Soul Symphony

This has been bugging me for years:

Everyone knows that Soul Symphony was an instrumental version of Get Out Of My Heart (Moses & Joshua Dillard). So it made perfect sense that it came out on Coral by The Sons of Moses. But around 1974 the tune turned up on a British issue - was it the London label? - credited to an obscure outfit; think it may have been Hammond Brothers and Maggie. Same recording. If memory serves - and these days it is well dodgy - the issue was a B-Side to a song called Garbage Man (or similar).

Was it a mis-press? Any Soul Detectives know the full story on this?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Wasnt it on a black label with multicoloured writing??

MGM seems to be jumping out at me. Tough it could still be London in that it is also a black label

Social source share

Was released as Sons of Moses on MCA but also released as Hammond

Brothers could of been on Decca but not sure on that but with a different title if my memory serves me correctly ( which I doubt after 30 bloody years!!!)

See you tonight Mikey

Dave G

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ha ha. Echoes of our conversation on saturday night.

MGM - MCA

Isleys - 4 tops

Can you see the link??

I keep nearly getting there, but not quite.

No smutty comment thank you ;-)

Social source share

"Soul Over Easy" by Hamond Bros and Maggie on london. Had the long piano intro as did the vocal version "There Must Be A Love Somewhere" by Edie Robin on (Le Cam?). I'm sure there were a couple of other versions around as well.

Social source share

You got it Paul: it was Soul Over Easy. But who the heck were the Hammond Brothers and Maggie? And does anyone recall that the official A side was awful, bearing no relation whatever to the classic flip? Still like to get to the bottom of this!

Social source share

I Think Kev Roberts talks about it in the Top 500 book. Something about the entrepreneur owner of the track milking it for all it's worth. Still a cracking instrumental. I didn't actually realise until a couple of years ago that it was the instrumental version to Get Out Of My Heart, and I've had both sounds for 30 years.

Social source share

"Soul Over Easy" by Hamond Bros and Maggie on london.  Had the long piano intro as did the vocal version "There Must Be A Love Somewhere" by Edie Robin on (Le Cam?).  I'm sure there were a couple of other versions around as well.

yep on lecam

interestingly maybe ?

there's another version of "there must be a love somewhere" on lecam by Betty Brooks, which sort of fits in with thread

but on flip of her version that there's a great harlem rumble type instrumental called "funky funky" thats been popular round this way for a fair while , and likes of Robbo recently been playing elsewhere, think someone once also covered it up as "sons of moses"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!