Paul Weller

• Replies 69
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ShaneH

is it true that the original backing was performed by 'little feat' (west coast hippy band, similar vein to the grateful dead) ?

Shane

Social source share

is it true that the original backing was performed by 'little feat' (west coast hippy band, similar vein to the grateful dead) ?

Shane

Yes it's true. They backed Nolan/N.F. Porter on most of his recordings ("Keep On Keeping On", etc.). Wouldn't compare Little Feat to Grateful Dead though and definitely not hippie... They were much more of a rootsy The Band kinda group and released quite a bunch of nice records IMO.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

thanks sebastian. i have not really heard much of little feat. I do remember an ex girlfriends hippy parents being into them. Thats where I made the quick comparison. I do remember 'the band' though and I did like bits of their stuff.

Cheers

Shane

Social source share

Yeah but I was trying to make the point that he can't sing for toofee (Molesworth) and he should give up on the soul and do a bit of angry middle aged Brit stuff. I'm not bitter that he doesn't ask me to DJ any more.

Ady

PS Has any Weller fan heard The Bottle and are they prepared to defend it's existence?

Social source share

Guest Kolla

For those who don't know Weller's version of the song here's a sound sample

arg! I was going to ignore this topic but I can't. I admit it IS a massive messy jangle of a music crime.. indeed anyone trying to cover the great Gil Scott-Heron is just plain WRONG (with the exception of Esther Phillips, of course!).

Forgive me modfather....

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

The Paul Weller cd is god-awful.. his version of "wishing on a star" (Rose Royce) is utter crap aswell, i've always liked mr Wellers outings (prefferably Style Council) but this is really poor IMO... :-(

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

we're talking utterly boring mossy-rock music, he's trying to do "hercules" aswell and i don't think my highly praised Aaron Neville 45 will ever sound the same after hearing Mr Wellers version :-(

best

Leo

Social source share

With regard to Weller's spin on "The Bottle"; I can't agree that it's shite. I wouldn't play it for pleasure, but it's an interesting arrangement. No offence meant, but I've never understood the attitude that implies "our music" is sacred, and that cover versions are the devil's work.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I think covers can be good, not really ns but Weller did "promised land" (Joe Smooth) which is awesome! Always liked Dexys aswell...

there is a Swedish singer called Bj¶rn Skifs who did a cover of "open the door to your heart" which is quite funny..

best

Leo

Social source share

"No offence meant, but I've never understood the attitude that implies "our music" is sacred, and that cover versions are the devil's work. "

I like covers if they're any good, eg The Alan Bown Set 'It's Growing', but they should only be done if they add a new angle or put something different or better in there. Paul just hasn't got a jazz voice, it's as feeble as Madonna's 'American Pie' (or any cover by Blondie).

Ady

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I've never understood the attitude that implies "our music" is sacred, and that cover versions are the devil's work.

I don't think anyone so far has displayed that attitude Dayo. I love The Jam's versions of "Movin' On Up" and "Heat Wave"... I just think the general consensus on the forum is that his cover of The Bottle is crap.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

it's as feeble as Madonna's 'American Pie' (or any cover by Blondie).

Ady

hahahaha :-D :-D :-D good point...

...and soft cell? Brrr......

Talking about new angles, i really like Deep Sensation/Brothers of soul when they use raresoul samples (sampled Syl J, Will Collins & Will Power e.tc.) when they played over here we gave them requests to play the originals, one of the guys face just lit up!

best

Leo

Social source share

Ok, I like a hell of a lot of Weller music, but I never liked "The Bottle". I think "If I Could Only Be Sure" is within Weller's range and without doubt he is an excellent musician.......I'm gonna reserve judgement on this one 'til I hear it- It ain't gonna be the same as Nolan Porter's it'll just be DIFFERENT...

P.S His cover of "stoned out of my mind" by the Chi-Lites WAS good.....

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I think the new album is seriously the dogs doodahs... his voice sounds better than ever... especially on sister sledge song - thinking of you.

As for his version of "The Bottle" - I always hated the original and the arrangement is an improvement for me. His version's of "if i could only be sure" and "wishing on a star" are so unbelievably brilliant .... turn them out LOUD man.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think the new album is seriously the dogs doodahs... his voice sounds better than ever... especially on sister sledge song - thinking of you.

As for his version of "The Bottle" - I always hated the original and the arrangement is an improvement for me.  His version's of "if i could only be sure" and "wishing on a star" are so unbelievably brilliant .... turn them out LOUD man.

I'm sorry but the very thought makes me shudder PW used to be a bit of a hero of mine at one time but the though of him reduced to doing a "NOW that's what i call paul weller Vol 9975" is a bit sad really

Just MVFHO of course and i admit i ain't heard but WHY????

John

Social source share

Come on... if you're dissing somebody just because they've done an album of covers ... that's pretty much the majority of major soul artistes surely?

After 27 years in the industry, why not ? Especially if you can add something to the originals (which i think he has).

Plus if it brings Nolan Porter and Aaron Neville to a new audience (people will hunt down the originals to compare) it can only be a good thing surely?

I've beeen a Weller fan for donkeys years and wasn't sure when I heard the songs he's picked ... (you'd expect him to have done the Beatles/Curtis Mayfield/Small Faces etc) - But it's a brave decision to pick the songs he has and for the most part I think it works.

You can't really judge until you've heard them to be fair... if you don't like them after a listen ... fair enough.

Social source share

I always hated weller. This was the man whom, i quote, 'never had anything to do with the Mod revival'. Everyone used to ask me what got me into mod "Weller?" they used to ask? As if. A man with trousers 2 inch too short and those horrid Jam shoes?! Pleeease. The man's an egomaniac. He hasn't done owt good since wild wood. If he batters another classic, I'm gonna rip his throat out like someone should have years ago.

Old mods can still be cool without being a knob. Look at Eddie P. Tho I think they're mates, so that kinda disqualifies my arguement. And Weller's the shittest dancer. Calls himself a mod. HAHA HA.

Sadly, my lasting memory is him trying to regain some cred by duetting with the effortless T.C. Remember when Stevie met Macca? Need i say more....

Social source share

I'm with Dangerdan on this one. I ain't heard the album yet but i'm reserving judgement. Matt, I suppose its ok to seriously dislike someone and ya got maybe some valid points on the dancing, etc but surely modernism is a state of mind for a lot of people and the emphasis is on the clothes?

I personally like the fact that he still "looks back" to move forward- surely we all do that? (IMHO) Thought the Marx brothers qoute was hilarious tho'...... :) ))

Social source share

I'm sorry but the very thought makes me shudder PW used to be a bit of a hero of mine at one time but the though of him reduced to doing a "NOW that's what i call paul weller Vol 9975" is a bit sad really Just MVFHO of course and i admit i ain't heard but WHY????

Mine too, see photos elsewhere on the forum of me in my bedroom circa 1983.... I wanted his babies (take after me mummy ;-))

Social source share

Mine too, see photos elsewhere on the forum of me in my bedroom circa 1983.... I wanted his babies (take after me mummy ;-))

Ive seen that photo, you look like a baby yourself, not that you look much older now :-)

Social source share

I always hated weller. This was the man whom, i quote, 'never had anything to do with the Mod revival'. Everyone used to ask me what got me into mod "Weller?" they used to ask? As if. A man with trousers 2 inch too short and those horrid Jam shoes?!  Pleeease. The man's an egomaniac. He hasn't done owt good since wild wood. If he batters another classic, I'm gonna rip his throat out like someone should have years ago.

Old mods can still be cool without being a knob. Look at Eddie P. Tho I think they're mates, so that kinda disqualifies my arguement. And Weller's the shittest dancer. Calls himself a mod. HAHA HA.

Sadly, my lasting memory is him trying to regain some cred by duetting with the effortless T.C. Remember when Stevie met Macca? Need i say more....

Look at Eddie P ?????

He DOES dress like a nob, ha ha ha ha!!

(Sorry Ed!)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Harrrrrruuuumph!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul fuckin shits chocolate bastard Weller my arse :oP

Social source share

Weller's been around a long time and will still be around for a long time to come. The fact that so many people have joined in this topic on a soul website is testimony to the influence he has had and continues to have. A brilliant songwriter, a great singer, a superb interpreter of other's songs and an inspiration to many. My ticket for Cardiff Arena is booked and I'd rather listen to his soulful singing than a lot of the shite passed off as soul at niters these days..........so there!!!

Social source share

I'd rather listen to his soulful singing than a lot of the shite passed off as soul at niters these days..........so there!!!

When you say shite, what do you consider shite?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Weller's been around a long time and will still be around for a long time to come. The fact that so many people have joined in this topic on a soul website is testimony to the influence he has had and continues to have. A brilliant songwriter, a great singer, a superb interpreter of other's songs and an inspiration to many. My ticket for Cardiff Arena is booked and I'd rather listen to his soulful singing than a lot of the shite passed off as soul at niters these days..........so there!!!

So it's nothing to do with the Mod connection then Mark? Admittedly he does on occassion sing with soul (passion and feeling but then so does robbie williams) but the end product is never (IMVFHO) Soul

John

Social source share

Weller got into Northern and used to get compilation tapes from a mate of mine in the early '80s.(apparently one of his favourites was "Terrible Tom"). This probably led to the northern influence of "Walls Come Tumbling Down" and "Shout To The Top" amonst others.

Perhaps Weller is recording tracks such as these as a tribute to them.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I presume what Mark meant was that the majority of topics on this site are only ever really discussed by a few whereas everyone seems to have an opinion on Paul Weller. Yes, no ... Also , i don't think he said PW was 'soul' - he said he was a soulful singer.

Anyway... the fact that i'm a mod (not a mod revivalist!) probably means my opinion is ridiculously bias and thus void ... so what do I know.

Social source share

Hi Johnny - in reply to your comment, I wasn't suggesting PW was a a soul singer as such, rather that he writes and sings songs which are soulful. The Mod thing is a red herring and irrelevant to the debate over whether (a) Weller is good and ( cool.gif whether his covers of soul songs are good. Weller's no more a mod than any of the football fans who wear the latest High Street fashions.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Hi Johnny - in reply to your comment, I wasn't suggesting PW was a a soul singer as such, rather that he writes and sings songs which are soulful. The Mod thing is a red herring and irrelevant to the debate over whether (a) Weller is good and ( cool.gif whether his covers of soul songs are good. Weller's no more a mod than any of the football fans who wear the latest High Street fashions.

Ah but Mark i think you misunderstood my meaning the only relevance i attributed to the Mod Connection was the fact that more people commented on the subject than some others because they felt comfortable to do so given Wellers profile and association with the Mod scene, not really whether he is or isn't a Mod himself (that seems to change according to his latest whim ;o)). I would agree (& think i did say so) that he sings and writes in a soulful style.

Anyway i saw the King of the Mods the other night and it's Vince Noir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confused?? I am ;o))

Trouty One John

Social source share

Out of interest , what's the definition of a "soul" singer?

Thats a difficuly question and I bet everyones answers are somewhat different, will be interested to see what everyone comes up with myself :-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Out of interest , what's the definition of a "soul" singer?

Otis Redding would be a good benchmark

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh yes and not Shaun Rider LOL ;o))

Spookily enough a mate rang me up the other day asking to be put in touch with the Melon Twister himself because he wants to book him to DJ (obviously not at a soul do) i had to ask but WHY!!!!!!!! ;o))

A man who has seriously lost the plot, but as it happens does like the odd bit of Northern as does Manny from the Stone Roses/Primal Scream

(just bringing it ever so slightly back on topic)

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!