other contendors ?

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Continental 4 is a BELTING tarck and spun by Jo Wallace at SOULGATE this weekend to much applause and many running to the decks to check it out, including me!

How about Razzy 'I Hate Hate', it's £10 of great Crossover ender magic.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

GUEST POSTED following:

What about Friends Of Distinction: Grazing In The Grass on

RCA.....Superb but don't spend any more than $5 whatever you do...

John

Social source share

Must say two cracking toons!! Glad to see there are people out there with good taste prepared to give cheap records like these the chance they deserve!!

Have had both for a few years now - but gotta say Otis Leavill (for me anyway)

is definitely "THE DADDY!!"

A few others of his that i've got and would say are well worth giving ear time to are

"Let me Live" - Blue Rock

"Keep on Loving"- Columbia

"Right to cry"- Lucky

"I'm Amazed"- Limelight

And on the subject of cheapies - check this one out - talk about a lot of bang for ya buck!!

Brenda & Tabulations - That's in the Past - Dionn

PURE MAGIC!!

Social source share

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 5

I don't know about Oscar Weathers but a copy of Continental 4 on Ebay the other week didn't even get one bid with a start price of 99 cents, that is cheap :) )

should have posted it up in the ebay madness thread Nick, if compare this to some of the over priced 45 examples posted recently, defintely madness is the word:)

Social source share

should have posted it up in the ebay madness thread Nick, if compare this to some of the over priced 45 examples posted recently, defintely madness is the word:)

I'm not even going to go there Mike, the amount of times I've seen quality 70's soulful/dance tracks on ebay not even making very low reserves (I know, because I've tried to sell some !) and then a naff track with "played at Wigan" in the description gets silly money, I'm going to be slightly outspoken here and suggest it's down to the wallflowers/stamp collectors who don't seem to venture out to venues that are paying this silly money, not giving unknown stuff a chance, I think the phrase "buying blind" disappeared years ago.

Rant over.

NickG

Social source share

dont know about Brenda and the tabs being that cheap.....but I wouldnt sell my demo as it really is top notch.

also, in 5 years time you watch all these crossover £10 records will be worth silly money as people FINALLY realise that this music is the way forward.

I love 6ts northern but crossover is the way forward..............and definately not 7ts disco crap.

just my opinion of course.............

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm not even going to go there Mike, the amount of times I've seen quality 70's soulful/dance tracks on ebay not even making very low reserves (I know, because I've tried to sell some !) and then a naff track with "played at Wigan" in the description gets silly money, I'm going to be slightly outspoken here and suggest it's down to the wallflowers/stamp collectors who don't seem to venture out to venues that are paying this silly money, not giving unknown stuff a chance, I think the phrase "buying blind" disappeared years ago.

Rant over.

NickG

I just bought a few records all on the Dee Dee label. Billy Gallant arrived yesterday, and it is a bloody good likeness to that song that goes:

'who put the bop in the bop de bop de bop' etc.

utterly awful.

Got another 4 coming very soon. And to the guy who was asking about Valerie Lamar - Gotta Get away. I have a copy arriving in the next week or 2. If you'd like to get in touch I will try to send you a tape with it on if you like.

Mikey

Social source share

A great cheap 1970s soul record that I can't stop playing at the moment is George McCrae "It's Been So Long" on TK. Brilliant and anthemic Miami soul with a "home made" sound that sets it apart from commercial 70s soul. Should be about £1 on UK Jay Boy from Record & Tape Exchanges, car boots and so on.

In a less obvious way, the Lou Bond lp track "Why Should Our Eyes Always Be Turned Backwards" on Enterprise is a blinding crossover midpacer with a "heal the world" type message. Fans of the John Gary Williams sound would, i'm sure, flip on hearing this. Harder to find, but shouldn't be expensive.

For something completely different, Grey & Hanks "You Gotta Put Something In" on the RCA album "You Fooled Me" is a great slice of the fast, funky soul that has made records like Joseph Webster and Jerry Washington hot property on the northern scene again. Problem with this one is it's only fast and funky for about two and a half minutes of its six-minute duration, the last four minutes being meandering noodling. But those first two and a half are really fantastic, with very soulful singing. Ultra cheap too.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just love Grey & Hanks version of "How can you live without love" a chewnerooonie IMO ;o)))

John

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

A great cheap 1970s soul record that I can't stop playing at the moment is George McCrae "It's Been So Long" on TK. Brilliant and anthemic Miami soul with a "home made" sound that sets it apart from commercial 70s soul. Should be about £1 on UK Jay Boy from Record & Tape Exchanges, car boots and so on.

Also recorded by Fire , George version is the best but the other ones is ok aswell.

best

Leo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!