The Montclairs

Garethx

Is anyone as staggered as I am to see the escalation in price of The Montclairs' "Hung Up On Your Love" in recent months? Over $150 on ebay for a red issue, over £125 for the (not as rare) demo on Manship's auction.

Also heard this at least five times in various rooms at Cleethorpes. I'm not complaining as such, as I think it's an absolutely brilliant record, but is this another case of "monkey see, monkey do" attitude prevalent among the dee-jaying fraternity?

Might I suggest a revival of "Unwanted Love", the perfect synthesis of "Hung Up" and "Hey You! Don't Fight It", which failed to attract even one offer on ebay the other week.

Also, can anyone confirm that it is Bobby Patterson who sings lead on "I Need You More Than Ever"?

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest marco

You might indeed Gareth. Great record...I remember playing it at Southgate once and somoene telling me it sounded like the Jackson 5. Pity them, for they know not what they say...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wasn't Janine was it?????

Great group the Montclairs and when people tell me that "Hung up" is a disco record it really does show them up for what they are.......

You are my only des-ire ire ire ;o)))))) Chewn

Troot

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If you like "Hung Up...", have a listen to "Theme From Foxy Brown" , by Willie Hutch. I like to play it next to the Monclairs .

Very similar record, to my ears anyway....

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've got it James can't say as it ever struck me as the same will give it a spin later ;o))

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh you don't start me off ;o))))))

When was Willy ever cheesy????????????????

'Nother top Hutch track - Get ready for the get down

He was excellent at Fleetwood btw even got Ali singing the Duck LOL ;o)))) Oh how we larffed

John

Social source share

To my ears, The Montclairs classic is a million miles from Disco. The beat is far more clever; the vocals more soulful; the lyrics more classy.

As I recall it, "Hung up" was never spoken in the same breath as other so-called modern records (Snoopy Dean, Johnny C etc). It was embraced with great enthusiasm - just like The Carstairs.

In other words: an instant groove.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Try telling that to those people who have re-invented Northern Soul in their own image, it's 70's and therefore QED it's disco shite end of story LOL ;o))

Sod the groove sounds too much like a disco word to me. KEEP IT 60's ONLY the rest is just Shite!!!

Carstairs - DISCO shite

Montclairs - SAME

James Fountain - Funk bollocks

Frankie Crocker - Give me a glow stick and a whistle!!

oh i could go on and on all day.

I've seen the light and it's from a 60's bulb non of that new fangled 70's crap anymore

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If you like "Hung Up...", have a listen  to "Theme From Foxy Brown" , by Willie Hutch. I like to play it next to the Monclairs .

Very similar record, to my ears anyway....

Very similar yes but it doesn't have that Northern feel somehow, anyway i don't like the Monclairs anymore it's disco shite!!!!!!!

John

Social source share

KEEP IT 60's ONLY the rest is just Shite!!!

Carstairs - DISCO shite

Montclairs - SAME

James Fountain - Funk bollocks

Frankie Crocker - Give me a glow stick and a whistle!!

oh i could go on and on all day.

I've seen the light and it's from a 60's bulb non of that new fangled 70's crap anymore

John

John

I wasn't sure if your tongue was in your cheek when you wrote that; and I can't believe that no-one has leapt to defend The Carstairs (surely one of Northern Soul's best loved records).

As someone who was there the first week or two it was played at Blackpool Mecca, I can recall even now how instantly and enthusiastically it was embraced by both sides of the scene.

Nobody loves the 60's stuff more than me, but to call The Carstairs disco-shite? You're 'avin' a laff!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Nobody loves the 60's stuff more than me, but to call The Carstairs disco-shite?  You're 'avin' a laff!

No i'm not!!!

It's not about whether it's good or not it's about when it was made and i'm sorry but the Carstairs was made at the wrong time therefore QED it's Disco Shite!!!! If you don't believe me ask someone else (I would suggest my Soul Daughter Nini she will be honest and tell you like it is)

Social source share

I'd love to know the date of your cut-off point. Is it New Year's eve 1969?

Just my opinion, but Disco to me always implies records that were made for the dance market. It's characterized by a four-on-the-floor beat and splashy high hats. Gloria Gaynor's Never Can Say Goodbye was the first time I heard that vibe.

I just don't see how The Carstairs fits in that bag.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd love to know the date of your cut-off point.  Is it New Year's eve 1969?

Just my opinion, but Disco to me always implies records that were made for the dance market.  It's characterized by a four-on-the-floor beat and splashy high hats.  Gloria Gaynor's Never Can Say Goodbye was the first time I heard that vibe. 

I just don't see how The Carstairs fits in that bag.

Yes correct in one. I never decided on that date but when you think about it, it's only natural as that was the last date any decent soul records were made. You can colour it all you like but it won't wash with me and if you can't see that Gloria Gaynor and the Carstairs are almost identical in sooo many ways i would be wasting my breath trying to explain to you.

Social source share

Mel Britt "She'll Come Running Back"

Vanguards "Good Times Bad Times"

Volumes "Ain't Gonna Give You Up"

Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long"

Eula Cooper "Let Our Love Grow Higher"

These are also 70's, and therefore not northern soul, but disco shite, ain't it so John?:-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Exactly Christian finally someone who can understand what i am trying to say.

The whole point of Northern Soul is that you can dance to it (Not shimmy or jive or whatever it is that disco bunnies do) that it is rare and most importantly that it is 60's.

Everyone of the records Christian has listed is second rate disco shite only played because the DJ's were too lazy to go out and find some proper rare 60's. When will people ever learn it's not enough to sound sixties it has to BE sixties or else it's just shite!!!

Social source share

Shame you are at Whitby this weekend, you could have come to Plinston with me and given liccle James a hard time in the disco room ;-)))

Social source share

Everyone of the records Christian has listed is second rate disco shite only played because the DJ's were too lazy to go out and find some proper rare 60's. When will people ever learn it's not enough to sound sixties it has to BE sixties or else it's just shite!!!

Oi! I said that last week

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

At last... you have seen the light. was it the glow light in my mouth at cleggy that turned you?

Glow light????? I just assumed that your normally Nuclear breath had gotten ever so slightly stronger!!!

John (the real one)

Farrel is just an old aged imposter

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

or was it because i told Ali i wanted John F to be my new daddy?

No she never told me that one, so do you want a divorce or what then if you think John can do a better job..............

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Shame you are at Whitby this weekend, you could have come to Plinston with me and given liccle James a hard time in the disco room ;-)))

I'm sure that you will manage dear!! Just remember what i've told you in the past though dear heart about going looking for trouble, because one day you'll find it!!!

John

Are you saying that James plays Disco records as well??? Good grief when will it ever end?? I though Disco died in the late seventies (praise be!!) probably best if you take some sounds with you just in case he hasn't got enough 60's ;o))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oi!  I said that last week

Dearest you say that every week ;o))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Crikey! And I thought I had strong views on 60's vs 70's!

It's laughable to slate DJ's like Levine and Curtis as lazy.

What about Jodi Mathis?  I expect that's disco shite too?

Yes of course it is one of the worst cases in fact!!!!

Levine and Curtis not lazy???????? are you mad?? If Levine wasn't lazy then how come he never carry's his own record box?? If he wasn't lazy then he must have had a serious thyroid imbalance!! And Curtis give me strength 30 years down the line and he is still too lazy to find a decent barber!!!

Social source share

I'm shocked, you shouldn't be anywhere near a disco room ;-)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

John

You may know what you like, and I respect that; but you don't know too much about music.

No offence.

Dayo, I think Johnny is being a wind up.... At least I hope he is:-/

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

John

You may know what you like, and I respect that; but you don't know too much about music.

No offence.

How can you possibly say that?????

I know precisely all i need to know about music and the first thing i know is that if it ain't 60's it's shite!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry if it sounds as though i'm just banging on and on about the same old thing but i do have a point and at the end of the day you will agree me because i know i am right and eventually you will see that i am too!!!!

I'm not hurt that you think i have crap taste just saddened that you cannot see things as clearly as i do

JoT

Social source share

Colin Curtis collects Wedgwood pottery, I have been to his house and seen his collection! Ian Levine collects lot's of things, the most interesting when I last visited his house was a dalek (did I spell that right?) he also has some pretty gold and platinum circle things on his walls

Social source share

Last time I heard Colin DJ I told him off for playing "disco shite" but I didn't really have a very valued point as we were stood in a disco LOL

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Colin Curtis collects Wedgwood pottery, I have been to his house and seen his collection!

Really? i seem to remember being told you were both made to stay outside on the driveway like naughty girls who break plates!!!

60's John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If only you'd have said yesterday you could have had them as it is in a show of solidarity i burned the lot last night in a re-enactment of the famous Shea stadium Death to Disco protest back in the day

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Depends wether they are any good or not my dear i copuld always take them away for a private burning ceremony ;o))

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!