• Replies 43
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest DeeJay

Sad news from Detroit. No confirmation, but it's from a trusted source. Happened today....

Wow! gutted, what a contribution, to our scene, and our lives! what a voice, RIP

DJ

Social source share

Very sad news. What a magnificent and unique voice. A sad loss to Soul Music.

RIP

Sean

I will second Sean's statement .

There is never a month goes by without me playing " Rare Stamps " .

Rip Mr Mancha .

Malc

Social source share

Melvin Davis just rang to tell me that Steve Mancha, given name Clyde Wilson, died at 4.08 pm yesterday 8th Jan.

He had been in poor health for a long time and though Melvin mourns his passing, he described it as a blessed release.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends

This really is sad news, the family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.

Tony & Jill Foster

Social source share

So sad,another passing of a great artist,someone who is from the same stable and musical era that we here in the UK have loved and worshiped from our teenage beginings.Its such a shame that Clyde and indeed all those guys from that city just oozed with talent that the worlds stage never got to hear them,we have been so lucky and we thank them never to be forgoten. DID MY BABY CALL. RIP Clyde Wilson.we love you.Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

Clyde Wilson aka Steve Mancha LEGEND brought so much happiness throughout the years to so many with his wonderful music

Gone but never forgotten... Thanks for the beautiful memories Clyde

Our thoughts & prayers go out to Clydes family & close friends..

God Bless

Ian Cunliffe & Jane Hamilton x

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

very sad news to hear of the passing of the man who inspired the name of our club

RIP STEVE

best wishes to the family from all at the GROOVESVILLE soul club

Andy

Social source share

So sad,another passing of a great artist,someone who is from the same stable and musical era that we here in the UK have loved and worshiped from our teenage beginings.Its such a shame that Clyde and indeed all those guys from that city just oozed with talent that the worlds stage never got to hear them,we have been so lucky and we thank them never to be forgoten. DID MY BABY CALL. RIP Clyde Wilson.we love you.Gilly and Nicola

im echoeing all of this, and its still amazing to think steve mancha's compositions are so highly thought of and played so much....even when they're other artists interpretations, such as the late johnny taylor on "friday night" and, just recently im sure i heard a 70's recording of "did my baby call" on steve jeffries sales list but for the life of me, i cant remember who the artists were. the stamps album, of course, is a yardstick by which, all northern soul fans should judge his superior talent and quite rightly is a much cherished, collectors item...a sad moment in time once again,...the reality is, its becoming all too commonplace....even more reason why WE, as a community, should ensure their flame burns forever and their music never be forgotten.

r.i.p. steve mancha,.... a cornerstone of all thats good about detroit

Social source share

So very sad to hear this news.

Always been a fan since the day I bought Rare Stamps all those years ago.

Only six months ago Dennis Billingham gave me a 10 inch acetate of an alternate take on Did My Baby Call. Gonna put it on the deck right now.

My deepest simpathy to his family RIP

Social source share

It's amazing how in the commercial world anyone can be deemed a success or not based on simple monetary values. Yet, with talents like this, record sales, chart hits, or whatever measures you care to use in the short term are completely meaningless. Here, in this small corner of the internet, unlike the rest of the outside world, quality of talent is appreciated over the long term and, like the finest of wines we find it gets better with age.

When the last of the fine vintage is gone though, it is indeed a sad day as we can now only savour the memories, remember the past.

Only six months ago Dennis Billingham gave me a 10 inch acetate of an alternate take on Did My Baby Call. Gonna put it on the deck right now.

In this moment of sadness for a talent lost, let's all hear it.

Social source share

im echoeing all of this, and its still amazing to think steve mancha's compositions are so highly thought of and played so much....even when they're other artists interpretations, such as the late johnny taylor on "friday night" and, just recently im sure i heard a 70's recording of "did my baby call" on steve jeffries sales list but for the life of me, i cant remember who the artists were. the stamps album, of course, is a yardstick by which, all northern soul fans should judge his superior talent and quite rightly is a much cherished, collectors item...a sad moment in time once again,...the reality is, its becoming all too commonplace....even more reason why WE, as a community, should ensure their flame burns forever and their music never be forgotten.

r.i.p. steve mancha,.... a cornerstone of all thats good about detroit

That would probably have been The Mad Lads excellent take on Clydes "Did my baby call". Absolutely gutted at this news, the quantity, depth and quality of this guys contribution to Soul music should have brought him stardom and wealth, his legacy though is set in stone, most people I know have numerous recordings by him or by others that he has written. His music lives on.

R.I.P. Steve Mancha

Kev

Social source share

OMG what a shame, a real vocalist/writer/producer and performer.

I stumbled across him by accident way back in '70 when the Stax album "Rare Stamps" jumped out at me

from a record store in Rotherham - was the best accident I've had, and I've had a few !!!

Brilliant music not only as solo but also with 100Proof

He'll be getting a few spins this weekend ont radio show 4 sure.

"Keep the faith, keep the faith don't ever be untrue".......................RIP CW/SM

Social source share

Guest Stuart Raith

RIP Steve Mancha. Ady, Stuart RAith, Steve Mancha, Chris King and Gaz Kellett sometime in the eighties at Warrington Parr Hall.post-2182-0-08114900-1295218607_thumb.jp

Edited by Stuart Raith
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!