Your first time

Me and PaulR had a conversation this week which meandered into the first record we ever heard at an allnighter.

For Paul it was Alice Clark; mine was Landslide; both at VaVa. As an aside, the first song I heard at an alldayer was Duke Browner. I'll never forget how the crowd all clapped in synch on the downbeat each time the piano motif came in; it blew me away.

Wondered if this might make a nice thread?

Can you recall the first sound you heard at a 'nighter? Share some memories if you feel inclined...

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

First records heard at a real soul club would have been Exus Trek-Sweet Sherry-Thumb A Ride-Only your love can save me, all on my first time at the Pendulum.

I can't remember what I heard at my first All Nighter as I had a lot of stuuf going through my head at the time :-o

Tony

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The mind plays tricks nowadays but the ones that stick out are probably Johnny Brag - They're talking about me and Ron Holden - I'll forgive and forget.

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think my first was Ben Zine - Village of Tears at Yate. And like Dayo, I can vividly remember everyone clapping along.

Actually, and I think this was a bit of a Yate thing, 'Ever Again' and 'You don't love me'. At most nighters people would clap quickly 3 times at the appropriate break, but at Yate you used to get an 'echo' three claps afterwards, and then an almighty clap after those. Absolutely superb, hair on back of neck kinda thing.

And JOT, Johnny Bragg, on Elbejay. First Northern Soul record I ever bought, at the long missed Turntable Two in Dursley.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Technically the first song I ever heard was at a soul night in Edinburgh and for years I thought it was called "Love in a Warehouse" - cos that's the pal that had taken me told me it was called. Years later I found out it was actually called "Love Factory" ... doh!

However, the first song I honestly remember hearing and thinking - my god, this sound is magic... so this is northern... was actually Troy Dodds "Try My Love".

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Two fantastic records there Kolla a couple that never seem to get jaded at least for me ;o))

JoT

Social source share

One of the first tunes i remember was Night Owl at Queens Hall Bradford in 81...me and the Mod crowd from Huddersfield got the last Bus to Bradford after a day on the Beer..It was gonna be are first all-niter and a night to remember...If you could picture it now..a bunch of young lads all asleep before 3am with a belly full of beer...the song said"here come's the night owl,walking through the door"we lasted about 3 hours but soon got the hang of it...The good lord told me to stay away from the fire water and go see the man in the corner with the eyes of an owl...

Social source share

I remember the first Northern Allnighter I went to was at the now sadly unused Ritz in manchester. I can't remember the first record I heard, there were too many I didn't know. But Landslide was the first Northern Record I danced to that night.

The first NORTHERN record proper that I ever heard Was Howard Guyton. And I wonder how I stuck with it so long? That record is magical still.

Social source share

The first time I ever knowingly heard what I knew to be a Northern record - and saw Northern dancing - was when this bloke aged about 20 turns up at the local youth club, wearing baggies, tank-top with patches, etc. He says "put this on" to the DJ and proceeds to start doing back-flips, spins and high kicks to 'Tainted Love'. Record finished, he picks up his 45 and walks out leaving this completely baffled group of 12-year-olds to get back to Saturday Night Fever or whatever we were listening to before.

Social source share

First time for me was at the Longbridge club in Kent, a short lived semi regular night ran by the older brothers of some old school mates. " I ain't no schoolboy" duke Baxter was the first one I heard and even tho' I couldn't dance (still can't!) I just HAD to move.... Still is one of my memory inducing tracks...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!