Damon Fox

• Replies 38
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are two different label designs apparently. Only seen the white & blue stripe one in the flesh, but seen a scan of the curved logo design, but that was also a demo. Manship also sold an acetate maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Social source share

Firstly...

There are two different label designs apparently. Only seen the white & blue stripe one in the flesh, but seen a scan of the curved logo design, but that was also a demo. Manship also sold an acetate maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
I think issues are rarest, but I really don't know. How much did the acetate sell for?

Re: Attachment - is this it?

and...

There's a copy up for auction here:

https://www.cdkm.co.uk/en-gb/dept_85.html

Minimum bid £7000.

That's quite amazing...

Quite bloody stupid IMO and ridiculously overpriced! I know it's rare, but it ain't that good, is it now?!!

post-2-1088793295_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Ridiculously overpriced indeed! :-o

No record is worth that kind of money.

I personally don't like the tune at all.

I totally aggree with you Sebastian (at least on the lines of the record being dreadful! - sorry Donkey), but I suppose if the record is a one (or two) off, as are Frank Wilson, Frankie Beverly, Inspirations etc., it is understandable to pay a large price - although you won't catch me reaching in my wallet an pulling out any where near that kind o' money!! ;-)

Social source share

I think it is great northern soul. So very powerful and a very good dance tune. Perhaps not a very good song as such and not much of a soul record either, but superb northern. I'd rather hear it than many other things anyway. I think you need to experience it out in a club to fully appreciate it. And I have no idea what the acetate Manship had went for.

Social source share

I think it is great northern soul. So very powerful and a very good dance tune.
Yes, I suppose it's a rather good dancer, but I personally think the vocal is very weak. I have to stand my ground (after playing it time and time again, if only to make myself like it - although this proved unsucessful) and back up my previous view that the the record is hopeless - but, as I said, this is just my view, you are free to think what you like.

I'd rather hear it than many other things anyway.

Does this mean it's your fave?

Social source share

No, it's not my fave, far from it. It's a record I can enjoy hearing out and dancing to that's all. I'd rather hear it then Joey Delorenzo, Holly St James, Betty O'Brien and many other records popular in recent years.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johnny One Trout

Just spotted the scan Billy posted up and wondered why it was different to the one on Petes sales auction??

Any one know the score???

post-2-1089885764_thumb.jpg

Social source share

As far as I know Johnny, the Fairmount label started out in 1963. The label which Billy posted is typical of the label design used on the first batch of releases, at least up until early-1964, when the standard design changed to the blue/white stripe pattern. During this time (end of 1963 to the start of 1964), there was a cross-over period, when some Fairmount 45s were issued with both designs, one that comes to mind being "Fell In Love" by Oscar Wright. I guess that would date Damon Fox around late '63/early '64.

Hope this helps. Also hope to see some of you at the NCSC warm-up in Manchester on the 31st July, where I shall join Nick Hackett and John Weston behind the decks!!!

Gene

Social source share

As far as I know Johnny, the Fairmount label started out in 1963.  The label which Billy posted is typical of the label design used on the first batch of releases, at least up until early-1964, when the standard design changed to the blue/white stripe pattern.  During this time (end of 1963 to the start of 1964), there was a cross-over period, when some Fairmount 45s were issued with both designs, one that comes to mind being "Fell In Love" by Oscar Wright.  I guess that would date Damon Fox around late '63/early '64.

Hope this helps.  Also hope to see some of you at the NCSC warm-up in Manchester on the 31st July, where I shall join Nick Hackett and John Weston behind the decks!!!

Gene

Not that I really know, but I doubt Damon Fox is from 1964. It sounds more like 1966 or later, but who knows?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Ah well if it's a vinyl issue then it must be worth the £7,000 starting price ;o)))))))

John

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted the scan Billy posted up and wondered why it was different to the one on Petes sales auction??

Any one know the score???

I'm afraid I have t disagree with Mr. Smith - The 'arched' label design is the demo which is apparently not as rare. I wonder if the grey and white promos exist... It'd be nice to collect scans of all 3!

It's a good record - just too short at 1 mins 54 secs!

Phfff! Not on your nelly!! Too bloody long!

Social source share

I'm afraid I have t disagree with Mr. Smith - The 'arched' label design is the demo which is apparently not as rare. I wonder if the grey and white promos exist... It'd be nice to collect scans of all 3!

Nope, 'Arched" ones are deffo west coast releases demos or issues, east coast demos are exactly the same as issues with the exception of having 'DJ copy not for sale' see attached.

post-2-1090854607_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Johnny One Trout

The guy trying to sell at £7,000 states that there are just 4 copies of that design, does that mean there's 8 all-in-all?? ;-)

Why not ask him it certainly isn't an easy record by any means ;o))

John

Social source share

No. Doubt it. Can I ask...

Do you know "Melvin Brown & James Matthews - Love's Stormy Weather" ?

If so is it good??

I listened to a soundbite a few months ago but can't quite remember it, I'd try again but Real1 doesn't work!!

I ask because I've found one for $250 dollars (nearly £150) and Manship's guide says £800.

Social source share

If so is it good??

I listened to a soundbite a few months ago but can't quite remember it, I'd try again but Real1 doesn't work!!

I ask because I've found one for $250 dollars (nearly £150) and Manship's guide says £800.

Great slab o' soul. Not a dancer by anyy stretch of the imaginatin but good. Bite his/her hand off ast £150. Manship not far wrong either, it's on Philmore Sound.

Social source share

If so is it good??

A fantastic record,it blew me away the first time I heard it played by Carl Willingham,I heard a copy recently changed hands for £1200

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If so is it good??

Bloody hell if i wasn't so skint at the moment i would be snapping your F-in hand off Love Stormy Weather is probably one of the very best 70's records ever ever not Northern by any stretch but just ooozing soul from every note now that record sends shivers down my spine makes my cry laugh makes all the hairs on my whole body stand on end

Awesome record

Manship underpriced it BTW by quite a bit as well ;o))

John

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!