Connie Clark - My Sugar Baby (Joker)

sold a mint- for 275 about six weeks ago , reckon thats about rightyes.gif

A valuation like that would imply to me that this is a relatively common record. In my experience it's not an easy record to find. In the 25 years I've been collecting, I only stumbled across it once and I bought it. Other records that sell for 275 or thereabouts appear on lists regularly. Where are all the copies of Connie Clark?

Social source share

A valuation like that would imply to me that this is a relatively common record. In my experience it's not an easy record to find. In the 25 years I've been collecting, I only stumbled across it once and I bought it. Other records that sell for 275 or thereabouts appear on lists regularly. Where are all the copies of Connie Clark?

MAYBE YOU'VE JUST BEEN UNLUCKY WITH IT, PROBABLY SEEN MORE THAN A DOZEN OR SO DOWN THE YEARS, THO IN THE GREAT SCHEME OF THINGS THATS NOT A LOT OF COPIES, BUT STILL THINK 600 IS A TAD OVERPRICED THO

BRI PINCH

Social source share

The golden rule appears to be if you have a copy it's worth twice it's value and if you haven't it's worth half the value.

IMO Brian's at £275 was a very fair price and I reckon £450 would not be at all a surprise. However this 45 tends to be in collections and those who have it wouldn't sell at £275 or £600.

Wilxy it's on styrene or brittle plastic anyway [not bendy] and delta # is 58486 with MR [kinda joined up] in circle stamped and J-1 scratched in.

ROD

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The golden rule appears to be if you have a copy it's worth twice it's value and if you haven't it's worth half the value.

Agreed! :-)

Seriously, though. I think this is a much rarer record than others with a similar pricetag, and I'm surprised that this doesn't fetch more, particularly since other well-known classics have skyrocketed in recent years. Even taking into account the deflation of the last 2 years, 275 is still relatively cheap in my opinion. I suppose it could be that there just isn't much demand for it, but I really don't understand how this doesn't sell for much more.

Social source share

Was it booted twice then , one on a Vinyl Black Label & one on (as rod said) brittle Styrenish with a Yellow label,

or was my Yellow label a one off Extremely rare west coast release :D

Cheers

Swifty thumbsup.gif

I think it's been booted 3 times Swifty; as above and a vinyl copy with a maroon label and silver lettering.

Greg.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

didnt johnny manship get a silly price in auction for this some years ago somethin like £900......... sure he did. ive never been a big fan of this. last time i had chance to buy it it was £150 early 2000`s . i bought the ivories instead. not as rare but much much better IMHO

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Always hated this record, too poppy. :lol:

The record is the epitome of what a traditional Northern Soul classic should be!

Shame you do not have the taste to apprieciate it!

Social source share

...so she's 'Chris Clark' of Motown fame, right?

Apparently Chris Clark was asked about this and she said it isn't actually her: "That's not me [said Chris]. I've listened to it because I'd been asked that before.

The mystery of who Connie Clark is(was) may well continue forever!!

Social source share

Apparently Chris Clark was asked about this and she said it isn't actually her: "That's not me [said Chris]. I've listened to it because I'd been asked that before.

The mystery of who Connie Clark is(was) may well continue forever!!

I heard that too Greg - that is wasn't Chris Clark

Plus, I agree about how tough this one is to find yes.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Mine was a classic minter Soul Bowl purchase at about £3 I think thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

:yes: HI THAT IS WHAT JOHN SOLD IT FOR 3 QUID AND THAT WAS GOOD MONEY, HE HAD 5 OR 6 COPY'S IN LATE 74 ONLY 2 WERE LISTED IN MAY 75, I ASSUME THE OTHERS WENT TO DJ'S FOR A BIGGER AMOUNT. I WILL CHECK MY LISTS.

:) DAVE

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

i think simon souson should be able to tell you that there is no such thing as an original! or is that just my opinion?

someone please scan one

Social source share

i think simon souson should be able to tell you that there is no such thing as an original! or is that just my opinion?

someone please scan one

This my original copy - on styrene - yellow label with black bars - Delta #58486

Details of boots are in Manship's boots guide - plus shown in the colour pages at back of Manship's price guide.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-67377800-1295301162_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

someone please scan one

I'd been told that as well (back in the day) .There must be a reason why that rumor was scotched ............Anyone ??

EDIT

The 58486 Delta number obviously clears that one up - hatsoff2.gif

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Well, we'll get a new valuation for a nice (mint minus) condition copy soon enough, Manship has just put one up on his auction (knowing John, probably as a response to this thread - strike while the iron's hot!).

Bet there's more than one or two so called 'nutters' happy to pay well over £300 for it. And rightly so, I certainly wouldn't part with mine for less then £500. Anyone selling (m-) for £250 would have to be either daft or desperate!!

Social source share

Well, we'll get a new valuation for a nice (mint minus) condition copy soon enough, Manship has just put one up on his auction (knowing John, probably as a response to this thread - strike while the iron's hot!).

Bet there's more than one or two so called 'nutters' happy to pay well over £300 for it. And rightly so, I certainly wouldn't part with mine for less then £500. Anyone selling (m-) for £250 would have to be either daft or desperate!!

you are spot on. I traded my mint minus original about four years ago at 500 UKP. A good price at the time but have I had any chance to buy it back ever since ? No.

Social source share

Spotted that one too mate.

Funny as I had been thinking of asking John to auction mine and just seeing what happened

Well, now I can see what it goes for without selling mine yes.gif

Agree with you on price and not letting it go for less

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Spotted that one too mate.

Funny as I had been thinking of asking John to auction mine and just seeing what happened

Well, now I can see what it goes for without selling mine yes.gif

Agree with you on price and not letting it go for less

Cheers

Richard

would you sell it just to find out what the record is worth. thats very odd.behaviour :lol: think i might give him anthony and the delsonics just to find out what its worth............. seriously i think youre right with your valuation £5/600. though john will probably get more. in reality you can always knock a third of what john gets to reflect a true value. amazing how john can pull one from the shelves as this thread rumbles on though

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

would you sell it just to find out what the record is worth. thats very odd.behaviour :lol: think i might give him anthony and the delsonics just to find out what its worth............. seriously i think youre right with your valuation £5/600. though john will probably get more. in reality you can always knock a third of what john gets to reflect a true value. amazing how john can pull one from the shelves as this thread rumbles on though

dave

You callin' me odd! laugh.gif

What I meant was that I had been thinking about asking John to auction mine anyway as I was thinking of selling - and that I would have been OK with the result knowing it would be a decent price in any event.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

The record is the epitome of what a traditional Northern Soul classic should be!Shame you do not have the taste to apprieciate it!

Why is it a shame??...... no.gif

I also don't have the taste to appreciate cheese & onion pie, does that also worry you? :hatsoff2:

I appreciate that a lot of people like the record and thats their taste, I also can hear that its a very good record but its not to my taste.....not one that I would buy or play.

Get over it!

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
:thumbsup: HI ALL...JUST A BIT MORE INFO ON THE PRESSINGS OF THIS CLASSIC, I WOULD GO ON RECORD THAT BOTH VOCAL & INSTRUMENTAL SIDES OF THIS CLASSIC, AT THE TIME OF PLAY, MADE IT A TOP DANCER AT WIGAN, AND LES WE FORGET, 80% OF PEOPLE ON THE SCENE IN THE MID 70s WENT TO WIGAN TO DANCE AND HAVE THE BEST SATURDAY NIGHT OUT IN THE COUNTRY, MAKING A RECORD LIKE CONNIE CLARK A CERTAIN WINNER AND TOP SELLER ON RE-PRES, AND I WOULD GUESS ON SOUL SOURCE WE HAVE ALL HAD A PRESSING OF THIS RECORD AT SOME TIME, IT WAS FIRST PRESSED ON A BLACK LABEL BY SIMON, AND THEN THERE WERE FOLLOW UP PRESSINGS AND EVEN A YELLOW LOOK ALIKE COUNTERFEIT COPY, BUT MY COPY IN MY COLLECTION OF CLASSICS, IS THE ONE IN THE PHOTO, WHICH I BELIEVE WAS PRESSED UP IN 1977, HOWEVER HAS ANY ONE GOT A LIST OF THE ORDER THEY COME OUT, I WOULD SPECULATE THAT MY COPY IS THE RAREST, BUT NOT SURE AND MANY PEOPLE MIGHT SAY THE YELLOW COPY IS THE ONE TO OWN IF YOU WANT IT IN A DJ BOX, ??? THEN I WOULD SAY WE DINT PLAY BOOTLEGS. (old school thinking):lol: DAVE

post-13241-0-90287400-1297263717_thumb.j

Social source share

Wishing now I had been more proactive and just offered my copy (it's in as good condition as the auction copy) to John to auction, rather than asking on here what one would go for laugh.giflaugh.gif

Anyway, price-wise - £250 seems as stated above seems a tad cheap ph34r.gif

Connie Clark

My Sugar Baby Vocal & Instrumental

A glorious, near new copy! This is classic Northern Soul from the desk of Frank Wilson, created by the great man in the summer of 1965 in Los Angeles under the licence of Motown and Jobette music. So very, very hard to acquire in fine condition, unlike most-all Northern Soul real-deal classics they have been loved-to-death by the DJ and the clubs. This copy has just emerged from a long-term collection in eye-popping condition. Two stunningly perfect labels and clean as a whistle vinyl that plays totally perfect, check the scan and the soundfile, as always directly lifted off the listing. Finding a better copy, may prove impossible.

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 861.00

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Likewise Greg (although I was less explicit in voicing an opinion, the reason for opening the thread was to highlight that this is a tough 45 that rightly should command a decent price) thumbsup.gif

There will probably be a rash of them on eBay now and the price will crash laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!