Boogaloo Club

Guest samuisoul

Guest samuisoul

Will any regulars to the Boogaloo please tell me that tonight wasn't a typical night.

Went along for the first time tonight (came heavily recommended by a few folks) and it was awful!!

No-one dancing and absolutely zero atmosphere.

Maybe I was just unlucky tonight but it was honestly one of the worst northern nights I've been to.

Bitterly disappointed!!

• Replies 105
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Will any regulars to the Boogaloo please tell me that tonight wasn't a typical night.

Went along for the first time tonight (came heavily recommended by a few folks) and it was awful!!

Maybe I was just unlucky tonight but it was honestly one of the worst northern nights I've been to.

Bitterly disappointed!!

it wasnt like that last month....didnt you like the music? or wasnt the venue to your taste...ive had many a great night at boogaloo

moldie

Guest madkev

After being highly recommened , thought i would venture too Boogaloo, first time there , and wondered what it was all about, there was no atmosphere and not much of a musical direction, the sound system is better in my car than tonights , it was only when Kev Moore entered the fray that it got a little better and the mike used for the first time in the evening ,from the rear of the room which isnt massive , you couldnt hear what was being played ,i thought this was a no boots venue , going on some of the dj,s tonight , this wasnt the case , Admirations and Cindy Scott wasnt origanals and a few others , if your gonna boast origanal vinyl then keep too the program ,unless it improves drastically i dont think i would venture there again, on a social aspect it was a good night and catching up with old mates too , mad kev

Edited by madkev

I have to agree with all the comments made so far good & bad yes.gif

I have had many a good night at Boogaloo :ohmy: Mostly at the old venue .....................my 2nd visit to the new one and yes i have to agree it was pretty dia :( We got there just after 8 maybe 8.30 to be greeted not by anyones smiling faces :no: there was no-one on the door and no music on at all, a few people sat around, not long after Little Ian & Ciara showed up, and then we began, firstly the sound system was`nt loud enough , then one of the speakers went completly caput , as for the atmosphere it wasn`t up to much :no: loads of ppl standing around just watching the dancefloor , even though the sound wasn`t very good I personally thought the music did pick up a little towards 11 oclock we didn`t stay to the end but when we left the dancefloor was in full swing :lol:

Thanx Kev for salvaging my night with a few requests :)

On the social side of it , it was good to see alot of old friends and catch up :rolleyes:

Lets hope this is just a 1 off as Warren has done a fantastic job over the years :D:yes:

Julie :D

Edited by Julie Moore
Guest Little Ian!

As previous years the first boogaloo was packed,even though the bar seemed to be seeing more action than the dance floor .

good for the bar takings hard on the djs. Some good tunes played by all djs kev,chad, Big Ian and steve, the dance floor eventually sprung into

life towards the end of kev's set and stayed packed for the remaining hour and half.

Lots of new faces in and a few friends not seen for ages,good to see Helan,julie and shane, the mcgoos.

looking forwardsto the next on the 12th march when warren will back running things as normal :rolleyes:

Little Ian

I have had many a good night at Boogaloo :ohmy: Mostly at the old venue .....................my 2nd visit to the new one and yes i have to agree it was pretty dia :( We got there just after 8 maybe 8.30 to be greeted not by anyones smiling faces :no: there was no-one on the door and no music on at all, a few people sat around, not long after Little Ian & Ciara showed up, and then we began, firstly the sound system was`nt loud enough , then one of the speakers went completly caput , as for the atmosphere it wasn`t up to much :no: loads of ppl standing around just watching the dancefloor , even though the sound wasn`t very good I personally thought the music did pick up a little towards 11 oclock we didn`t stay to the end but when we left the dancefloor was in full swing :lol:

On the social side of it , it was good to see alot of old friends and catch up :rolleyes:

Lets hope this is just a 1 off as Warren has done a fantastic job over the years :D:yes:

sorry to hear you and kev had a bad night...its horrible when a place is recommended and it turns out to be a let down....

what was the score with the speaker...two blew last time

if the dancefloor was empty was it because the tunes were wrong for the night or just wrong,,like to see some playlists

an event doesnt last for nine years if its bad..like you say hopefully a one off

moldie

Guest kent soul club

Well I had a good night! :rolleyes:

Ceira did tell me they were a little late getting started, but they stopped to save someones life on the way there.

I was dancing most of the night, on and off, but the dancefloor was empty for 70% of Kevs set, and a few people were grumbling about the unknown (to them) tunes he was playing. I liked a lot of them and think I and about three others were the only ones on the floor during the early part of his set. Kev upped the tempo towards the end of his set and got the floor back.

The floor was full for Steve and Big Ians set, everyone looked happy enough to me.

Toni and I have been regulars at Boogaloo since day one, although not so regularly over the last couple of years, and last night was a good night in my opinion. But when we go out, we go out to enjoy ourselves.:)

My advice would be, if you can't hear at the back of the hall, go nearer the front, and if you want to see people dancing, then dance!

The residents at Boogaloo play OVO, but if a guest plays a boot (and I don't know if anyone did) what can anyone do? Go and take it off ?? :lol:

Numbers were the most I've seen at the new venue, but I suppose the more people there, the more people there are to please, and you can't please all the people all the time.

Regards, Magoo :ohmy:

P.S OK, so I made the bit up about Ian and Ceira saving someones life!biggrin.gif

Well I had a good night! :rolleyes:

Ceira did tell me they were a little late getting started, but they stopped to save someones life on the way there.

THEY DID RUN SOMEONE OVER AND WERE DRAGGING THEM ALONG UNDER THE CAR?

I was dancing most of the night, on and off, but the dancefloor was empty for 70% of Kevs set, and a few people were grumbling about the unknown (to them) tunes he was playing. I liked a lot of them and think I and about three others were the only ones on the floor during the early part of his set. Kev upped the tempo towards the end of his set and got the floor back

SOME PPL THAT GRUMBLE ABOUT UNKNOWN TUNES NEED TO GET OUT MORE..BOOGALOO ISNT AN OLDIES NIGHT.

The floor was full for Steve and Big Ians set, everyone looked happy enough to me.

DID ANYONE TAKE ANY PICS?

Toni and I have been regulars at Boogaloo since day one, although not so regularly over the last couple of years, and last night was a good night in my opinion. But when we go out, we go out to enjoy ourselves.:lol:

SAME HERE MARTIN..

My advice would be, if you can't hear at the back of the hall, go nearer the front, and if you want to see people dancing, then dance!

GOOD ADVICE

The residents at Boogaloo play OVO

I TOTALLY AGREE

Numbers were the most I've seen at the new venue, but I suppose the more people there, the more people there are to please, and you can't please all the people all the time.

Regards, Magoo :ohmy:

P.S OK, so I made the bit up about Ian and Ceira saving someones life!:)

MOLDIE....

Guest kent soul club

what was the score with the speaker...two blew last time

moldie

Hey up Mick!

Nothing wrong with the speakers that I know of, and we arrived at 8.30, and stayed til kicking out time.

Perhaps something not plugged in right early on, dunno?

Hey up Mick!

Nothing wrong with the speakers that I know of, and we arrived at 8.30, and stayed til kicking out time.

hi martin

GUTTED I MISSED YOU AND TONI PLUS ALL THE OTHERS THAT TURNED UP THIS TIME....REALLY NEED TO CHANGE MY SOCKS COS MOST WERE ABSENT LAST MONTH

THIS THREAD SEEMS TO BE A TALE OF TWO SIDES.......NICE TO GET PPLS THOUGHTS

REGARDS MOLDIE

Guest Little Ian!

sorry to all the early birds but we were there at 8.15

?speaker caput some djs like to fiddle with equipment but sound was ok for most of nite there was a build up of dust on one of the decks,

maybe it was that. I was hesident about the level of sound because of 2 speakers being blown at the last boogaloo,but again for dance floor

area it was ok.

maybe people didnt like the music being played,but the atmosphere did change for the last hour and half?

well done to all the djs it can be diffucult job.

lastly we were doing warren a favour looking after boogaloo (free of charge).

Little Ian

Guest Little Ian!

As previous years the first boogaloo was packed,even though the bar seemed to be seeing more action than the dance floor .

good for the bar takings hard on the djs. Some good tunes played by all djs kev,chad, Big Ian and steve, the dance floor eventually sprung into

life towards the end of kev's set and stayed packed for the remaining hour and half.

Lots of new faces in and a few friends not seen for ages,good to see Helan,julie and shane, the mcgoos.

looking forwardsto the next on the 12th march when warren will back running things as normal :rolleyes:

Little Ian

didnt realise post had already been posted on event nites

Guest Little Ian!

Hey up Mick!

you were early! :rolleyes: sound did go a bit bandy for a bit,think there was dust built up on one of the needles(which were brand new)put old one on and sound was fine for remaining hour and half and floor was packed

sorry to all the early birds but we were there at 8.15

I BET NO ONE WAS THERE AT 7PM LIKE I WAS

?speaker caput some djs like to fiddle with equipment but sound was ok for most of nite there was a build up of dust on one of the decks,

THIS MAY SOUND RUDE IAN BUT OK ISNT GOOD ENOUGH IMVHO..PPL PAY THERE MONEY AND EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO HEAR THE TOONS BEING PLAYED

maybe it was that. I was hesident about the level of sound because of 2 speakers being blown at the last boogaloo,but again for dance floor

area it was ok.

THE BAR IS QUITE A DISTANCE FROM THE DANCEFLOOR...IF IT HAD OF BEEN LOUD DOWN BY THE BAR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR TOO LOUD BY THE DANCEFLOOR..NOT EASY TO GET IT RIGHT

maybe people didnt like the music being played,but the atmosphere did change for the last hour and half?

well done to all the djs it can be diffucult job.

YOU ARE RIGHT IAN...WAS DIFFICULT FOR MYSELF AND PETE TEBBUT LAST MONTH AND IT SEEMS THERE WERE FEWER IN THAT NIGHT

lastly we were doing warren a favour looking after boogaloo (free of charge).

Little Ian

MOLDIE

Guest Mrs Simsy

Bitterly disappointed!!

I didn't think it was awful but it was missing something...namely Warren!:rolleyes:

No reflection on Ian or Ciara at all. We got a very warm welcome.:)

This of course is all opinion but the music wasn't to my taste particularly although i had a few dances. Just seemed to be lacking the erm...latin and boogaloo.:lol:

It wasn't a typical night for me but then others seemed to be having a good time.:ohmy:

I didn't think it was awful but it was missing something...namely Warren!:rolleyes:

HE DOES HAVE AN INFECTIOUS ENTHUISIASM

No reflection on Ian or Ciara at all. We got a very warm welcome.:ohmy:

A NEW WOOLY JUMPER?

MOLDIE

Guest madkev

sorry too burden with this but the quote about go nearer the dancefloor is a pile of crap in my opinion, it was hard enough hearing on the right hand side of the floor, (thats from the stage)and we was only 50 foot away, crap on the needle doesnt affect the sound, it reminded me of the days of cloud and citronic decks with built in amps, the sound quality was very poor and there has too be a major problem if you blow speakers at every do you have, i used the same amp and speakers for 3 years at my old do,s and they was full nighters , not for just 4 and a half hours, and finnally , you tell me what dj never fiddles with the sound, if they are, then they are not happy with what the have heard before they come on, not knocking the night as it wasnt too my taste but if your a paying punter you deserve too hear whats being played wherever you sit without the drone off the speaker all night

sorry too burden with this but the quote about go nearer the dancefloor is a pile of crap in my opinion, it was hard enough hearing on the right hand side of the floor, (thats from the stage)and we was only 50 foot away, crap on the needle doesnt affect the sound, it reminded me of the days of cloud and citronic decks with built in amps, the sound quality was very poor and there has too be a major problem if you blow speakers at every do you have, i used the same amp and speakers for 3 years at my old do,s and they was full nighters , not for just 4 and a half hours, and finnally , you tell me what dj never fiddles with the sound, if they are, then they are not happy with what the have heard before they come on, not knocking the night as it wasnt too my taste but if your a paying punter you deserve too hear whats being played wherever you sit without the drone off the speaker all night

Mad Kev, who are you? Maybe you should have made yourself known to us and also any concerns that you had about this last nite. Something doesn't smell right about your posts and idenity. Speakers aren't blown at every do, just imcompetent people that use the equipment. The amp and speakers that were used last month had been used since 2007 and there had never been a problem. What part of the nite was not to your taste. Was is the early part, the middle part of the last part. I was sitting right by the left hand speaker all nite, there was a problem at about 11:00pm, but then it was sorted. No speaker blew so I don't know what Julie was on about. Doing a favour for Warren has cost Ian £600 for the blown speakers last month, and to top it off, his micophone and headphones were both broken last nite.

Could the moderators please merge the two topics.

Guest madkev

firstly , i go too many events, --and have done for 39 years , and i didnt know i had too make myself known too anybody (those who know me , know this anyway ) if you think my posts are a little suspect , then that your problem as nobody else thinks they are , as a past promoter and dj then if there was a problem or the night wasnt too others tastes , then i took the critisism on the chin and tried too correct the fault for next time , i was lead too believe this was across the board night , which it was far from , if you are gonna run a mailnly 60s night then please let folks know as it really pisses me off when this happens(not blaiming you for this one )as you was just standing in for warren, as the speakers , i told steve and kev and even big ian as i was leaving and he just laughed , i understand , most dj,s i know fiddle with the sound too get what they would like, too blame these dj,s for the sound is very dissrespectful as you invited them there in the first place(and this too isnt aimed directly at you or ian )i dj modern and thats why it wasnt too my taste , but a few 70s crossover would of been nice,im sure if you ask around you will find im no mug on the scene and not vindictive , but as a paying punter i can express my opinion , , sorry if it offends in anyway but thats is my opinion thanks ..... kevin thomas

Edited by madkev
Guest Little Ian!

firstly , i go too many events, --and have done for 39 years , and i didnt know i had too make myself known too anybody (those who know me , know this anyway ) if you think my posts are a little suspect , then that your problem as nobody else thinks they are , as a past promoter and dj then if there was a problem or the night wasnt too others tastes , then i took the critisism on the chin and tried too correct the fault for next time , i was lead too believe this was across the board night , which it was far from , if you are gonna run a mailnly 60s night then please let folks know as it really pisses me off when this happens(not blaiming you for this one )as you was just standing in for warren, as the speakers , i told steve and kev and even big ian as i was leaving and he just laughed , i understand , most dj,s i know fiddle with the sound too get what they would like, too blame these dj,s for the sound is very dissrespectful as you invited them there in the first place(and this too isnt aimed directly at you or ian )i dj modern and thats why it wasnt too my taste , but a few 70s crossover would of been nice,im sure if you ask around you will find im no mug on the scene and not vindictive , but as a paying punter i can express my opinion , , sorry if it offends in anyway but thats is my opinion thanks ..... kevin thomas

This is going nowhere and pointless continuing.you had crap nite sorry for that . shame you couldnt have spoke to me face to face (i was by the entrance all nite) you could have had your money back! bit late and a bit unfair to print all this bulls..t

Little Ian

Hi Ciara, Can I start by saying i have no intention of turning this into a slanging match , As you know whenever I`v been to Boogaloo which is quite a few years now I have always posted my honest and humble opinion which as a paying customer I am intitled, as you know we were sat just as you go down to the toilets and the left hand speaker was directed at us , for the whole night there was some sort of drone noise coming from it which was very annoying as for saying the speaker blew up plz read my post again, caput in my quirky lancashire accent means broken which to me a noise like that means something is wrong , I know I`m knocking on a bit but Im certainly not deaf , as for the rest of my post I thought i was very generous with my comments

Hope to see you all very soon

Julie xx

P.s Ian I totally agree so thats me done and dusted

see you soon

Edited by Julie Moore

I WISH THERE HAD BEEN THIS MUCH FEEDBACK AFTER THE LAST NIGHT...THINK THERE WAS FEWER THAN 10 POSTS

MOLDIE

PS...LETS SEE SOME PLAYLISTS THEN PPL CAN DECIDE IF THERE WAS ..AN ACROSS THE BOARD..FLAVOUR TO THE NIGHT

Hi Ciara, Can I start by saying i have no intention of turning this into a slanging match , As you know whenever I`v been to Boogaloo which is quite a few years now I have always posted my honest and humble opinion which as a paying customer I am intitled, as you know we were sat just as you go down to the toilets and the left hand speaker was directed at us , for the whole night there was some sort of drone noise coming from it which was very annoying as for saying the speaker blew up plz read my post again, caput in my quirky lancashire accent means broken which to me a noise like that means something is wrong , I know I`m knocking on a bit but Im certainly not deaf , as for the rest of my post I thought i was very generous with my comments

Hope to see you all very soon

Julie xx

Julie,

This is not going to be a slanging match. I think it should all stop now. People have their own opinions so I think it should be left at that. As for knocking on I don't think you're that old.:lol:

Guest kent soul club

I honestly think the sound was good, but these are just my ears.biggrin.gif

Also I like to be able to have a chat at the bar and be heard, and what I did hear was people saying they wanted to hear more classics, and that is when the dancefloor got going, when some oldies got played.yes.gif

You have a point Kev, you paid your money and so can voice your opinion, but this is precisely why I very rarely get involved with soulsource nowadays, as things written are never taken the same way as things spoken. Surely it's better to voice your opinion at the time?

I think people forget that most people running soul nights are, strictly speaking, amatuers, and the entrance fee of a fiver only covers their overheads.(if they're lucky!)

Also, perhaps it would have been better for Warren to let people know he was going to be away? Just a thought wink.gif

Regards again. Magoo :lol:

This is going nowhere and pointless continuing.you had crap nite sorry for that . shame you couldnt have spoke to me face to face (i was by the entrance all nite) you could have had your money back! bit late and a bit unfair to print all this bulls..t

Little Ian

wink.gif Got to disagree there Ian. I wasn't at Boogaloo last night but it makes a refreshing change to hear honest views of any night. That is after all what a "lookback" is for. All to often on here I read good reviews and then find out by word of mouth that a venue was empty/crap.

Sorry last night didn't seem to go too well from the perspective of some.

:lol: - Kev.

Edited by KevinKent

I honestly think the sound was good, but these are just my ears.biggrin.gif

Also I like to be able to have a chat at the bar and be heard, and what I did hear was people saying they wanted to hear more classics, and that is when the dancefloor got going, when some oldies got played.yes.gif

HI MARTIN.....BOOGALOO IS NOT PROMOTED AS AN OLDIES EVENT AND CERTAINLY AT THE OTHER VENUE IT WAS NEVER ONE...IF AN EVENT STATES ITS ACROSS THE BOARD THEN IMVHO THATS WHAT IT SHOULD BE

You have a point Kev, you paid your money and so can voice your opinion, but this is precisely why I very rarely get involved with soulsource nowadays, as things written are never taken the same way as things spoken.

HERE HERE

I think people forget that most people running soul nights are, strictly speaking, amatuers, and the entrance fee of a fiver only covers their overheads.(if they're lucky!)

AFTER 8/9 YEARS I WOULDNT SAY THE PROMOTERS WERE AMATUERS BUT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN

Also, perhaps it would have been better for Warren to let people know he was going to be away? Just a thought wink.gif

I DONT THIN THE DJS WOULD HAVE CHANGED THERE SETS JUST BECAUSE WARREN WAS THERE...

Regards again. Magoo :lol:

MOLDIE

wink.gif Got to disagree there Ian. I wasn't at Boogaloo last night but it makes a refreshing change to hear honest views of the night. That is after all what a "lookback" is for. All to often on here I read good reviews and then find out by word of mouth that a venue was empty/crap.

Sorry last night didn't seem to go too well from the perspective of some.

:lol: - Kev.

GOOD POST KEV....IF BOOGALOO HAS ONE BAD NIGHT AND THATS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THINGS BACK ON TRACK THEN THE NIGHT CAN ONLY BENEFIT...CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISIM SHOULD ALWAYS BE WELCOME

MOLDIE

Guest samuisoul

Bitterly disappointed!!

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry if I stirred up a hornet's nest.........certainly didn't set out to do so.

Sounds like I was just unlucky and hit on an 'off' night so I'll give it another go in March.

My personal preference is oldies (but I'm trying to get out and about to listen to different stuff) so most of the sounds played weren't

particularly to my taste but that wasn't what sparked my comment.

I've been to other venues where the music wasn't to my taste but obviously suited the majority as the dancefloor was busy all night,the atmosphere was good and I've come away happy.

Last night just seemed lacking in a lot of areas and the music didn't seem to suit many people judging by the floor.

Anyway, like I said, I'll give it another go in March and just like to close by saying a big thanks to promoters and djs everywhere. It's not an easy job and without them we'd all be stuffed!!

KTF

Last night just seemed to be lacking in a lot of departments

let me make my point clear ian , firstly , this isnt bullshit, , its a matter that needs clearing up at many venue,s , not just boogallo , if it says across the board then that what it should be,i understand that at most venue,s , more folks want oldies , if you went too currys and paid for a fridge freezer and they delivered just a fridge you telling me you wouldnt be pissed off, its the same thing , no musicaly it wasnt too my taste but that didnt stop me enjoying it and catching up with old mates, theres far too many do,s promoting accross the boards events too get folks through the door with the pretence of taking there money knowing full well , there is no accross the board policy , now im not saying thats the position here at all , im led too believe this isnt the case , but as a paying punter im entitled too my own opinion , the same would be so even if my brother was running a do and i dont take kindly too folks thinking my posts are a little suspect as such,there not , if one persons opinion causes you such distress then maybe you should give up promoting or just take it on the chin like all promoters have too do, myself included, so sorry if you think this is bullshit , but i dont ,and as i said before , sorry if this offends , its not meant too kev Thomas

let me make my point clear ian , firstly , this isnt bullshit, , its a matter that needs clearing up at many venue,s , not just boogallo , if it says across the board then that what it should be,i understand that at most venue,s , more folks want oldies , if you went too currys and paid for a fridge freezer and they delivered just a fridge you telling me you wouldnt be pissed off, its the same thing , no musicaly it wasnt too my taste but that didnt stop me enjoying it and catching up with old mates, theres far too many do,s promoting accross the boards events too get folks through the door with the pretence of taking there money knowing full well , there is no accross the board policy , now im not saying thats the position here at all , im led too believe this isnt the case , but as a paying punter im entitled too my own opinion , the same would be so even if my brother was running a do and i dont take kindly too folks thinking my posts are a little suspect as such,there not , if one persons opinion causes you such distress then maybe you should give up promoting or just take it on the chin like all promoters have too do, myself included, so sorry if you think this is bullshit , but i dont ,and as i said before , sorry if this offends , its not meant too kev Thomas

ACROSS THE BOARD SHOULD BE JUST THAT....NOT TWO MOTOWN TRACKS AND A 7TS CHOON THROWN IN FOR GOOD MEASURE...PROMOTERS NED TO BOOK DJS THAT COMPLIMENT EACH OTHERS TUNES..NO POINT IN BOOKING ALL OLDIES DJS FOR AN ACROSS THE BOARD NIGHT...I KNOW FOR SURE BOTH BIG AND LITTLE IAN DONT PLAY ACROSS THE BOARD...STEVEC THE OTHER RESIDENT DOES TO A DEGREE AS DOES WARREN ON OCCASIONS

PROMOTERS NEED TO TAKE THE ROUGH WITH THE SMOOTH...WEVE ALL HAD BAD NIGHTS AND GOT THINGS WRONG...ITS HOW WE ALL LEARN

THE THING IS MOST PPL ONLY REMEMBER AN EVENTS LAST NIGHT SO THE 30 EVENTS BEFORE COUNT FOR LITTLE IF THE LAST ONE IS AWFUL

REGARDS MOLDIE

KEV THOMAS...WHO ARE YER LOLOLOLOLOL

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry if I stirred up a hornet's nest.........certainly didn't set out to do so.

Sounds like I was just unlucky and hit on an 'off' night so I'll give it another go in March.

My personal preference is oldies (but I'm trying to get out and about to listen to different stuff) so most of the sounds played weren't

particularly to my taste but that wasn't what sparked my comment.

I've been to other venues where the music wasn't to my taste but obviously suited the majority as the dancefloor was busy all night,the atmosphere was good and I've come away happy.

Last night just seemed lacking in a lot of areas and the music didn't seem to suit many people judging by the floor.

Anyway, like I said, I'll give it another go in March and just like to close by saying a big thanks to promoters and djs everywhere. It's not an easy job and without them we'd all be stuffed!!

KTF

Last night just seemed to be lacking in a lot of departments

I wasn't going to get involved in this but I'm amazed that in one post it mentioned that some people didn't like the unknowns & now samuisoul has said that he prefers oldies so "the sounds weren't to his/her taste" ???? I wouldn't have thought that anybody "on the scene" wouldn't have known most if not all of the records that were played last night so was it non-soulies who complained or people expecting chart motown etc? Not including Kev Thomas in that who has already stated his preference for modern.

I wasn't going to get involved in this but I'm amazed that in one post it mentioned that some people didn't like the unknowns & now samuisoul has said that he prefers oldies so "the sounds weren't to his/her taste" ???? I wouldn't have thought that anybody "on the scene" wouldn't have known most if not all of the records that were played last night so was it non-soulies who complained or people expecting chart motown etc? Not including Kev Thomas in that who has already stated his preference for modern.

HI DAVE

thats why i asked for playlists to see what the format was last night....julie moore likes across the board tunes....kev thomas likes modern...and magoo prefers oldies...neither kev nor julie enjoyed the night yet magoo did...does this suggest there was plenty of oldies

did you go last night dave...be nice to hear your views if you did

regards moldie

I'm sure that Ian regrets using the term bullshit & to be fair to him he probably feels that he is taking flak when he doesn't even promote Boogaloo. He was keeping it going while Warren is away.

I'm not taking sides because it's all just about opinions

By the way to all those who took Solid Hit Flyers last night , we DON'T play across the board, we play 100% 60s underplayed,semi knowns & current niter biggies. If you want to hear 70s you won't at Solid Hit. If you do want to hear 60s you'll love it great music & great atmosphere thumbsup.gif

By the way great to see Nick Brown out & about again thumbsup.gif n

Dave :lol:

Edited by SHSDave

HI DAVE

thats why i asked for playlists to see what the format was last night....julie moore likes across the board tunes....kev thomas likes modern...and magoo prefers oldies...neither kev nor julie enjoyed the night yet magoo did...does this suggest there was plenty of oldies

did you go last night dave...be nice to hear your views if you did

regards moldie

Hi Moldie Yes I was there mate thats why I questioned the claim that there were people who didn't like the unknowns. g.gif Nobody knows everything & I'm sure nobody has heard everything but it's fair to say that the oldies were very well covered . I did hear a couple of 70s oldies late on but no crossover or modern (thankfully lol :lol: )

All best

Dave

Edited by SHSDave
Guest samuisoul

Hi Mate

Guess it depends on your definition of oldies.

Mine is sounds played at the Wheel, Torch, Pendulum, Wigan (earlier days) and St Ives (oldies room).

I'm a regular at venues such as the Monaco (Hindley), the Stute (Melton) and now Soul on the Square where the music policy is described as mainly oldies and never fails to match my definition.

Accept that might make me a dinosaur (been called that by a more than a few of my mates on the scene!) but hopefully doesn't make me a 'non-soulie'.

Hi Mate

Guess it depends on your definition of oldies.

Mine is sounds played at the Wheel, Torch, Pendulum, Wigan (earlier days) and St Ives (oldies room).

I'm a regular at venues such as the Monaco (Hindley), the Stute (Melton) and now Soul on the Square where the music policy is described as mainly oldies and never fails to match my definition.

Accept that might make me a dinosaur (been called that by a more than a few of my mates on the scene!) but hopefully doesn't make me a 'non-soulie'.

:hatsoff2: No sorry mate I did think after I posted that I was excluding Wheel Torch etc , doesn't make you any less a soulie, so apologies :hatsoff2:

Having said that every tune you know was a newie to you once, do you never feel the urge to hear something different & new ? (in a 60s way)

Hi Mate

I'm a regular at venues such as, the Stute (Melton) where the music policy is described as mainly oldies and never fails to match my definition.

ILL BE THERE NEXT WEEK...COME AND SAY HELLO

IS YOUR NAME TERRY DACKTILL BY ANY CHANCE?...LOLOLOLOL

REGARDS MOLDIE

Been to Boogaloo several times over a few years.I'ts a mix of r&b,latin soul,popcorn and a bit of northern soul.It's not an all out in your face northern stompers night and I've never heard much seventies there.I do enjoy it though.The venue has had problems in the past with the speakers and the noise limiter.Never heard of bootlegs being played there either!!.I've two big speakers and a Marlin amp if Warren ever needs a decent sound and Im in south London....just pick them up and bring them back (and free).Sounds like he was expecting a northern across the board night with oldies/seventies and modern.Theres nothing like that in the south east apart from Bisley and my gig in southend.All on original vinyl.Solid Hit Soul is good if you like what the f**ck is that moments(get your pen ready) and buying vinyl but you won't get much seventies/modern.

Been to Boogaloo several times over a few years.I'ts a mix of r&b,latin soul,popcorn and a bit of northern soul.It's not an all out in your face northern stompers night and I've never heard much seventies there.I do enjoy it though.The venue has had problems in the past with the speakers and the noise limiter.Never heard of bootlegs being played there either!!.I've two big speakers and a Marlin amp if Warren ever needs a decent sound and Im in south London....just pick them up and bring them back (and free).Sounds like he was expecting a northern across the board night with oldies/seventies and modern.Theres nothing like that in the south east apart from Bisley and my gig in southend.All on original vinyl.Solid Hit Soul is good if you like what the f**ck is that moments(get your pen ready) and buying vinyl but you won't get much seventies/modern.

Thanks for the plug Wiggy but can i just correct you ? You won't get ANY seventies/modern :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

Sounds like he was expecting a northern across the board night with oldies/seventies and modern.Theres nothing like that in the south east apart from Bisley and my gig in southend.All on original vinyl.Solid Hit Soul is good if you like what the f**ck is that moments(get your pen ready) and buying vinyl but you won't get much seventies/modern.

IM NOT SURE WHERE YOU GET BISLEY DOES ALL THAT...

MOLDIE

Guest Little Ian!

Any playlists please?

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

This is my early set

HERBIE OLIVERI - WE BELONG TOGETHER - SPEED

THE ZIRCONS - NO TWISTIN ON SUNDAY - FEDERAL

PRECISIONS - INSTANT HEARTBREAK - DREW (DEMO)

JIMMY LIPSCOME - POW POW POW (MAS QUE NADA) - MONIQUE (DEMO)

PARRISH - YOUR SMILE - UPTITE

CREATIONS - FOOTSTEPS - ZODIAC

VOICES - FOREVER IS A LONG LONG TIME - PENNY

LORNETTES - HIS WAY WITH GIRLS - LORNETTES

DYNAMICS - I WANNA KNOW - BIG TOP

JETS - EVERYTHING I DO - PORT (DEMO)

JIMMY (SOUL) CLARK - DO IT RIGHT NOW - MOIRA

BETTY LAVETTE - ALMOST - KAREN

Make your own minds up. Rare, oldies or whatever. This was my early set 8:15pm - 8:45pm. I gave up my second set to accommodate other Djs.

Little! Ian

Guest samuisoul

:hatsoff2: No sorry mate I did think after I posted that I was excluding Wheel Torch etc , doesn't make you any less a soulie, so apologies :hatsoff2:

Having said that every tune you know was a newie to you once, do you never feel the urge to hear something different & new ? (in a 60s way)

No worries mate and no offence taken.

You're absolutely right about trying different stuff.........that's why I went along to Boogaloo knowing it wouldn't be oldies (my definition!). If I don't try to get into some of the more recent plays I'm destined to become a couch potato!

Don't know whether it's a north / south thing but there seems to be far fewer venues down here playing my style of oldies than in the north and midlands.

Only been down here a few months so any venues you can recommend would be appreciated.

Sam,

Done Pilsley and enjoyed it immensly, but on this occasion went out to support a local venue as Pilsley is a 6hr round trip :hatsoff2: I also thought advertising a soul event should be in the events forum :hatsoff2:

Julie

NOW NOW JULIE...OR IS IT KEV?...LOLOLOL

MOLDIE

Source Advert