Ohio Players - Love slipped thru....lp?

Author: Guest

Published: 2003/9/22

Read 3 times

Size 125 bytes

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF 'LOVE SLIPPED THRU' MY FINGERS' BY OHIO PLAYERS IS AN LP TRACK, IF SO WHAT LP IS IT ON ?

moved from articles section

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It is an Lp track and I picked up around 10 copies on the 'Greatest Hits' Lp on a trip stateside in the 80's and I am certain it's lp only. Also has many other great tracks I used to spin at Morecombe nighters covered up culled from the first 2 early lp's. I think it was also reissued via Charly in the 80's. The US lp cover has a record player on the front and a target on the cover as well if memory serves me right. Check out the £1.99 CD section at your local petrol emporium as they usually have the lp there on CD format if you want an idea of what the rest of it's like. Hope this epic reply helps.

Social source share

Came out on several of their US compilation albums...the one already mentioned, and a double one on the Trip label, which is worth picking up as it features more of their Compass material. No "original" label release, mind, as they are all on reissue/cheapo labels.

Yes, twas also on a Charly label compilation called, "Up all night vol.II", and yes also on several "super-budget" CD compilations of their material.

Morten.x.

Social source share

Oh! you tease, you...another excuse to close my curtains...won't have to say that it's because "the sun always shines on my TV", anymore!

Yes, the double Trip label album does feature a load of instrumentals...some pretty damn good too!

Remember Dickie Searling used to play yet another version of this track as by Herman Hitson?!

Morten.x.

Social source share

never completely got me head round the "herman h" version story, going by the below by Andy Rix (a clip of info up in soul articles section) I take it the h h vers is nate adams??

back to andys overheated keyboard When in New York in 98 i met up with Edward Lewis who co-wrote 'Love slipped through my fingers'....he told me that he wrote this song whilst in a jungle in Vietnam and sent the lyrics over to his brother and Marion Farmer to finish off the music and tidy up. I asked him about Sam Williams and the name meant nothing at all to him...as far as he was concerned the version he knew was the one they did on Nate Adams...he had no idea that Sam recorded it, nor the Ohio Players, and had never heard the songs until I sent him a tape...he did tell me they recut the song for Brite-Lite Records in the early 80's on that group who did 'If you can't tell me something good'...my mind has gone a complete blank on the group name...I think that version remains unreleased...was it Major IV...

Talking of sam there is a long held belief that Tony Williams of the Platters is Sam Williams but there was another NY based singer called Sam Williams who moved to the West Coast in the ?early 70s so there may be room for confusion here...anybody have any thoughts on this...I've listened to their voices and I'm not that convinced that Sam & Tony are one and the same....anybody ever seen an issue of Sam Williams ?

ever been anything more on the mark iv vers ??

Social source share

• 7 years later...
Guest rosies dad

there is a PLayers album on TRIP called "First Impressions" which is all Compass recordings i believe.

there was a very good article about Johnny Brantley in an older issue of Theres That Beat that touches on much

of the Ohio Players Compass era. good article.

jacob

Social source share

380258704351.jpg

Tracks:

TitleComposerTime1Little Soul PartyWeeden, Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Satchell 2Over the RainbowArlen, Harburg 3Thing Called LoveBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell 4Man I AmBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell, Webster 5My NeighborsWeeden, Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Satchell 6Find Someone to LoveHarris, Bonner, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Webster, Satchell, Jones 7You Don't Mean ItBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Noland 8Trespassin'Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell 9I Got to Hold OnHarris, Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Webster, Satchell 10It's a Cryin' ShameWeeden, Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Satchell 11Alabama Soupbone Pt. 1 & 2Weeden, Beck, Bonner, Jones, Pierce, Middlebrooks, Williams, Webster, Satchell 12Tell Me WhyWeeden, Bonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Satchell 13Lonely StreetsBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell, Webster 14Better Find Somebody to Love 15I Gotta Get AwayRobertson, Bonner, Middlebrooks, Webster, Noland 16Love Slips Through My FingersFramer, Lewis 17Being the Man That I Am 18Lonely Streets at MidnightBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell, Webster 19Street PartyBonner, Jones, Middlebrooks, Robinson, Satchell, Webster

:rolleyes:

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!