Paul Weller

• Replies 69
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I preferred the worst soul night thread but, seeing as everyone is on one bout PW, thought I'd join you.

But you left us all in suspence on that thread ;-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yes Rod Stewart a great big fat hairy Mod in his day still can't sing to save his life mind ;o))))

John

Social source share

I preferred the worst soul night thread but, seeing as everyone is on one bout PW, thought I'd join you.

Yeah we are all only talking on this thread to wind you up Tony ;-)

Social source share

Oh yes and not Shaun Rider LOL ;o))

Spookily enough a mate rang me up the other day asking to be put in touch with the Melon Twister himself because he wants to book him to DJ (obviously not at a soul do) i had to ask but WHY!!!!!!!! ;o))

A man who has seriously lost the plot, but as it happens does like the odd bit of Northern as does Manny from the Stone Roses/Primal Scream

(just bringing it ever so slightly back on topic)

John

watched documentary on mr rider just last nite - great stuff ! :)

though didnt know you were agent for the stars Johnny

Social source share

Weller's the kind of person to cite Otis and Aretha as the greatest soul singers ever. Which they aren't even close to being. Either of em. MOJO or Q rings him up at every opportunity and goes,'Who are the best mod soul artists ever?' and he goes '...um. Otis and Aretha'. Even tho Otis can't sing a tenth as good as 90% of the soul artists I've heard in 7 years. And he's 40 now!!! Weller. Not Otis.

Social source share

Lots of "Top of the pops-ish" people are into Northern although I'm not sure if that's good or bad. As mentioned, Manny from Primal Scream is into it as are the rest of the band-Andrew Innes from said musical combo(!!!) was at the 100 club allnighter just last week. Maybe it's ok if they like it but don't try to emulate it! Cover versions are invariably crap, whatever the musical genre (with a few exceptions.)

Many other "celebs" have been spotted at various do's- there's a list as long as your arm.My favourite fan however has to be Dale Winton!

At the risk of being lynched, I can't stand Nolan Porter.

Excuse me- I'm in a bit of a funny mood.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I remember a couple of years ago at the Neighbourhood Soul event at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool seeing Roy'Catchphrase' Walker and Stan 'the germans bombed our chippy' Boardman. They had just finished a stand up show next door and I couldn't resist saying hello. Roy was mesmerised and asked me questions about the scene. I took the easy option of telling him the music was failed Motown songs from artists such as Martha Reeves. He looked at the dance floor confused and asked another couple of questions before I had to say 'CAN YOU TELL WHAT IT IS YET, TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE!! He gave me that look of piss off you are not a comedian so I did.

Shane

Social source share

That's a most excellent "star spot" and top marks for engaging them in conversation. I love a C list sighting especially stars from the likes of Eldorado, Fresh Fields etc.

Social source share

.My favourite fan however has to be Dale Winton!

At the risk of being lynched, I can't stand Nolan Porter.

Excuse me- I'm in a bit of a funny mood.

Oh yes have seen him at a soul nighter in the past 2 years as well ;-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

watched documentary on mr rider just last nite - great stuff ! :)

though didnt know you were agent for the stars Johnny

I'm not, i just know people who know people !! If you know what i mean ;o))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Weller's the kind of person to cite Otis and Aretha as the greatest soul singers ever. Which they aren't even close to being. Either of em. MOJO or Q rings him up at every opportunity and goes,'Who are the best mod soul artists ever?' and he goes '...um. Otis and Aretha'. Even tho Otis can't sing a tenth as good as 90% of the soul artists I've heard in 7 years. And he's 40 now!!! Weller. Not Otis.

Matt may i suggest cotton buds??????????????

or if you alrady know the joys of the cotton tipped ticklers then i would strongly suggest that you restarin yourself from delving tooooo deep as it can permanently damage your hearing!!!!

JoT

Social source share

You're far too kind, he's much older than 40!

Social source share

46 to be precise!

Seeing him live at Petworth a couple of weeks back , about 5 yards from the front, there's no way you can say the man doesn't have "soul".

His voice was the best i've ever heard it, obviously it's down to taste as to whether you like his voice but you can't deny that he can sing.

Social source share

>Yes! he used to be in the faces well he was more of a wanna be mod >when he was younger!

Rod was WELL sharp when he was younger! And his trousers weren't as short as Stevies..... Not a wanna be at all! The pic of him in Barnes' book is miles better than Marriot or Ronnie Lane's. Granted, he can't sing for toffee. Tho when you get The Motown Song in your head. IT WON'T LET GO!!! 'Bring over some o your old Motown records, put your speakers in the windows and the hall. We can listen to the Miracles echo in the ally down below'... See. You're singing it now! And for the rest of the day..... HA.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!