Floor Fillers?

As I have said in previous posts coming back to the scene and visiting a local soul venue where I tend to hear and dance to the majority of records I remember from the seventies. As I have not yet persuaded my wife to hit the allnighters or major weekenders I would be interested to know what are the current floor fillers.

I have seen the current DJ playlists on 'Soulful Kinda Music' but do these rare records fill the floors?

IYO's what are your fav dance tunes?

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Most of the so called Top Tunes do fill the floors thesedays, however it's not about rare or how much they cost should always be about quality what ever the era or period it's from, we have some four decades to select music from so we must be in the best possible postion to provide the best possible quality music, which does not always happen but most venues try to get a good mix of the tried and tested alongside the more upfront tunes, from my own personal point of view or from a DJ perspective i try to play the best i've got at all times which works most of the time i.e current big tunes, big oldies a dab of the more soulful R'n'B etc. and more importsntly a few little known things that may work on the dance floor.

Keep It Real - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Ah, I see Mark and I are still in agreement :-) As I have said many times Searlings quote about Rare Soul, rare in quality not just in quantity, is perhaps the most apt description of our scene and, like Mark, we belivie in spinning a mixture of current biggies, forgotten oldies, new discoveries and classic memory jerkers, from across the eras. At the end of the day it's about the music and the dancers will always vote with their feet. KTF.

TheBigO

Social source share

Thanks chaps. I agree quality dance records are important whether they be rare or not.

An example would be 'Dont waste your time' Shamettes or Five Stairsteps? Its the record IMO.

It is amazing when you look at Butch's playlist how many 'cover up' records are on it. Will they ever run out? What will be 'cover up's' in the next five years?

Cheers DWMick

Social source share

It is amazing when you look at Butch's playlist how many 'cover up' records are on it. Will they ever run out? What will be 'cover up's' in the next five years?

Cheers DWMick

Butch still has plenty of good stuff. He's currently spinning two new cover ups, Profiles and Masqueraders. The Masqueraders is brilliant and should be a popular floor filler if it gets the exposure. His best though lately is the superb Gerri Taylor "It's Beautiful" cover up. Sublime female soul that would have gone big in any era of the scene (IMO).

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think that " nine times out of ten" Muriel Day....and great soul ballads like that shoul still be the floor fillers..ooooh the memories...I will ask big daddy to give it a spin at Halifax this week.. Come on....

Oh i'm sure they are at some venues ;o)))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wasn't a dig at anyone steve ;o)

Just seems to me to be a fact that some people actually prefer this sort of sound. Don't get me wrong i'm not condoning this bad taste behaviour ;o))

But truthfully how many times have you looked at a heaving dancefloor and thought how the bloody hell can they dance to this shite?????? But "They" do time and again and the more they do it .............no that thought is just tooo depressing

JoT

Social source share

But truthfully how many times have you looked at a heaving dancefloor and thought how the bloody hell can they dance to this shite?????? But "They" do time and again and the more they do it .............no that thought is just tooo depressing

I think that in any modern room!

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Ms Snow, your posts confuse the hell out of me sometimes :) )) - you really must get try out those quote marks.

at the start, then 
at the end.

Have fun tonight and keep Ady out of trouble. I'm being a coach potato and watching the Long Firm. Give your boy a hug :)

Social source share

Guest Kolla

aargh ... i just tried to show you the code to do quotes and the stupid thing just put quotes around the words instead. doh! doh! Never mind, i tried.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think that in any modern room!

Now why does it not surprise me that you prefer Muriel Day ;o))) nuff said

John the long suffering trout

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!