An introduction

Guest StoneSoul45

Guest StoneSoul45

I'm new, whats happening everybody?

My name is Ben but y'all can call me B. I'm a DJ/collector/soul obsessive from the great city of Chicago. I'm a regular on the Soul Strut forum but this seems like its more my speed as far as my tastes go. Lately my interest has shifted from strictly Northern to Sweet Soul, Group Sounds and doo wop crossover. I look forward to learning from and contributing to this forum.

-B

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Welcome B to the soul forum, some very nice people on here, and a few weird one's too (me included) 

Janine

I'm one of the nice ones :-)

Welcome B

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Welcome to the forum B i'm sure there will be plenty here to keep your interest ;o))

BTW Neither Janine nor Karen are normal!!!!!!!!! Nice yes but normal never in a month of Sundays ;o))

Love ya girlies ........

Thought i'd better put that in just in case they decide to gang up on me at a later date ;o)))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Big and 90 degrees out of whack!!!

How they get the drinks to stay on the bar at the 100 club i'll never know ;O))))

John

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Welcome aboard Ben,

I imagine you pick up a few choice "toons" round your way, pick up anything recently?

Haydn

Oh sure! Seems like rarities are falling out of the sky sometimes, hayden!

Some recent pulls:

The Vows - Lost In The City (Big 3)

The Diplomats - I'm So Glad I Found You (Dynamo)

Jo Armstead - There's Not Too Many Left Like Him (Giant)

The Scientists Of Soul - Be's That-a-Way Sometimes (Kashe)

Deon Jackson - Thats What You Do To Me (Carla)

The Impalas - I Still Love You (Bunky)

The Esquires - You Say (Bunky)

The Festivals - You're Gonna Make It (Collossus)

Denise LaSalle - A Love Reputation (Tarpon)

The Legends - Gotta Let You Go (Red Balloon)

Willie Cager - He's A Player (Contact)

The Five Crowns - Just A Part Of Life (Five O)

The Oncomming Times - If You Had My Love (Duo)

Johnny & The Expressions - Now That You're Mine (Josie)

Honey & The Bees - Help Me (Josie)

Darrow Fletcher - What Good Am I Without You (Jacklyn)

Billy Butler & The Four Enchanters - Found True Love (O keh)

Jimmy Soul Clark - Tell Her (Moira)

Thanks everyone (weird or otherwise) for the super warm welcome!! I think I am going to enjoy this scene!

Ben

Social source share

sh*t that photo came out rather big (bit like Karens feet hahaha) If its a problem mike ill take it down

I think you should take it down hehehe

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi B

Good to here from someone that side of the pond. AND I collect Dee Dee records from Chicago, so if you have any spares I'm your man ;-)

Hangs head in shame.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

sh*t that photo came out rather big (bit like Karens feet hahaha)

Sorted angel - made Karen a wee bit smaller :) )

Welcome aboard B -

Social source share

Sorted angel - made Karen a wee bit smaller :) )

Welcome aboard B -

Could you do it in real life also please? a size 10 would be good ;-)

Social source share

Welcome to the Forum, Stonesoul.

My experience has been that this a small and very friendly crowd; not to mention extremely knowledgable and generous.

I'm sure we'd be very interested to know just how easy or hard it is to find rarities in Chicago these days? Do your finds come mainly from dealers, thrift shops or what? What's the typical day of a Windy City crate digger like?

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Jo Armstead - There's Not Too Many Left Like Him (Giant)

How good is this? trulytrulytrulyreallyreallyreally good..

Welcome by the way ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Deon Jackson - Thats What You Do To Me (Carla)

even just reading title brings a smile - tricky northern or what

What's tricky about it? Always sounded like very easy to dance to and straightforward traditional northern to me. Much better than the lame and poppy "Someday The Sun Will Shine". Great record anyway.

Social source share

What's tricky about it? Always sounded like very easy to dance to and straightforward traditional northern to me. Much better than the lame and poppy "Someday The Sun Will Shine". Great record anyway.

tricky as in the rythmn has a "tricky" feel

always pair this with Buddy ace "its gonna be me" two great bits of trickyness:)

the flip of thats what you do.. not bad either in a more modern style

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Welcome to the Forum, Stonesoul.

My experience has been that this a small and very friendly crowd; not to mention extremely knowledgable and generous.

I'm sure we'd be very interested to know just how easy or hard it is to find rarities in Chicago these days?  Do your finds come mainly from dealers, thrift shops or what?  What's the typical day of a Windy City crate digger like?

hey thanks!

There are plenty of soul records in chicago. I do alright. Some big pieces are almost common. Sunday on Alteen, I see them around. Usually trashed of course. I have managed to put together the complete runs of the GIANT and DUO labels *still missing that funky three figure duo title, the name escapes me* I think alot of the store stock that was around was bought up and brought to the UK in the 80s before I could even say Renaldo Domino (I'm only 26). I have a dealer friend here who tells me about the good old 80s when nobody but the english wanted soul records. You mention a record to him and his eyes get all wide and he exclaimes 'STACKED TO THE CEALING!!!' I deal with dealers a little but I really like to get out in the moldy stacks and flip through thousands of 80s arista 45s searching, searching, searching!

Social source share

Welcome Ben, Your mention of Sunday on Alteen made me smile as we currently have two copies of that beautiful record and you are so right one at best is VG- and the other has seen better days......fantastic record, it must have been a small hit in Chicago back in 1969.

You do realise that they/we/us/me at some stage will ask you to look out and source records, watch em' there are a few in the know on here...lol

Again welcome Ben good to have you on board, I'm one of the crazy ones also watch out for the Big O', Mr Rimmer, Mr Croasdell, Mr Smith and a few others.

Been to the 'Windy City' several times always found tunes at places like The Record Dugout ( Steve ) is he still there on West 63rd Street?

I normally forget looking for records and end up falling out the Kingston Mines at 4am very drunk indeed................

Regards Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Welcome Ben, Your mention of Sunday on Alteen made me smile as we currently have two copies of that beautiful record and you are so right one at best is VG- and the other has seen better days......fantastic record, it must have been a small hit in Chicago back in 1969.

You do realise that they/we/us/me at some stage will ask you to look out and source records, watch em' there are a few in the know on here...lol

Again welcome Ben good to have you on board, I'm one of the crazy ones also watch out for the Big O', Mr Rimmer, Mr Croasdell, Mr Smith and a few others.

Been to the 'Windy City' several times always found tunes at places like The Record Dugout ( Steve ) is he still there on West 63rd Street?

I normally forget looking for records and end up falling out the Kingston Mines at 4am very drunk indeed................

Regards Mark Bicknell.

Ah yes, Sunday must have been a minor regional hit since chess picked it up and pressed it the same year. I got a mint copy off a dealer so I'm not grabbing them up anymore. Never see them clean out in the world. Same with Silk on Nation....ALWAYS WRECKED!

Yeah, Steve B at the record dugout has been VERY good to us over the years. My DJ partner jokes that we are the ones who put him behind the wheel of his classic corvette!

If anyone is looking for store stock copy of The Chimes 'the beginning of my life' let me know. I also have spares of some one derful titles up for trade...oh and a mint PJ 'TLC' promo that I found in quit an unusal spot.

-B

Social source share

Less than £100? I've got my cheque book out? send me the list/ website with it on please Mark ? Is it that Arctic soul one?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!