub concise.

To burry ones head in the sand taking the stance "It is going to happen anyway, so why worry" isn't quite the best advice I have ever heard?

I think it's important that we have this debate, yes you are quite right that what will be will be but, if those who are eager to embark on this venture read and assimilate that there are some who care passionately then a little more responsibility may be taken.

I have no doubt that there are some mum's n dads already ironing skirts and choosing costumes for those who will appear as "athletic dancers" and there is little to nothing that can be done other than to beg that they take care of how we are to be represented.

There are enough iconic pictures of our scene out there, you only need Google, do we need any manufacturing, and if so why and for who's benefit?

Social source share

Mark I have to disagree with you mate because your analogy about a TV being able to be switched off is true but photographs enter into the sub concise.

To burry ones head in the sand taking the stance "It is going to happen anyway, so why worry" isn't quite the best advice I have ever heard?

I think it's important that we have this debate, yes you are quite right that what will be will be but, if those who are eager to embark on this venture read and assimilate that there are some who care passionately then a little more responsibility may be taken.

I have no doubt that there are some mum's n dads already ironing skirts and choosing costumes for those who will appear as "athletic dancers" and there is little to nothing that can be done other than to beg that they take care of how we are to be represented.

There are enough iconic pictures of our scene out there, you only need Google, do we need any manufacturing, and if so why and for who's benefit?

Benifits no one certainly not the scene at grass roots real level anyway, as with television and being able to switch off the same analogy applies with photographs and my point was if you don't like it then simply don't look at them, same rules apply to everything in life I feel if you don't like something then simply don't subscribe to it, point taken if you care passionatley about something then it's difficult to stand bye and say nothing if you feel strongly enough that it's representation has to be correct and authentic so respect you for having the scenes best interest at heart but I feel there is very little you can do to for example stop this person from entering into this project if he feels able to do it.

If something is not deemed credible on this scene often people give it a wide birth anyway, hard to judge what joe public think or outsiders looking in, does it matter? and do we care? what people outside of the scene think, I would suggest no we don't never have and never will, a scene hard to understand at the best of times if you are involved in even less if your not and if your not involved then do you care anyway no.

This scene should and will be remembered as a unique, remarkable music scene that simply embraced the otherside of Black American music, held onto it, loved it, cheerished it, a scene which has the right to be part of youth culture and social history and if us the in crowd know the crack and how it works then little else matters certainly not what media types think or say.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

loyalty.

What you have to appreciate is that there is a large group of people that look at projects like this and their hearts sink...........why?...............because ,again,it will probably be a total misrepresentation of what was and is now.If people want to express on an open forum their feelings about said project then that is their right...............that is not shabby,that is just the way it is,and what may be young and fresh to some people is a parody to people that were there and did it.

If you think this is an exciting project ,fine,other people think it isn't.

Social source share

I am very passionate about the music, the people and the dancing but I can't fathom why some people take things like this as a personal insult and because of my lack of empathy I'll not say another word in defence of my own views :D

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

If you think this is an exciting project ,fine,other people think it isn't.

Then why do those who think it isnt feel it necessary to pass comment on a simple request for young dancers in London? I had suggested to Dean on FB that he post on this site to help find a few interested dancers but now wish I hadn't bothered.

I have only met him on a couple of occasions but can safely say that his previous projects have been impressive to say the least, driven by a genuine passion for all aspects of underground dance and youth culture.

If the result is a few extra youthful faces on the 100 Club dancefloor in a few months then who is to say this is not a worthy project?

Lighten up people, please.

Craig

Social source share

Whenever you hear these requests it's always somebody you've never heard of wants dancers/is making a film/documentary.

Net result is always a misrepresented cheese fest!

If someone said Nick Brown is making a documentary blah blah, I'd be there like a shot. However history teaches us it's probably best kept short.

Social source share

Then why do those who think it isnt feel it necessary to pass comment on a simple request for young dancers in London? I had suggested to Dean on FB that he post on this site to help find a few interested dancers but now wish I hadn't bothered.

I have only met him on a couple of occasions but can safely say that his previous projects have been impressive to say the least, driven by a genuine passion for all aspects of underground dance and youth culture.

If the result is a few extra youthful faces on the 100 Club dancefloor in a few months then who is to say this is not a worthy project?

Lighten up people, please.

Craig

The Northern Soul and Rare Soul scene (however you want to define it) is simply not an underground dance and youth culture. It was 40-odd years ago, but it isn't now - either underground or youth.

In my limited experience, clubs in London tend to attract a mixed age group anyway. But if I were 17, saw some cool film/photos of young people (Keb excepted :shades:) dancing acrobatically and then went down the 100 club expecting to see the place full of this sort of person - I would think I'd been conned! People who are attracted to the scene today by misrepresentation will hardly hang about.

I think I said before somewhere that it would be preferable for young people attracted to the music and possibly a nostalgic view of the scene to buy a load of CDs and start up their own club, banning anyone over 30 from attending. They would have more fun, wouldn't have all the baggage of a scene that has been going over 50 years and could style it how they wanted. You might almost be able to call it a youth culture then.

Maybe it is happening somewhere and us old gits don't know - I hope so.

Social source share

Sorry mate just seen this I fail to see the relevance in a bunch of comedy mods dancing to a naff pop record :shades:

Respect to you!

Anyone who calls Keb a comedy mod is a brave man in my book.

( err ... ohmy.gif and wrong obviously - I'm not agreeing here, no sirreee! nono.gif)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I showed my dogs, Blondie + Charlie, this thread. They both agreed and said "woof!"

Their words, I hasten to add!!!

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

hey up billy, i remember you doing a hand stand near a bog roll in the toilets of the 100 Club a few years ago! That would have made an interesting picture...

Social source share

A vodka soaked baguette with a smearing of caviar.:lol: Bet Soulgirl doesn't get all this shit when she's snapping away,anyway if he wants to document the "Scene" wiv piccies then tell him to get on his bike & visit venues & see it in the raw,as it were,btw how can a retro look & cult be Mod,when it means Modernist :lol: .It's a music & dance cult/scene not a bleeding fashion show.:lol:

Take care,be safe & remember,"Why don't you all f-fade away(talkin bout my genberation),And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say(talkin bout my generation),

Spot.:lol:

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Simon, the opportunity is for ANY dancer who think they can cut it. its not about bags/vests/circle skirts, its about being able to dance and dance well for an exhibition. nowhere on his ad does it mention you have to be in a particular style of clothing

It is open to ALL.. :no:

seems to me, a lot of the older folk on the scene are frightened of youngsters (under 30) . I feel fat and old when i see em, but i dont mind one bit when i see the younger generation enjoying the music

IAN

p.s. Debbie is wearing her fishnets and a basque :D

Tell me please I'm curious as what Debbie is wearing has to do with this thread?:huh:

Social source share

Guest soul elite

it was a light hearted joke :no: ....... about clothes at the photo shoot.

Aaah thankyou, I couldn't see the connection and wondered if I was going mad......:huh:

Social source share

how much does his artwork sell for and is there any royalties for those that get photographed and there pics sell, if so count me in as any money is good money and yes i would sell my **** for the right offer :no:

Social source share

Respect to you!

Anyone who calls Keb a comedy mod is a brave man in my book.

( err ... :lol: and wrong obviously - I'm not agreeing here, no sirreee! :D)

Wow is he a real mod well fair play to him he is really agile for a man who by definition must be in his mid sixties .:D

Mods :thumbup: bless .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert