What would you have done?

Went to a car boot sale on Sunday and picked a handfull of Uk red Atlantic (Otis Leavil , Barbara Lewis ect) , Action (Bobby Bland) , and a few others which i was pleased with because they were only 50p each and he let me have the lot (22) for £10.00. In with these 22 I had put in a 45 by Calum Bryce called Love maker which i knew was not soul in fact i thought it was by an Irish artist but thought i can sling it if its crap. Turns out according to Google search to be rare psychedelic but couldnt find a price guide for it so i thought i would put it on ebay with no reserve starting at £4.99 maybe fetching enough to pay for the other 21 45s.

Within the first hour someone asked to end the auction early for £130.00 but i said no as i dont like doing this. Then yesterday someone else asked to end it early for £250.00 which i nearly did , my missus saying i was been greedy when i said no again.He then came back an hour later with an offer of £300.00 which i refused again which started the greedy argument again. Its currently at £4.99 with 1 bid.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Am i bieng greedy?

What would you have done?

Craig.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

Greedy or not i think it's the same as paying for records.. i know you might think it's not "worth" 300£ but you know a couple of other 100 guys might prove you wrong. If someone ask you to take it off it's a good indication it's more expensive than that and an auction is a chance to give everybody a shot of owning it so no, i don't consider it greedy.. i would've been mind-boggled myself ;-)

best and good luck with the auction.

Leo

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Greedy - definately NOT

Luck sod - definately

I never ever find little treasures at car boot sales whine whine whine.

A word of caution though - you might find no other collectors spot that record on eBay this week and the guy that has offered you £300 will end up taking it of your hands for £4.99... but that's a risk you take.

Social source share

I love buying records from boot sales, I have over 1,000 crap records at home, less my cilla black collection which I gave to Roger Stewart for his birthday :-)))))

Social source share

That reminds me of another car boot sale buy, a sixties original album release with cover versions of "classics" such as "A lovers Concerto", "The Real Thing", "Everything I Touch Turns To Gear" and "One Two Three".

Oh Yeah that was "Cilla Sings A Rainbow"

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Playing Devils advocate here. And in no way do I think this is what happened to Craig, aka lucky #~]\|

If you stumbled upon what looked like a collection, and the person flogging these records obviously didnt have a clue. Would you:

Ask where he got them from, and possibly alert them that they might not know what they had?

Buy the records and keep schtum?

Call the police?

Social source share

If they obviously looked like they were from a stolen collection (which does happen now and again) then I guess inform the right people of such! I am going to stamp all my records with my name soon, just waiting for the stamp to be made up!

Social source share

Playing Devils advocate here. And in no way do I think this is what happened to Craig,  aka lucky #~]\|

If you stumbled upon what looked like a collection, and the person flogging these records obviously didnt have a clue. Would you:

Ask where he got them from, and possibly alert them that they might not know what they had?

Buy the records and keep schtum?

Call the police?

I dont think calling the police would help as i doubt if they know the value of rare 45s! LOL

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm sure you can figure out how to set up another ebay ID and then you can bid £290 on it yourself? In effect it's only putting a reserve on it, and the guy wants to pay £300 anyway, so he'll be happy with £295. ;-)

Not that I advocate such underhanded behaviour of course, just looking out for a fellow soul-sourcer! If you can't set up another ID, drop me an email, I've got a couple of spare IDs kicking around;-)

JT

Social source share

Yes good idea but according to his story he was out of town from last night for a number of weeks and wouldnt be around to pay but i know that was bullshit. The other one who asked first said he needed it to play at a gig in Italy at the weekend so it would be too late when the auction ended!

Craig.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

don't be spoofed out. Refuse to lose, and rinse those Psyce rock loving losers for ever penny their worth and use the money to take your missus out for a slap up meal, a nice bottle of wine or two and a night at the theatre;-)

Social source share

"don't be spoofed out. Refuse to lose, and rinse those Psyce rock loving losers for ever penny their worth and use the money to take your missus out for a slap up meal, a nice bottle of wine or two and a night at the theatre;-)"

Dont know where you live JT but if it fetches 300 Quid I can pay for all of those things for a whole year and still have change , or buy a 3 bedroom semi detached here in Wolverhampton prices are so cheap for such a posh area.

Craig.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Wey-hey - I see the bidding has got underway on eBay and you're doing well.

Worth taking the risk then Craig.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Nah mate

Bag of fish and chips and a copy of Darrow Fletcher.

Nowt wrong with that... as long as pudding is deep-fried mars bar

Social source share

looks like going get a good result there Craig

must be a similar few non-northern find storys out there

think 300 off a deep soul japan want 45 was me best non-northern find

did once "win" 800 quid on the back of a prince record once though

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Can't help wonder what this 45 will eventually finish at. Good luck to the seller I say because I am sure the buyer will not resent handing over the cash. Its obvious people are desperate for it and that comes with a price.

Did anyone out there actually know the 45 prior to the original post?

I feel for the guy who recently paid £2500 on ebay for a Sex Pistols BOOT!!

Shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!