Karen Lable

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi, anyone know how many times this came out?

1538 had three different issues,all have a different matrix and are differently coloured. The purple and silver issue is as listed except it has SP after the number. The red and yellow issue has PL after the number and the blue and silver issue has MC/MO after the number.

Social source share

Ah bugger, whould have know you would know that, being as your name is bint :-)

thanks Karen xx

yes it's my favorite label for obvious reasons, do you want a discography?

Social source share

Yes please, is it complete?  I have most here I think already

not quite complete maybe you can fill in any gaps I have or what I have will help you.

16 Capitols The Kick Dog And Cat

101 Volumes Ain't Gonna Give You Up Am I Losing You

106 Jimmy Soul Clark I Blew A Good Thing Soul

113 Billy Wells Outer Realm Lotsa Papa Part 1 Part 2

313 Barbara Lewis My Heart Went Do Dat Da The Year

314 The Classics Twistin 62

315 El Baron Haunting Eyes You Done Me Wrong

316 Classics The Wheel Of Love

317 Quickest Way Out Tick Tock Baby (It's A Quarter To Love)

318 Antoinette Ronny Boy Double Timing Lover

319 Sharon Mcmahan Love Is Wonderful Here Comes The Boy

320 Grant Higgins Shame Shame The Way I Feel

321 Matt Lucas The MC Twine (Motor City Pt 1) The MC Twine (Motor City Pt 2)

322 Rod Jordan I Live In A Castle Don't Judge Me With The Outside

530 Mae Young No Ifs No Ands No Buts You Take Care Of Me

1524 Capitols Cool Jerk Hello Stranger

1525 Capitols I Got To Handle It Zig-Zagging

1525 Sharon McMahon Got To Find Another Guy Hello Stranger

1526 Capitols We Got A Thing That's In The Groove Tired Running From You

1527 Ad Libs Think Of Me Every Boy And Girl

1531 Soul Twins Mr Pitiful Searching For My Baby

1533 Soul Twins Give The Man A Chance Quick Change Artist

1534 Capitols Take A Chance On Me Baby Patty Cake

1535 Soul Twins Just One Look It's Not You Do It's The Way You Do

1536 Capitols Don't Say Maybe Baby Cool Pearl

1537 Capitols Cool Jerk (Instrumental) Afro Twist

1537 Soul Twins Mr. Pitiful Searching For My Baby

1538 Jimmy Delphs Almost Don't Sign The Papers

1539 Jimmy Soul Clark Do It Right Now If I Only Knew Then

1540 Betty Lavette Love Makes The World Go Round Almost

1541 Jimmy Delphs Feels Like Summer's Coming On Mrs Percy Please Have Mercy

1542 Richard Popcorn Wylie Rosemary What Happened Part 2

1543 Capitols Ain't That Terrible Soul Brother Soul Sister

1544 Betty Lavette What Condition My Condition Is In Getaway

1545 Betty Lavette Hey Love A Little Help From My Friends

1546 Capitols When You're In Trouble I Thought She Loved Me

1547 Marvin Sims Sweet Thang Your Love Is So Wonderful

1548 Betty Lavette Let Me Down Easy Ticket To The Moon

1549 Capitols I Though She Loved Me When You're In Trouble

1550 Jimmy Delphs Love I Want You Back Am I Losing You

1551 Volumes Ain't Gonna Give You Up Am I Losing You

2524 Matt Lucas Baby You Better Go Go My Tune

Social source share

Think you got them all there already!

Maybe I should stop calling you a bint now HA

I didn't realise I had finished it LOL maybe I am a bint after all

Social source share

The Volumes did as far as I know NOT come out twice, and the 101 is not a release number, it is included due to a mistake I think. K101 is the master # I think since the other side "Am I Losing You" (official A side I think) has master # K100. The matrix numbers are also K100 and K101 respectively. Feel free to prove me wrong by providing a scan of the 101 release. I have not seen or heard, and I have been asking around for quite some time, of another apart from the blue and silver 1551 release anyway.

Social source share

The Volumes did as far as I know NOT come out twice, and the 101 is not a release number, it is included due to a mistake I think. K101 is the master # I think since the other side "Am I Losing You" (official A side I think) has master # K100. The matrix numbers are also K100 and K101 respectively. Feel free to prove me wrong by providing a scan of the 101 release. I have not seen or heard, and I have been asking around for quite some time, of another apart from the blue and silver 1551 release anyway.

just checked my age old notes and the 101 release of the Volumes is not even listed. It's only on the listing on the computer and must have been added at a later date so I could be inclined to agree with you Christian. Maybe some one can shed some further light on this.

Social source share

just checked my age old notes and the 101 release of the Volumes is not even listed. It's only on the listing on the computer and must have been added at a later date so I could be inclined to agree with you Christian. Maybe some one can shed some further light on this.

To further cloud the issue, according to JM guide it was released on 101 and his guide is a daatbase of his actual sales according to the notes at the front.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Have any of you thought to check the Bible according to Rimski ??

Here's what Dave has listed on his wonderful Soulful kinda music site

100 - Jimmy 'Soul' Clark - Soul / I Blew A Good Thing

I think that makes it all as clear as mud now......

I'll get me coat my head's starting to hurt.........................

Social source share

Here's what Dave has listed on his wonderful Soulful kinda music site

100 - Jimmy 'Soul' Clark - Soul / I Blew A Good Thing

I think that makes it all as clear as mud now......

I'll get me coat my head's starting to hurt.........................

But we are talking about release # 101 ;-)

Social source share

Ive got that book but it means reading and im on a doss day today :-)

Social source share

At a quick glance it is very easy to make a mistake and think that 101 on the left side of the label is the release number, and not 1551 at the bottom of the label. Until I see an actual 101 release, I will doubt it's existence. Someone told me who first started playing it and when, but my memory fails me at the moment. I think it was in the 90's anyway, possibly 80's. Maybe someone can inform us all? A personal favourite and easily their best record IMO, perhaps also best record on the label.

Social source share

I've got these as well now, but have no confirmation they exist.

2625 - Matt Lucas - Baby You Better Go Go / My Tune

714 - Billy Slayback - Here Comes Henry / Inst

715 - Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie - Move Over Babe (Here Comes Henry) / Inst

716 - Percy And Them - Sing A Sad Song Part 1 / Part 2

717 - The Quickest Way Out - Hello Stranger / Tick Tock Baby

718 - The Compacts - That's How My World Began / Why Can't It Be Me

Social source share

This exists all right, and is an amazing mistempo double sider, comparable with the best group soul of the era, right up there with The Dells and Dramatics.

thanks guys, will be able to update my discography to include this one at least :-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

But we are talking about release # 101 ;-)

(christian h. @ Jun 30 2004, 08:53 AM)

The point i was making was that Dave listed #100 as Jimmy 'Soul' Clarke which would imply that Christian is indeed right dearest Janine, but keep on chasing those toggles dear you are catching up ;o))

John

Social source share

The point i was making was that Dave listed #100 as Jimmy 'Soul' Clarke which would imply that Christian is indeed right dearest Janine, but keep on chasing those toggles dear you are catching up ;o))

John

But we are discussing whether or not The Volumes was released on 101 so why release 100 is mentioned I don't know unless you are referering to the matrix as an indication of release?

The Volumes has a matix of K100 and K101 like Christian says, Jimmy Soul Clark has matrix of C 100 & C 101. The Capitols (0016) has a matrix of 101-1 and 101-2. Doesn't really shed any light on the matter if matching matrix with release # with the label. Would like to see the scan of the Volumes and would imagine Christian is right regards the two numers (101 and 1551) both appearing on the label and folk using the wrong number as the release number.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I really don't know Karl when i lifted the number from Dave's site there was no letter prefix so i couldn't say whether it was a K or a C ;o))

John

Social source share

This exists all right, and is an amazing mistempo double sider, comparable with the best group soul of the era, right up there with The Dells and Dramatics.

Tell us more. To me there is nothing better than really good male group soul from this period, so wouldn't mind hearing this, if at all possible. Ridiculously rare of course?

Social source share

Tell us more. To me there is nothing better than really good male group soul from this period, so wouldn't mind hearing this, if at all possible. Ridiculously rare of course?

Re: The Compacts "That's How My World Began" / "Why Can't It Be"

This was the last record that Ollie McLaughlin released on the revived Karen/Carla group of labels in 1975, and would appear to be pretty rare. I know Peter Lowrie listed one for sale about ten years ago for (I think) £400.

They were a family group (four brothers and a sister I believe) and as I said, the record is a really good double sider, THMWB being a fluid ballad featuring torrid vocal interplay, very much in the Dells/Dramatics mode (the lead tenor voice really is that strong). WCIB is the more obviously danceable side, and, though I can't say I've ever heard it out, I think it would really be admired if spun at an "across the board" do.

A relatively easy way of getting or hearing these sides is via one of the Solid Smoke "Detroit Gold" lps released in the US in the early/mid 1980s. This label was part of Rhino Records, I think, and may have been subsequently released on CD. If not, you still see the vinyl occasionally - it also includes the Belita Woods Moira singles "My Magic Corner" and "That's When I'll Stop Loving You", and is really worth picking up.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Outrageous Toggle chasing Janine how any one could stood so low as to spread a single sentence across multiple posts is beyond me, shallow behaviour indeed!!! From this day forward i shall call you HAL ;o))

John

Social source share

Toggles? My dear father, don't wear such scruffy items of clothing as anoraks, I wear the finest cashmere (and alpaca) coat with horn buttons and mink lining, so have no need for common toggles

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!