Delegates of Soul on Uplook

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing thru' a chaps box at a well resepected NW Soul nite and happened upon a copy of the aforementioned tune. Price? £300. Now call me Mr. Picky but has the scene totally lost the plot. My first memories of it are of Butch giving it a fair bit of needle time when I started to attend the Oxford Street temple in about 87/88. Picked one up from an infamous dealer from the midlands shortly after for about £20!

Where on earth do otherwise sane people get these prices from?

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing thru' a chaps box at a well resepected NW Soul nite and happened upon a copy of the aforementioned tune. Price? £300. Now call me Mr. Picky but has the scene totally lost the plot. My first memories of it are of Butch giving it a fair bit of needle time when I started to attend the Oxford Street temple in about 87/88. Picked one up from an infamous dealer from the midlands shortly after for about £20!

Where on earth do otherwise sane people get these prices from?

Hello Mr Picky ;-)

Was an old Stafford spin apparently. Was a steady £150 but has been £300 plus for some time now, last one I saw was £350 and it went straight away.

Social source share

It's long been a £30 toon so God knows where the latest price tag's come from!!! IMO it's another example of just crazy pricing for what are common(ish) records. If things don't change we are going to fast become an antique scene with inflated prices with no basis in reality!!!

Social source share

It's long been a £30 toon so God knows where the latest price tag's come from!!! IMO it's another example of just crazy pricing for what are common(ish) records. If things don't change we are going to fast become an antique scene with inflated prices with no basis in reality!!!

It's been like that for some time ;-)

Social source share

As you brought the missus a lovely bottle of wine Friday you can say what you like Janine :-) However you will still be an Aussie and therefore we are legally obliged to heckle you. Good to see ya Friday and hope Hammie and I gave you a lovely loving photo!!!!

Social source share

Take your pick lol ;-)

The oldest "northern" record I've got is Jimmy Ruffin - Don't feel sorry for me @ 1961 which is older than me. Any ideas about the oldest record to be played on the scene, and more importantly who's the oldest soulie still going?

Social source share

Talking of "I'll Coming Running Back" how much is the Charles Mintz version on Uplook? Seems to be picking up the odd play or two here and there.

Social source share

I just missed The Delegates on a list at £400 (starting price, auction), although the seller took an offer of £500 and closed auction early, so £300's cheap (ish). Try Charles Mintz's cover, rarer, so more exclusive, but just as good! He also released an "up-to-date" version (sounds '70s at latest though) and you can pick these up for about £10.

Social source share

thought it was a straight forward reissue with unreleased instru on flip ???

or is case of my ears/memory lying to me again :)

off top of head says seen orig mintz somewhere round 800 quid value ??

also know he's done one other nice sounding one on uplook, anything else

Social source share

mental note - never post a "off top of head" price

had a dig cause the actual price was nagging me, but all could find was bit background to release of a 8 track cd of unissued charles mintz uplook stuff

at a guess take it this is where source for insru ?

This material was presented to us by Mr. Dave Brown, musician and drummer. This material was located at UpLook Records owned by Mr. Gene Lawson.

Since, "Give A Man A Break" is liked by all of his fans, a discovery of "Candy Baby" and some other material, which was never released was given to us by Mr. Dave Brown. We went to Thunder Ridge Mastering where Mr. Mike Brown, mastering engineer, digitally remixed and digitally remastered this project.

We call this project "Give A Man A Break/ The Best Of Charles Mintz," which now have been perfected. Now, we bring this product to the fans of Mr. Charles B. Mintz.

Social source share

also  know he's done one  other nice sounding one on uplook, anything else

Well... I personally think his "Give a Man A Break" is much better than "Running Back". It was issued on both Uplook and Abbott, but the Uplook issue is the first release. His "Since I Found You Girl" (also on Uplook) is another good dancer.

Click below to listen to RAs of:

Give A Man A Break

Since I Found You Girl

Social source share

Guest micksmith

300 PLUS FOR A RECORD SOULBOWL HAD OVER 100 COPIES OF. THE MIND JUST BOGGLES. TRUE PRICE SHOULD BE ABOUT 100 IT'S A GOOD RECORD BUT THAT PRICE TAG-GOOD LUCK.

PS GOT MINE FOR £15.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

[sOULBOWL HAD OVER 100 COPIES ]

Micks dead right, got my copy from Soul Bowl and was told they had two 50 boxes in! Yet another one I sold for £20 when I sold up!

I'll get me noose

Social source share

I'm with Mick Smith on this one, fantastic record but come on guy's it's getting a little silly, picked mine up for about £25.00 and not one of the water damaged copies either, still play it now and again, and still a popular record but not a three hundred quider.....makes you think what the really rare records should go for.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I would be very surprised to hear that anybody on this site does not think the Delegates of Soul is an amazing record. Contrast that with the Coconut Grove "My Proposal" which seemed to be roughly split 50/50 down the middle between like and dislike. The point I am tryign to make is that there are alot more than 100 people who want one of the 100 copies of delegates of soul. Put together the collecotrs in Japan, Europe, Uk, USA, Australia etc and there are alot of collectors. Add to this the funk scene that the record get's played on as well and you'll realise that it is one of the most indemand records out there.

IMO it seems like a solid £250er, try selling one for less on this site and see how many emails you get for it ;-)

Figure4.11.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

God I must be bored at work to think about writing this...

A house bought 15 years ago for £150000 in East Anglia would now be worth £350000. Over the same period aloaf of bread is roughly the same price and cans of baked beans have become cheaper. I don't know for sure because i had just started my secondary school education and had yet be a teenager, but I would guess that around 1989 there were alot of people 'off' the scene, doing the sensible things like buying houses, having kids doing a spot of gardening etc. Now many of them are getting back into it, they have paid off their morgage, their kids have left home and their house is worth a small fortune. They have bundles of disposable income.

So not only are there many more people back on the scene than in 1989, they also have alot more money to spend.

Add to this all the other countries and the funk scene that has emerged since 1989 and the price that a record was 15 years ago when somebody once saw a box of 100 bears little relevence to it's price today. Demand and supply and 'rarety' are two very different things.

It's a solid £250+ record.

Social source share

back to Charles Mintz

someone else reckons 800-1000 , was also told that I was there when a certain north wales dj grabbed one up for just a few hundred recently ...apparently:)

I would have said 600/700 squid Mike, not as good as Delegates in my opinion. Think I paid about £20 fro a Delegates in the 80's. Sold it for not much more few years later. The £350 plus is no one off silly ebay price though, all lately seem to be fetching that or more. Although over priced IMO, it should be £150 tops, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, same as any record.

Social source share

I would be very surprised to hear that anybody on this site does not think the Delegates of Soul is an amazing record

How surprised would you be if it was me who said it? LOLOLOLOL

Social source share

Well... I personally think his "Give a Man A Break" is much better than "Running Back". It was issued on both Uplook and Abbott, but the Uplook issue is the first release. His "Since I Found You Girl" (also on Uplook) is another good dancer.

Click below to listen to RAs of:

Give A Man A Break

Since I Found You Girl

Since I Found You Girl is on Adey Pierce's latest list for £30.

Social source share

I would be very surprised to hear that anybody on this site does not think the Delegates of Soul is an amazing record

How surprised would you be if it was me who said it?  LOLOLOLOL

I am surprised you like it. I'm lucky enough to have one and think it's a blinder, probably the funkiest thing I've ever heard. The Minz copy gives me a headache though, that wah guitar........am I a philistine?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I wouldn't be surprised Janine. Besides, everybody knows about your confused and often bizare tastes, so most folk will probably ignore your opinions on this subject. ;-)

X

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not my kind of sound either I'm afraid Johnny.

Though I might part with £30 for it if there werent any proper Northern Soul records in the box.

Social source share

I think The Delegates and Charles Mintz are both great records, distinct enough from each other to warrant having both. However, "Lucky Guy" by Charles Mintz knocks the spots off the Delegates of Soul original. The other, cheaper Charles Mintz records are great as well.

Someone once told me that the same quantity (300 copies) were pressed of each title on the label. When they're gone, they're gone etc...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not half as surprised as i was when it seems that you know the record in question ;o))) LOLOLOLOLOLOL

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not my kind of sound either I'm afraid Johnny.

Though I might part with £30 for it if there werent any proper Northern Soul records in the box.

So what exactly is "Proper Northern" ;o))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Johnny (the real one)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You know.

Skiing in the snow

Sign on the dotted line.

None of this funky stuff, like Happy Radio or I'll come running back.

Know what I mean ;-)

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I just missed The Delegates on a list at £400 (starting price, auction), although the seller took an offer of £500 and closed auction early, so £300's cheap (ish). Try Charles Mintz's cover, rarer, so more exclusive, but just as good! He also released an "up-to-date" version (sounds '70s at latest though) and you can pick these up for about £10.

I sold one on here a few weeks ago for £350, it went within minutes of posting. Sold another last year for £500 :thumbsup: true :huh:

Social source share

Agree with mr trouble a good £250+ record now. When were the £15/£25 copies bought??

I brought mine around 86/87 from JA @ Soul Bowl for £12,and it`s a mint one no water damage,

but then again i brought the Soul Communcaters off Mick S for £6 around the same time,it was just the way

it used to be back then,some of these 45s weren`t played at some of the big events more likely just to hear them at your local soul nights back then.

Dave f............

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Another of it's use to be @ this price, for all of you that think it's a £30-£40 record I'll give you a £100 today for your copy that's a quick £50-60 profit for you. If you aren't perpared to sell at that price, don't talk CRAP. whistling.gif

Social source share

Would be curious to know how many copies of Delegates were released, 200, 300. 500 ?, even so if the the amount of collectors searching for a copy exceeds the amount of copies in circulation, price is bound to go up, to quote a price of a record as it was 10 / 15 years ago seems a pointless excersice to me....

Doesn't matter how good or bad a record is, if demand exceeds supply price will always go up, it's a fact of life...unfortunatly.

Social source share

hi all

need to ask the question; what price for a water damaged copy?

russ

lel club, st.ives cambs, friday 7th, 8 - 2am see events

some would pay the same price for water damaged as you would mint. You see it every day where people pay mint prices for not so mint records smile.gif

I'd ask and probably get £350 nowadays for a minter :thumbsup:

I'm playing an unreleased version with an alternate vocal.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

hi all

need to ask the question; what price for a water damaged copy?

russ

lel club, st.ives cambs, friday 7th, 8 - 2am see events

i had several water damaged ones, most of which i sold 15-20 years ago for next to nothing smile.gif

i sold the last one six months ago to a soul sourcer for (i thi nk) 150 quid, which we both thought was fair.

Social source share

When the soul scene was far bigger and more concentrated, an in-demand record could sell a few thousand copies or more and dealers were happy to make a couple of pounds profit on each copy.

But things changed as the scene became smaller and more fragmented. Most "in-demand" records now struggle to sell a few hundred copies.

Selling less records to less people was obviously a problem for the dealers but they quickly found a solution: they simply raised their prices!

Dealers now make more money by selling just a handful of copies of a record. In some cases they might have 25, 50 or a few hundred copies, but it's more profitable to pretend there are only a few.

Meanwhile, many soul fans got so used to paying higher prices that they started to look down their noses at cheap records... "If it's only a fiver, it can't be any good". Price the same record at £200 and people start to show an interest! Sad but true.

The fact is that most records are not as rare as people think they are. All it takes is for someone to say "it's worth a thousand" and someone else will be absolutely delighted to find a copy for a mere £700. What a bargain! You've saved three hundred pounds!

It's simple economics with a bit of psychology thrown in. And things will never change as long as there are people willing and able to pay the high prices.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!