Just press the record button

Guest Kolla

Guest Kolla

I expect anyone within range of these two couldn't hear a thing over the inane chatter

Aah - those lovely tapes made in the olden days at nighters where the records become background noise to inane chatter - glorious.

Speaking off which - do people still do this - I mean, take tape recorders (or the Y2K equivalent) to all-nighters ? A few years ago, Randy gave me loads of C90s from several different nighters - great little slices of history.

How do people feel about this practise ... is it legal, immoral - what do other members think about this ?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I've got loads from late 70s early 80s. I took them along cos I could never remember who sung what etc. Especially at Stafford when you could have 20 or more 'first time out' tracks.

I have a great one of Gary Rushbrooke's last set at Stafford, where he plays a female vocal (see-memory of a goldfish), and you can here me say to my mates, 'what a fucking record.' My brother always says it to me when it is played now.

I would love to have more from that era.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just read that and a whole line and a half is missing from the first paragraph. Must have pressed the wrong button.

I did mean I took a recorder along. etc

Social source share

It might not be legal under certain circumstances, though I doubt too many care? Immoral? I don't think so, seems quite harmless to me.

Social source share

i too have got stafford tapes.(still dont know what keb darge was saying half the time) as you say great slices of history.At the time we thought it was a bit naff to do it but im so glad one of us did.There was so much new stuff being played and you just wanted to get to know it as fast as possible so you could get on that dance floor as soon as you recognised something.

Social source share

I went to a night in the early 90's where the promotor actually taped the whole evening and sold the tapes to people, I still have mine.

Social source share

I don't suppose that a tape with music on is much different to the dvd's being put out now of the weekenders! I have the prestatyn one and there are about 5 hours plus of the music on there. Not got around to watching the cleggy one from last year yet, got to get one of the boys to show me how to use the dvd player ;-)

Social source share

There's nothing wrong with this practise and I have loads I did from '78 onwards at various venues, all with dubious chatter in the background. It was a great way of keeping up with what was being played by whom and so on. remember this was a time when there wasn't the wealth of accessability to sounds etc that there is now. I do miss going into a venue and seeing the banks of recorders lined up along the stage and near the speakers.....oh how we laughed as we'd record 'hidden' messages for those foolish enough not to b keeping an eye on their recorder :-))))

Immoral? Kolla get a life you Scots wally :-) (lol) Your turning into Jason from Big Brother, but obviously a lot shorter!!!!

TheBigO

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Me? I didnae say it was immoral, ya wee toe rag. Don't you going trying to drag my good character down to your level.

I believe we should all be free! Free to do what we wanna do....

And i'm guessing by your last comment you're owning up to the fact you watch BB.... Ha Ha as Nelson Muntz would say!

Social source share

Hi Karen

Is it cheeky of me to ask for a copy of the Stafford tape???? i can give you something in return..

Sorry Steve it wasn't Stafford, it was the Howard Mallett club in Cambridge

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!