Bretby Allnighter

Guest ada73

sam moore used to run them and i dont think i ever missed one of them . i met some real nice people there ..then they knocked it down :lol::yes: at least i got my all over now badge to keep..any body else used to go :D

Edited by ada73
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

sam moore used to run them and i dont think i ever missed one of them . i met some real nice people there ..then they knocked it down :( :( at least i got my all over now badge to keep..any body else used to go :thumbsup:

I think this should be in All Our Yesterdays,

Yes I used to go to Bretby,its 5mins from me.

Kev.

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Remember standing outside with one or two others about 4am looking across Bretby golf course steaming like a racehorse.biggrin.gif

and Sam Moore,p*ssing his self laughing at me when I walked in covered in snow,I looked like a snowman,hey there was a blizzard going on outside.:shades:

Happy times.

Kev.

Social source share

I went once in the late 90's. Chris King was one of the DJ's. i seem to remember a 2nd room too. :shades:

Yes a modern disco room, three rooms actualy i think in the end i'm sure nearly.

Social source share

sam moore used to run them and i dont think i ever missed one of them . i met some real nice people there ..then they knocked it down sad.gifsad.gif at least i got my all over now badge to keep..any body else used to go :shades:

As far as I remember the Allnighters certainly, initially were promoted by Dave Thorley & Chris King, some great records played there, both when it was a Soul Night (Chris Anderton) & an Allnighter, the Modern & Crossover Rooms were fantastic, Crossover Room closed in the end, but I had many a great night DJing in there.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

sam moore used to run them and i dont think i ever missed one of them . i met some real nice people there ..then they knocked it down sad.gifsad.gif at least i got my all over now badge to keep..any body else used to go :shades:

I remember going to the first all-nighter run by Dave Thorley and Chris King - it caused a bit of a fuss amongst those of us travelling as it clashed with the Wilton (bear in mind, events were few and far between them days). Remember Guy Hennigan playing some decent stuff, whilst Kingy played a load of banged-out tripe. Frankie Knuckles was a monster in the modern room. I thought it was a shadow of Chris Anderton's soul nights, so we never went back - there was no contest really, as it continued to clash with the Wilton. No contest really. no.gif

Social source share

im sure sam moore was running them towards the end because i remember he tried to replace it at a working mans club in ashby and it was a bleedin wash out(the venue) were we were sitting there was about ten old people sittin there with open mouths watching us all.. they stayed for the late drink. surfice to say he never had another one :thumbup::lol:

Edited by ada73
Social source share

:lol::thumbup: Never went to the allnighters ......................but the Soul nights now there is a topic of its own!!

Steve

The nighters no where near as good as the soul nights run by Chris, probably why I didn't go all that often to the nighters, music was a big step backwards IMO.

Social source share

The nighters no where near as good as the soul nights run by Chris, probably why I didn't go all that often to the nighters, music was a big step backwards IMO.

Might have been a step backwards in the Northern room but were a giant leap forwards in the Modern room when ran by Terry Gee.

Social source share

I went about maybe half a dozen times when it was a normal night, early or mid 90s and once to the all-nighter, around 2000 I think.

Still got a couple of C-90 tapes some where from the soul nights.

It was a right bastard of a drive to get to, when you came off the M6 at Stoke it seened to take forever to get there.:thumbup:

Social source share

im sure sam moore was running them towards the end because i remember he tried to replace it at a working mans club in ashby and it was a bleedin wash out(the venue) were we were sitting there was about ten old people sittin there with open mouths watching us all.. they stayed for the late drink. surfice to say he never had another one :thumbsup::no:

The Ashby one was run by Steve Wileman,its true about the old folks.:D

Kev.

Social source share

I remember going to the first all-nighter run by Dave Thorley and Chris King - it caused a bit of a fuss amongst those of us travelling as it clashed with the Wilton (bear in mind, events were few and far between them days). Remember Guy Hennigan playing some decent stuff, whilst Kingy played a load of banged-out tripe. Frankie Knuckles was a monster in the modern room. I thought it was a shadow of Chris Anderton's soul nights, so we never went back - there was no contest really, as it continued to clash with the Wilton. No contest really. :no:

I used to go to both Bretby & Wilton & enjoyed both, I was also very flattered to have DJ'd at both, but as I was travelling from the South, Bretby would be the easier option sometimes, especially as this was before I could drive. The Modern & Crossover Rooms were exceptional, CK did play some thrashed oldies in the Main Room sometimes, but this was more than made up for by the likes of Dave Thorley & others.

There were definitly records which were played at Bretby Nighters as newies, I'm thinking unissued Arthur Prysock for starters, which was a f*cking anthem...........think Bad Weather was Bretby & maybe the unissued Carol Anderson & a great resuscitated oldie Willie & the Mighty Magnificents - Check It Baby.........etc

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Was a regular being relatively close for me..............did Chris A's night (maybe only once or twice??), but was a regular at the nighter through it's phases I think..........Goucher, Soul Sam, Gavin Page, Polly, Richard Francis, Dave Thorley........all in that Modern Room.................I recall I was booked to DJ by Terry Gee but it never happened as that was when it closed down :D So, I never managed to jock in that room at the back, but I did spin in that older looking room on the front............and I remember being in that room one night as the snow came down and we wondered if we would be snowed in! :D

I just looked for a playlist from there but I don't have one unfortunately.............the one record I definitely remember playing was Glenn Underground "Your Life" on Nitelife Collective.............which tells you all you need to know about the music modern wise at Bretby! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Martin, I hope Terry is not reading this, he won't be able to get a hat big enough to fit him anymore.:thumbsup:

I think this refurs to the modern room at the earlier nighters dave? Your right about the hat tho!!!

Social source share

Was a regular being relatively close for me..............did Chris A's night (maybe only once or twice??), but was a regular at the nighter through it's phases I think..........Goucher, Soul Sam, Gavin Page, Polly, Richard Francis, Dave Thorley........all in that Modern Room.................I recall I was booked to DJ by Terry Gee but it never happened as that was when it closed down :D So, I never managed to jock in that room at the back, but I did spin in that older looking room on the front............and I remember being in that room one night as the snow came down and we wondered if we would be snowed in! :D

I just looked for a playlist from there but I don't have one unfortunately.............the one record I definitely remember playing was Glenn Underground "Your Life" on Nitelife Collective.............which tells you all you need to know about the music modern wise at Bretby! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark

This in the main was an enjoyable time, with Butch in the northern room playing some killa stuff, and a banging modern room. But it was also a time of lots of politics, people not coming because this person didn't like that person, venue wars etc, in the end it pretty well put stop to my interest in running events.

But the modern room was a real joy, with Dj's as well as the ones you have mention above, Soul Sam, Cliff Steel, Andy Witmore even had Jonathan on one time. Big tunes from the like of Frankie Knuckles, BMU, Sounds Of Blackness, George Benson & Roy Ayres (Nu Yorcian Soul), Ann Nesby, Mary J Blige, Aretha Franklin, Terry Ronald, Rodney Mannsfield, Andre De Lange, Sunshine Anderson to name but a few.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh Dave, they were proper happy days for me :yes: Lots of the London crew in that fab modern room, with everything from 70s to new releases being played. Met loads of great people and made some really good friends. Did the modern room close an hour before the end? I remember everybody going downstairs to join the oldies crowd for the last few numbers each time.

And I agree, how bloody long did it seem from the M1 to Bretby, at 30mph with speed cameras round every corner? The first hundred miles used to flash by in what seemed like minutes, and the last bit was an eternity :thumbsup:

post-8338-0-68059200-1296693314_thumb.jp

Social source share

had some good nights there,went for first timr in about 97. on an old suzuki titan that left everyone i overtook in a thick blue haze of two stroke smoke, tGot stopped and strip searched in a bloody police van on epsom high street after returning from bretby one frosty sunday morning.. the reason i got stopped was because me number plate was hangin by a single screw, the reason i was searched, the wpc thought i lokked a bit red eyed, No i havent been smoking weed at 9am on a sunday morning officer , ive just driven back from bloody leicestershire in freezin fog with me visor up . she didnt believe me and called for bloody back up to have me searched for chemicals, imagine the effrontery. mind you , she was right about having no tax disc .voiding the insurance. . six points and 320 quid fine..bizarrely that first night i went, was the only time i didnt get lost on the way there or back.

Social source share

theresa , ? 30 mph? my arse in a tin. when you took me to the wilton from merton in south london the speedo never dropped below 105 in that the litle ford you had. i,d just managed to say hello to drew, lit a fag , had a can of beer , and it was time to get out .

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

theresa , ? 30 mph? my arse in a tin. when you took me to the wilton from merton in south london the speedo never dropped below 105 in that the litle ford you had. i,d just managed to say hello to drew, lit a fag , had a can of beer , and it was time to get out .

Ha ha, only just saw this Andy. Ahh, them were the days & no mistake, lol, Wimbledon to the Griffin in Leeds in 2 hours flat. On the way to the Ritz once we had to stop because Lucy said her head was imploding from the G-force. Nothing to do with the gear obviously :thumbsup:

It's not the same now I have to drive the Price Family Bus :thumbsup:

Edited by theresa
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!