Darrow Fletcher on Crossover

Since reading several rave reviews in Mr Pearsons fine soul review and then finally getting to hear 'It's no mistake' by young Darrow about four years ago I'm hooked, trouble is the tapes' a little on the worn side now. I know he recorded several other sides on this and related labels which regularly turn up, this however is proving to be a bit hard. Anyone got any info?

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

"it's no mistake" is very very very good, maybe a 40£ record and well worth it!

"the moon didn't just come out to give the stars a chance to play" ...good lyrics aswell.. ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Jim, fret not buddy. This little gem turns up regularly on t'Bay, I got mine last year, not a mint copy (??????) but eminently playable/enjoyable and less than 20 sovs inc P + P from the USA.

Get a search going and cross everything.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

£20? £40? Jeeez guy's perhaps you should have a go at snaffling them up then as whenever i have seen it (admittedly at inflated dooo prices) it's always been nearer £75 and even £100+ on more than one occasion.

Good luck with tracking down a reasonably priced copy one of my all time faves is that ;o)) My wife bought it for my birthday a few years ago and it shall always one of the especially treasured ones ;O)

JoT

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

That much Johnny???? I know Dylan Cz. managed to get his copy for 40£ and that was maybe a month ago..

well a good 45 all the same ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Well the boy done good then it's been at least two/three years since i saw it for as little as £50 but there are always anomolies and it has been a quite solid 75 for a good while now and like i said some even try for more. It just one of those that you just don't sell IMO here's a question did he ever make a bad record??? I can't think of one but....

Trout out

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Well the boy done good then it's been at least two/three years since i saw it for as little as £50 but there are always anomolies and it has been a quite solid 75 for a good while now and like i said some even try for more. It just one of those that you just don't sell IMO here's a question did he ever make a bad record??? I can't think of one but....

Trout out

I agree he did MOSTLY good records but "gotta draw the line" isn't my fave and neither is "sitting here thinking" but "rising cost of love" and plenty of others is CLASS!

Bought my copy for 450 swedish krone (about 30£) ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Trout out

Guess I shouldn't say on list as I bought it as a pressie for J-O-T but he reads the same sales lists as I do so... I paid £75 from Ian Clark a couple of years ago. Top end price IMO, although I have seen it higher since.

Alison

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

He also had a great 70's side on Atlantic, forgot the title and its not to hand at the moment, anyone remember?

Re crossover did he only do the one 45 ?

Cheers,

Jock

Rising cost of love already mentioned and on one of Ady's Kent CD's btw

John

Social source share

Guest marco

I paid £70 for mine Jim. Very nice indeed. Didn't he record a whole LP for crossover? If so did it ever come out or is it languishing somehwere???

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Karl tell me your kidding i always play both sides of records especially good ones by artists i love !!!! This is the flip of "It's no mistake" right???

John

Social source share

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Karl tell me your kidding i always play both sides of records especially good ones by artists i love !!!! This is the flip of "It's no mistake" right???

Yes John,

the flip to "It's no mistake". Don't tell me you have sold it?! ;-)

Have anyone heard is Atco 45? I think the good side of it only appears on the issue? I've had it on my wants list for years but never seen one for sale.

Regards,

Karl

Social source share

Yes John,

the flip to "It's no mistake". Don't tell me you have sold it?! ;-)

Karl

Just dug "Try something new" out. Verdict in this house is a positive one:-) Got grower written all over it. Personally don't rate it as highly as No Mistake but there's a lovely reverb and I thought it sounded a tad more commercial and suitable for the market it was released into. Its apparently the A side.

Ali

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Mick W

Its No mistake.........Choooooooooooon !!!!

played this magnificent record during the opening set at Soul Village last week and It is a true masterpiece IMHO :rolleyes:

Have a Gorilla ph34r.gif

Social source share

£20? £40? Jeeez guy's perhaps you should have a go at snaffling them up then as whenever i have seen it (admittedly at inflated dooo prices) it's always been nearer £75 and even £100+ on more than one occasion.

Good luck with tracking down a reasonably priced copy one of my all time faves is that ;o)) My wife bought it for my birthday a few years ago and it shall always one of the especially treasured ones ;O)

JoT

link

How about posting an MP3

Ted

Social source share

KarlM -Flip it over for the equally good b-side "Try something new" which I pretty recently discovered myself. Good b-sides is always a pleasant surprise!-

Funny thing, I first played the Try Something new side out by mistake (at Roulette sthlm) and was kind of embarrased about it, was just about to flip it over when I realised i was quite good and let it had its play!

c

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!