Boogaloo Club

Guest samuisoul

Guest soulboy101

my first night at boogaloo didn't get there till late but really impressed with how friendly every one was. really enjoyed the dancing especially the two guys doing the spins and backflips definetly be there on the 12th :hatsoff2:

soulboy101

• Replies 105
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't know whether it's a north / south thing but there seems to be far fewer venues down here playing my style of oldies than in the north and midlands.

Only been down here a few months so any venues you can recommend would be appreciated.

IF YOU LET US KNOW A FEW TUNES YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THEN PPL CAN SUGEST EVENTS FOR YOU..WHAT IS YOUR STLYE OF OLDIES

MOLDIE

No worries mate and no offence taken.

You're absolutely right about trying different stuff.........that's why I went along to Boogaloo knowing it wouldn't be oldies (my definition!). If I don't try to get into some of the more recent plays I'm destined to become a couch potato!

Don't know whether it's a north / south thing but there seems to be far fewer venues down here playing my style of oldies than in the north and midlands.

Only been down here a few months so any venues you can recommend would be appreciated.

I'll pm you mate not fair to advertise other venues on a lookback :hatsoff2:

If i had a do, i would mention it as well :hatsoff2: , think the thread as gone crazy, any chance of moving it so the do's that are up and coming canwink.gif get a look in :hatsoff2:

HI TIM

YOU COULD ALWAYS GET ALFIE TO DO ONE OF HIS FAMOUS...EVENING SOULIES..ONLY 3 DAYS 8 HOURS AND TEN SECONDS..HAD LOTSA INTEREST AND NEW TUNES THROUGH THE DOORS...POSTS

MOLDIE

my first night at boogaloo didn't get there till late but really impressed with how friendly every one was. really enjoyed the dancing especially the two guys doing the spins and backflips definetly be there on the 12th :hatsoff2:

soulboy101

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN KEV THOMAS AND MARTIN AINSCOUGH

MOLDIE

Guest soulboy101

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN KEV THOMAS AND MARTIN AINSCOUGH

MOLDIE

i would like to no what ppl were listening to saying the speakers were droning thats bull i was dancing most of the night and it was fine

i would like to no what ppl were listening to saying the speakers were droning thats bull i was dancing most of the night and it was fine

kev has been around a long time and run his own events so id say he knows a good sound system when he hears one...its all about opinions of which there are many

moldie

Guest madkev

soulboy, did you not read the earlier thread when ian said there was problems with the sound,and i do know what im on about moldie lol :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2: :lol:ph34r.gif:wave: :wave: :wave::lol::P

soulboy, did you not read the earlier thread when ian said there was problems with the sound,and i do know what im on about moldie lol :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2: :lol:ph34r.gif:wave: :wave: :wave::lol::P

hi ninja kev

moldie

Can all keep to the topic.

Constructive critisism ok if just that - comstructive.

As for the plugs for other venues ffs would you like it if folks came on your threads plugging their nights.

No need for some of the 'who are you' comments either.

Stick to the rules everyone or thread gets shut.

Drop the caps as well, no need, internet ettiquete & all that etc.

Can all keep to the topic.

Constructive critisism ok if just that - comstructive.

it is constructive and advice on dj equipment has been offered

As for the plugs for other venues ffs would you like it if folks came on your threads plugging their nights.

we have all ready been told off for that offence

No need for some of the 'who are you' comments either.

its a personal joke between kev thomas and myself

Stick to the rules everyone or thread gets shut.

Drop the caps as well, no need, internet ettiquete & all that etc.

my caps were stuck on..no nastyness intended

Guest soulboy101

. Didn't get there till 11:30 there must of been a problem earlier. First time and loved it + everyones intilteld to there own opinion
Guest outonthefloor

Blimey, cant believe all this....anyone would think it was a meeting to solve world poverty rather than a local soul nit in lil 'ol London town!!!!!

My opinion for what it's worth......

1. Yes, it would have been nice to know that Warren was away and it did feel a bit strange without him and Karen there but you cant knock Ian and Steve for that and Cira made me feel very welcome and always greets everyone as they come in. She sat by the door all night or danced right by the enterance. You'll go a long way to find a nicer person on the door...maybe Kev Such wins the prize but not by much x

2. I think the venue has a lot to do with the atmosphere. I used to call the old place 'the best northern soul social club around' It had that underground 'we've got a secret' kinda feel like the 100 club has ( not comparing the two just likening the feel of the venues) The lighting was 'odd' that kind of half light which gives the place a srtange feel. Personally I think Northern suits the big dance hall venue or the small dark 'smokey...not any more but you know what I mean...kinda cellar bars...Like SHS I suppose which has a great atmosphere. This is the first time I have been to this venue and it wasnt my favourite i must admit. then again its hard to find affordable, suitable places, especially in London.

3. The music was not all to my taste but then when there is only one room you would expect that. Its no secret that I prefer to go older than newer and if my memory serves thre was about as much RnB as there was 70's played with the 60's stuff sandwiched in the middle.....Now this is where it gets tricky.........The Dj's couldnt win IMO. The vast majority of the crowd most of whom I knew like a more popular tune, they go out to dance to what they know have a drink and a good time. Nothing wrong with that, they dont wanna be educated they want to be entertained plus i dont think they really care whether its ovo or not...again Im not judging just commenting. When the boys double decked at the end with good old standards like Ruby Andrews, Nolan poter, et al the dancefloor was rammed........Me, I did have a bit of the, 'Where's the Bride?' moment!

Herein lies the arguement...I often complain on here when people say give the paying punter what they want....I whole heartedly disagree....Set your stall out and stick to your guns thats what successful nights do imo. Don't wanna keep comparing this venue to SHS but Dave never deviates from his policy and he gets the punters in. Steve and Ian were prsented with a dilema, they had people complaining about the music so they gave them what they wanted at the end of the night, the floor was rammed but the music was strictly, 'compliation CD' Even the guys would admit that. Ive heard Steve and Ian play blinding sets so Im not knocking either of them believe me.

Both Steve and Ian are involvd in the scooter scene too and thats why they knew how to 'save the night' for the majority of the punters!

In answer to the original question, this was not a typical Boogaloo night in my experience but also it was not a terrible night, certainly not the worst northern night ive been to.....clearly whoever said that has not been out in Southend recently lol.....Ive been to a few local nights where I would have considered hacking my arm off with a pen knike to escape after 127 minutes 'f**k 127 hours!!! Anyway I digress...........

4 The DJ's, When I arrived Little Ian was on but to be honest I didnt really notice what was playing because I was chatting and saying hello to everyone. Think Big Ian was next, He played some great RnB and I danced to most of it plus some 60's northern nothing that stands out so obviously not too offensive! Chad was next up and he played a mixed bag. Maybe if im being critical it was the flow rather than the individual tunes which made it feel a bit disjointed. but I did dance to most of his set. Its no secret the 70's stuff doesnt do it for me but thats just me lol. Think Kev came on after Chad. He also played a mixed bag plus one excellent RnB tune which I didnt catch the name of. Towards the end of his set he said he'd been asked to play som oldies as requests and duely obliged. Ian and Steve double decked after that and Ive alrady commented on the last hour.

The Middle of the road northern lobby is very powerful and in the end people power won, Trouble is the people who want something different werent sated at the end and the popular oldies brigade didnt enjoy the beginig of the night...like I say, 'no win situation'

Well thats about it really, would just like to say thank you to Steve and Ian (and Cira of course) for holdin the fort.

Great to see loads of friends there, thank you for all your compliments,

See you all out on the floor somewhere soon

Helen

Guest Bearsy

Blimey :lol: i wasnt there myself last night but have been to quite a few over the years and ive never seen or heard of Boogaloo advertised as an "Across the Board" night or was i just not paying attention enough lol, gutted for those that put the night on for Warren in his absense and feel for those that fail to have a great time as there is nothing worse than that but hey it dont sound like a typical Boogaloo night to me and i was talking to a couple of close friends that attended from Medway last night and they said it was a very slow start but when it finally got going (nigh on midnight) it was as good as any previous Boogaloo nights, its a thankless task putting a night on and sometimes they dont come up to scratch but Warren, Karen, Ian, Ciara and Steve always try to put the best night on they can and hopefully something good can come out of this if there are negatives and like some have said earlier, to go for 9 years they must be doing something right :hatsoff2: onwards an upwards for a Soul Club that really tries to keep the paying punters who all like their soul different from one another happy :hatsoff2:

Bearsy

Blimey, cant believe all this....anyone would think it was a meeting to solve world poverty rather than a local soul nit in lil 'ol London town!!!!!

My opinion for what it's worth......

1. Yes, it would have been nice to know that Warren was away and it did feel a bit strange without him and Karen there but you cant knock Ian and Steve for that and Cira made me feel very welcome and always greets everyone as they come in. She sat by the door all night or danced right by the enterance. You'll go a long way to find a nicer person on the door...maybe Kev Such wins the prize but not by much x

2. I think the venue has a lot to do with the atmosphere. I used to call the old place 'the best northern soul social club around' It had that underground 'we've got a secret' kinda feel like the 100 club has ( not comparing the two just likening the feel of the venues) The lighting was 'odd' that kind of half light which gives the place a srtange feel. Personally I think Northern suits the big dance hall venue or the small dark 'smokey...not any more but you know what I mean...kinda cellar bars...Like SHS I suppose which has a great atmosphere. This is the first time I have been to this venue and it wasnt my favourite i must admit. then again its hard to find affordable, suitable places, especially in London.

3. The music was not all to my taste but then when there is only one room you would expect that. Its no secret that I prefer to go older than newer and if my memory serves thre was about as much RnB as there was 70's played with the 60's stuff sandwiched in the middle.....Now this is where it gets tricky.........The Dj's couldnt win IMO. The vast majority of the crowd most of whom I knew like a more popular tune, they go out to dance to what they know have a drink and a good time. Nothing wrong with that, they dont wanna be educated they want to be entertained plus i dont think they really care whether its ovo or not...again Im not judging just commenting. When the boys double decked at the end with good old standards like Ruby Andrews, Nolan poter, et al the dancefloor was rammed........Me, I did have a bit of the, 'Where's the Bride?' moment!

Herein lies the arguement...I often complain on here when people say give the paying punter what they want....I whole heartedly disagree....Set your stall out and stick to your guns thats what successful nights do imo. Don't wanna keep comparing this venue to SHS but Dave never deviates from his policy and he gets the punters in. Steve and Ian were prsented with a dilema, they had people complaining about the music so they gave them what they wanted at the end of the night, the floor was rammed but the music was strictly, 'compliation CD' Even the guys would admit that. Ive heard Steve and Ian play blinding sets so Im not knocking either of them believe me.

Both Steve and Ian are involvd in the scooter scene too and thats why they knew how to 'save the night' for the majority of the punters!

In answer to the original question, this was not a typical Boogaloo night in my experience but also it was not a terrible night, certainly not the worst northern night ive been to.....clearly whoever said that has not been out in Southend recently lol.....Ive been to a few local nights where I would have considered hacking my arm off with a pen knike to escape after 127 minutes 'f**k 127 hours!!! Anyway I digress...........

4 The DJ's, When I arrived Little Ian was on but to be honest I didnt really notice what was playing because I was chatting and saying hello to everyone. Think Big Ian was next, He played some great RnB and I danced to most of it plus some 60's northern nothing that stands out so obviously not too offensive! Chad was next up and he played a mixed bag. Maybe if im being critical it was the flow rather than the individual tunes which made it feel a bit disjointed. but I did dance to most of his set. Its no secret the 70's stuff doesnt do it for me but thats just me lol. Think Kev came on after Chad. He also played a mixed bag plus one excellent RnB tune which I didnt catch the name of. Towards the end of his set he said he'd been asked to play som oldies as requests and duely obliged. Ian and Steve double decked after that and Ive alrady commented on the last hour.

The Middle of the road northern lobby is very powerful and in the end people power won, Trouble is the people who want something different werent sated at the end and the popular oldies brigade didnt enjoy the beginig of the night...like I say, 'no win situation'

Well thats about it really, would just like to say thank you to Steve and Ian (and Cira of course) for holdin the fort.

Great to see loads of friends there, thank you for all your compliments,

See you all out on the floor somewhere soon

Helen

great post helen..well written...are you going to enter it for the pulitzer prize...lololol only joking thanks very much for your views on the night

moldie

Edited by Guest
Guest outonthefloor

Bearsy, you should have Dj'd then they really would have had summit to complain about.....:hatsoff2: :hatsoff2: :lol: (couldnt find the tumble weed emoticon!!!!)

xxxxxxxx Love you xxxxxxx

Guest outonthefloor

great post helen..well written...are you going to enter it for the pulitzer price...lololol only joking thanks very much for your views on the night

moldie

Lol xx would do but need glasses and spell check first xx

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy, you should have Dj'd then they really would have had summit to complain about.....:hatsoff2: :hatsoff2: :lol: (couldnt find the tumble weed emoticon!!!!)

xxxxxxxx Love you xxxxxxx

laugh.gif:wave:

xxxxxxxxxx Love you too xxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest kent soul club

As far as I can see, the only people to complain about last night are Samuisoul and Julie/Kev.

I've read all the posts and all others mostly fair/supportive comments :hatsoff2:

All in all a storm in a teacup.

Boogaloo will survive the storm :hatsoff2:

As far as I can see, the only people to complain about last night are Samuisoul and Julie/Kev.

I've read all the posts and all others mostly fair/supportive comments yes.gif

All in all a storm in a teacup.

Boogaloo will survive the storm :hatsoff2:

Of course Boogaloo will survive Martin :hatsoff2: and I will frequent it on many other occasions for sure,but as for only 3 of us making complaints i suggest you go put your glasses on and read the thread again you know me well Martin and know for a fact I post a true and honest review wherever I go as you have commented on my reviews many a time :lol: I have the upmost respect for everyone involved with the running of Boogaloo and any other event i go to even yours :wave: it was just unfortunate that it didn`t swing it for me on a personal level last night .......not bad after going for 5- 6 yrs eh ?

regards

Julie x

Well, here I am basking in 30 degree heat in the most beautiful jungle lodge you´ve ever seen. Thought I´d just check my emails and bingo - it´s a sunami.We´ve never had so much stuff written about Boogaloosoul in the whole 10 years we´ve been operating.

Look, as I´ve always said you don´t hang around long in this scene unless you´re in it for the long run and prepared to take a few on the chin from time to time. I call it feedback. I´d rather honest feedback than a steady stream of dwindling nights where no one turns up so we call it a day and we never knew why. Don´t mind the comments made and I´ve emailed those to let them know that.

The one thing about Boogaloosoul is that it´s never the same night twice. Sometimes rarer, sometimes classics by the mile. I try to pick djs that bring something different every month. Sometimes you leave coz it didn´t hit the mark and sometimes you leave thinking it was the best night you´ve ever been to. I like that and perhaps our happy throng of regulars do to.

I do admit that it does sometimes seems like a social club early doors and that at times it does take a bit of time to warm up but a lot of people come because it gives them the chance to chat with old mates for an hour or two before hitting the dancefloor.

I would have loved to be there but I´m glad I´ve got the likes of Little Ian, Ciara, Steve and Barbara to hold the fort for me when I´m away . Couldn´t do it without them. Thanks guys. I´ll be back for the next one on the 12th of March with some more dodgy RnB, durgy Latin and rotten 60´s soul that´ll probably get booed off by Pam. :hatsoff2:

Anyway I´m off to visit the biggest waterfalls in the world tomorrow. It´s a tough life but someones got to do it. At least there´s no mosquitos in the UK.

Cheers and goodnight.

Warren

Guest kent soul club

Of course Boogaloo will survive Martin :rolleyes: and I will frequent it on many other occasions for sure,but as for only 3 of us making complaints i suggest you go put your glasses on and read the thread again you know me well Martin and know for a fact I post a true and honest review wherever I go as you have commented on my reviews many a time :lol: I have the upmost respect for everyone involved with the running of Boogaloo and any other event i go to even yours :D it was just unfortunate that it didn`t swing it for me on a personal level last night .......not bad after going for 5- 6 yrs eh ?

regards

Julie x

Oh, Julie , I read quite well :D The only contributors who were actually there are Samsui, Myself, yourself, MadKev, Simsy, Rugby Soulgirl (sorry forgotten her name!) Helen, Soulboy 101, and Dave Greenhill. Then obviously Ian and Ceira.

I had a good night, Soulboy 101 had a good night, Simsy made constuctive criticism, as did Rugby Soul Girl, Dave was non-commital (very wise!) Helen wrote a fair and supportive review. So I am correct in saying only the starter of the thread and you and Kev actually complained.:yes:

I could, of course, have got my wife and my sister and my daughter all to post seperately saying what a great night they had but that would just be silly!wink.gif

My last post (and I mean it!)

Hopefully see you soon, kind regards :yes: Magoo x

Oh, Julie , I read quite well biggrin.gif The only contributors who were actually there are Samsui, Myself, yourself, MadKev, Simsy, Rugby Soulgirl (sorry forgotten her name!) Helen, Soulboy 101, and Dave Greenhill. Then obviously Ian and Ceira.

I had a good night, Soulboy 101 had a good night, Simsy made constuctive criticism, as did Rugby Soul Girl, Dave was non-commital (very wise!) Helen wrote a fair and supportive review. So I am correct in saying only the starter of the thread and you and Kev actually complained.:lol:

I could, of course, have got my wife and my sister and my daughter all to post seperately saying what a great night they had but that would just be silly!:yes:

Hopefully see you soon, kind regards :rolleyes: Magoo x

MWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :yes::D

went to the first couple at the new venue and had a great time, just been to busy to get down there since, having said that apart from shs the sound quality at all soul nights i have attended iin the past couple of years has been rubbish , seems to be something the soul crowd puts up with.speakers and amps that are clearly to small ,not loud enough for the venue etc.

went to the first couple at the new venue and had a great time, just been to busy to get down there since, having said that apart from shs the sound quality at all soul nights i have attended iin the past couple of years has been rubbish , seems to be something the soul crowd puts up with.speakers and amps that are clearly to small ,not loud enough for the venue etc.

At Solid Hit we HAVE to have good sound quality Martin.................Martin Ainscough turns up at every one :yes::rolleyes:

Guest Little Ian!

Oh, Julie , I read quite well :yes: The only contributors who were actually there are Samsui, Myself, yourself, MadKev, Simsy, Rugby Soulgirl (sorry forgotten her name!) Helen, Soulboy 101, and Dave Greenhill. Then obviously Ian and Ceira.

I had a good night, Soulboy 101 had a good night, Simsy made constuctive criticism, as did Rugby Soul Girl, Dave was non-commital (very wise!) Helen wrote a fair and supportive review. So I am correct in saying only the starter of the thread and you and Kev actually complained.:lol:

I could, of course, have got my wife and my sister and my daughter all to post seperately saying what a great night they had but that would just be silly!:lol:

Hopefully see you soon, kind regards :thumbup: Magoo x

you could have all sat round the same computer to contribute"but remember to sign in under .....whoops your own name" :lol:

Guest Little Ian!

that wouldnt be a little go cause i signed using julie,s page would it ian , cause if it was look underneath where i put next post :thumbup::lol: :lol: :lol::yes: :yes:

come on of course i saw it. tought it was funny! as obviously mcgoo did.

well we do liove together and no , i dont need someone too tell me whats what , as i have my own opinions ian , and im a big lad and can look after myself thanks

Guest dannybeer

Warren I'm jealous!

We had another great night at Boogaloo. It's funny that the last one didn't raise a flurry of posts like this one did, so maybe that tells you something? Thanks to Ian and Ciara and the other DJ's and luckily no Luton playing this time and wreaking havoc with the PA.

As for Pam booing - surely this never happens Warren?

Keep the faith

BTW don't go chasing waterfalls

Well, here I am basking in 30 degree heat in the most beautiful jungle lodge you´ve ever seen. Thought I´d just check my emails and bingo - it´s a sunami.We´ve never had so much stuff written about Boogaloosoul in the whole 10 years we´ve been operating.

Look, as I´ve always said you don´t hang around long in this scene unless you´re in it for the long run and prepared to take a few on the chin from time to time. I call it feedback. I´d rather honest feedback than a steady stream of dwindling nights where no one turns up so we call it a day and we never knew why. Don´t mind the comments made and I´ve emailed those to let them know that.

The one thing about Boogaloosoul is that it´s never the same night twice. Sometimes rarer, sometimes classics by the mile. I try to pick djs that bring something different every month. Sometimes you leave coz it didn´t hit the mark and sometimes you leave thinking it was the best night you´ve ever been to. I like that and perhaps our happy throng of regulars do to.

I do admit that it does sometimes seems like a social club early doors and that at times it does take a bit of time to warm up but a lot of people come because it gives them the chance to chat with old mates for an hour or two before hitting the dancefloor.

I would have loved to be there but I´m glad I´ve got the likes of Little Ian, Ciara, Steve and Barbara to hold the fort for me when I´m away . Couldn´t do it without them. Thanks guys. I´ll be back for the next one on the 12th of March with some more dodgy RnB, durgy Latin and rotten 60´s soul that´ll probably get booed off by Pam. :lol:

Anyway I´m off to visit the biggest waterfalls in the world tomorrow. It´s a tough life but someones got to do it. At least there´s no mosquitos in the UK.

Cheers and goodnight.

Warren

Warren

Well said Warren, as a promoter you have to expect negative (as long as it is constructive) as well as positive feedback. Time and time again I read comments from people who say one thing on the night and then the opposite on a look back. People should be honest and maybe then we can have a true reflection of what is happening and if something is wrong it can be rectified for next time.

Guest Stuart T

Thanks for the plug Wiggy but can i just correct you ? You won't get ANY seventies/modern :thumbsup::lol:

I played a seventies record there once. I waited until you had gone out of the room.

Guest Little Ian!

Warren I'm jealous!

We had another great night at Boogaloo. It's funny that the last one didn't raise a flurry of posts like this one did, so maybe that tells you something? Thanks to Ian and Ciara and the other DJ's and luckily no Luton playing this time and wreaking havoc with the PA.

As for Pam booing - surely this never happens Warren?

Keep the faith

BTW don't go chasing waterfalls

dont be to jealous of warren he's wrestling with spiders the size birds at the moment :lol: and getting bitten by huge mossy's :lol:

glad you had a good fun filled nite,always good to see you.

Little! Ian

Warren I'm jealous!

We had another great night at Boogaloo. It's funny that the last one didn't raise a flurry of posts like this one did, so maybe that tells you something?

Keep the faith

what could it possibly tell anyone?....there were sound issues at that one too

moldie

Guest Little Ian!

what could it possibly tell anyone?....there were sound issues at that one too

moldie

which were sorted very quickley as you stated in last months lookbacks.

nothing wrong with th sound when you dj'ed,and you were on for about 2 hours

Little! Ian

which were sorted very quickley as you stated in last months lookbacks.

nothing wrong with th sound when you dj'ed,and you were on for about 2 hours

Little! Ian

yes ian i did post that last month as it was the truth....and yes you did let me play for almost two hours which i was very grateful for and i also posted a you tube to show what a good time ppl had.......i also posted what a warm welcome ppl recieved from yourself and ciara which again was the truth.....are you upset with anything ive posted in this months lookbacks?

pity i was the only person who did bother too post apart from martin...if ppl accept good reviews then they have to accept bad ones too as warren posted

i never complained about the sound at all..in fact i never complained about anything and in this months lookbacks i havent said anything untrue either

i just posted an opinion and nothing else

moldie

Source Advert