the greatest northen soul CD

Guest Baz

just see on the TV an advert for the greatest northern soul cd now i beg to differ that considering it is all the traks of the kfc adverts all though they are all great soul records just think some big shots are trying to cash in on OUR seen so much for the ultimate underground

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I had the sound off on the telly and didn't realise untill the end what the advert was for. What tracks are they sticking on it? Must be more than KFC adverts.

Social source share

I think these are the tracks.

# Track Title

01 Frank Wilson - Do I Love You?

02 Laura Greene - Moonlight, Music And You

03 Stevie Wonder - Uptight

04 Dusty Springfield - Spooky

05 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Heatwave

06 Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

07 Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two

08 James Clarke - Blow Up A Go-Go

09 Contours - Do You Love Me?

10 Tony Alvon & Belairs - Sexy Coffee Pot

11 Marlena Shaw - California Love

12 Velvelettes - Needle In The Haystack

13 Temptations - Get Ready

14 Four Tops - The Way You Do The Things You Do

15 Miracles - Shop Around

16 Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup

17 Supremes - Dancing In The Street

18 Little Eva - Locomotion

19 Fontella Bass - Rescue Me

20 James Brown - Think

21 Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Throughthe Grapevine

22 Mary Wells - My Guy

23 Ramsey Lewis - Wade In The Water

24 Quincy Jones - Soul Bossa Nova

25 Marvelettes - Too Many Fish In The Sea

26 Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine

27 Jr. Walker - I'm A Roadrunner

28 Edwin Starr - Sos

29 Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

30 R Dean Taylor - Ghost In My House

31 Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love

32 Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself

33 Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Loviin'

34 James Brown - Papa's Got A Brand New Bag

35 Jr. Walker - How Sweet It Is

36 Staple Singers - Respect Yourself

37 Booker T & The Mg'S - Time Is Tight

38 Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff

39 Lynda Lyndell - What A Man

40 Eddie Floyd - Bring It On Home

41 Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher

42 Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

43 Al Green - Light My Fire

44 Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People

45 Len Barry - 1, 2, 3

46 Capitols - Cool Jerk

Craig

Social source share

obviously been put together by some one who thinks they know northern/rare soul. think they left off lenny gamble on the track list

ha ha ha

Social source share

Bet Craigs allready been to Tesco's and bought a copy ;-))

Nah Janine cut & pasted it off the official website , even I wouldnt list Marlena Shaw as California love, and for the record (or should i say CD) looked at it in Asda and thougt what a pile of shit .By the way my 19 year old son thinks the Chi Lites latest KFC offering is the best thing he has ever heard in his life and sings it constantly.

Craig

Social source share

It's a great start for classic soul, but not Northern. I'm kind of obliged to defend these tracks, cos a lot of em feature in our MoveOnUp playlist, but then we've always been an introduction to Northern Soul and never ever billed ourselves as a full on Northern night.

On the other hand, I don't reckon we could ever compile a greatest 'Northern Soul Ever' CD, since we all have such differing tastes. I'd have to have at LEAST 7 volumes!

To be fair to whoever put it together, there's some undeniably great tracks on there. Marlena Shaw, Miracles, Linda Lyndell (which always bizarrely gets listed for the flip?!) and Jr Walker. All great soul records. Just pull em out and give em a listen....

I reckon we have a tendency to lose touch with the sublime records we often take for granted. Me included.

Social source share

There is another on sale in Asda with a similar title, but it is a single CD with most of the KFC tracks and other decent things. I only had a quick glance and the only really duff track was the "Lorraine Chandler" Simon Soussan tailor made version of Love you Baby.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

In the CD's defence.. it's actually called "60s Soul Mix- Music to feed your soul". There is no reference to Northern Soul on the CD notes.

That doesn't change the fact though that the compilers are complete blockheads. It says quite blatantly on the front cover "50 classic tracks" and then lists 46! In saying that, i'll probably buy when it goes to £1.99, just to own the classic Marlena Shaw's California Love.... LMHO

Social source share

Kolla snap, and I bet most will when they see it for £1 or 2.99. Maybe it's just the TV ad that bills it as the best NS CD ever then. Wonder if it will bring either handbaggers or new blood. Mind you isnt a handbagger new blood in the making sometimes?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I seem to remember someone telling me that a certain Ian Levine had a hand in putting this lot together, it would certainly explain the over the top rhetoric (greatest ever etc...)

Having said that the fact that it is released on MoS alone tells you what the target audience is and it ain't us now is it??

If it brings some new blood into the scene then fair play i say ;o))

John

Social source share

On a similar note i bought The strange world of northern soul dvd set off Ebay when it first came out for £49.99 and was totally horrified when i watched it .What a load of pap , put it back on Ebay a few months ago with a starting bid of £4.99 (and would of been happy with that) and it went & fetched £100.00 when you can still buy it now for £49.99.

Craig.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

On a similar note i bought The strange world of northern soul dvd set off Ebay when it first came out for £49.99 and was totally horrified when i watched it .What a load of pap , put it back on Ebay a few months ago with a starting bid of £4.99 (and would of been happy with that) and it went & fetched £100.00 when you can still buy it now for £49.99.

Craig.

A bit unfair IMO Craig it was an ambitious project that didn't quite work as well as perhaps it could have but if only for the artist and punter interviews alone is a worthwhile documentory. I agree that some of the reworks don't (work that is) but some do it's almost worth the price of the DVD just to see Kegsy driving round and round in a car park for no apparent reason LOL ;o))

John

The other bit that i must admit made me smile was the interview with Ady that had the 4 Vandals in the background at what was a very contraversial time ;o)))

Social source share

A bit unfair IMO Craig it was an ambitious project that didn't quite work as well as perhaps it could have but if only for the artist and punter interviews alone is a worthwhile documentory. I agree that some of the reworks don't (work that is) but some do it's almost worth the price of the DVD just to see Kegsy driving round and round in a car park for no apparent reason LOL ;o))

John

The other bit that i must admit made me smile was the interview with Ady that had the 4 Vandals in the background at what was a very contraversial time ;o)))

Good point John , i totally agree it does have its good points but from a musical point it is let down. imo.

Craig.

Social source share

On the subject of dodgy CDs and classic tracks performed by the original artists, I thought I had a bargain when I purchased "Northern Soul Stompers" although I had most tracks on CD there were several gaps that this CD would fill. Nowhere did it say that they were re recordings. Am I alone in thinking that although it was good getting all the old artists back to perform the old tracks of yesteryear, I actually do not want to buy a CD full of the re recordings when I was expecting the original versions to feed my nostalgia. Cheers. At least other cheap CDs you see have the warning "these tracks have been re recorded by the original artist etc"

Social source share

Guest Kolla

and it went & fetched £100.00 when you can still buy it now for £49.99

eBay - doncha just LOVE it.

I'm banging my head on the table very hard... I gave mine away as a charity raffle prize last year as I didn't think anyone would buy the bloody thing off me... The raffle was for a good cause though so hey-ho...

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

I thought I had a bargain when I purchased "Northern Soul Stompers" although I had most tracks on CD there were several gaps that this CD would fill. Nowhere did it say that they were re recordings.

same thing happened to me. I bought it, listened to the first opening bars and promptly returned it, rather annoyed. Its very naughty not making it clear that they are not the original recordings but then who would buy it if it did say that?

Social source share

Hi all, I am new here but just thought i would but in, re KFC list i happen to think Frank Wilson "Do I Love You" is brill, cant say its my favourite because there are to many.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi all, I am new here but just thought i would but in, re KFC list i happen to think Frank Wilson "Do I Love You" is brill, cant say its my favourite because there are to many.

Hi Soulbowl. Welcome to the list.

Of course Frank Wilson is a classic, but some of the wags on here are having a laugh at some of the tracks on the cd that arent Northern Soul, or are generally regarded as third rate tracks.

I love the Laura Green, despite the cringeworthy intro, and there are a few nice tracks on there. But if the advert is going to spout nonesense about the cd, then it is open to criticism.

Social source share

Hi Mickey and thanks, I have been a NS fan for about 20 years (god that makes me sound old lol) few of my favourites Doris Troy,Judy Street 's What, even my kid's sing along to that one lol.

does anybody know where i can get hold of Millie Jackson "A House For Sale".

Social source share

One for the retro nostalgia set here me thinks, or typical of the part time soul crowd who have a habbit of getting on my nerves at some of the local type soul nights...i.e play something we know mate!!!!! what am a DJ or a jukebox..lol don't answer that one i know i look like one a jukebox that it, now thers a thought pipe the music from one central location to the various venues who go down this route as the same 200 playlist seems to do, save on DJ fee's and wasting my time.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mickey and thanks,  I have been a NS fan for about 20 years (god that makes me sound old lol) few of my favourites Doris Troy,Judy Street 's What, even my kid's sing along to that one lol.

does anybody know where i can get hold of Millie Jackson "A House For Sale".

Soulbowl, I am taking it this is NOT a piss take.

The records you remember from 20 years ago, are I assume from Scooter rallies. No disrespect to those rallies, but the music was for people less keen than some of the more hardened soul crowd.

It is easy for many of us to criticise stuff like Doris Troy now, but in their day they were very popular.

The allnighter scene today is a long way from where it was 20 years ago, so you wont be hearing many of those old sounds any more.

Where do you live. i'm sure some people on here might be able to tip you onto a friendly local soul night, where you will hear the popular tunes of today.

And if you really want the millie Jackson track, you can have mine for £50.. JOKE!"!!!!

But I bet I'm not the only one on here who bought that when they first started listening to Northern Soul.

Social source share

Well, why not indeed - just new to this list I got happy looking at the titles: well, it seems to be easier to please northern soul afficionados than I feared. And I happen to think Frank Wilson's track musically not very relevant - much less relevant than many of the tracks mentioned anyway. It seems to be so popular because it is scarce (no longer, I suspect...).

And with a sigh of relief I conclude I know who is Lenny Gamble. An in-joke which does notr escape me. Maybe he made the choice?

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Mark .. now be nice! :) )

Welcome SoulBowl. Hope you enjoy the site and in particular the incredibly healthy and honest discussions we have here.

K

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Millie Jackson "A House For Sale" was one of the records to end Cleethorpes 2002.

I have a great memory of standing, hands on hips, on the stage watching a thousand people throwing their hands in the air and dancing in what can only be described as a HARD HOUSE style... And NO it wasn't in the modern room before ya ask... and the reason i was on stage... telling Ady to take it off and put something I liked on :) )

Social source share

Well that got you all going didnt it, as far as i am concerned it doesnt matter if you have listened to NS for 1 or 20 years the fact is Northern Soul is Northern Soul just because i happen to like some of the older ones doesnt mean i am going to get on someone's nerve's does it now,slap my hand for liking older one's why dont you lol

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Anyone want to take this classic cd off my hands for £1.00. It has everything , recordings, re recordings , 70s disco , a purple fist and is on the legendary K-Tel label. Something for everyone.

If not it goes on Ebay.

Craig.

Craig i have no sympathy it clearly states on the cover that they are all re-recordings of the originals and you only have to look at the track listing to hazzard a good guess at where this one came from ;o))

John

Social source share

>Would have been better to call it "The Soul Of Colonel Sanders"!!

Or 'The Greatest Northern Soul KFCD in the World'. :)

I really love the Mille Jackson. It's great. And it ALWAYS sounds great at Cleethorpes. But then doesn't everything? Tho Anna HATES it. It's one of the 70's sounds she hasn't warmed to. But then she said that about Eric Lomax.

>On a similar note i bought The strange world of northern soul dvd set >off Ebay

You know some things you really regret doing........? That was mine.

Regards

Ian's 'Protoge' x

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Matt - you had to BUY IT!!! But you WERE the Cleethorpes footage (Tis true - ye don't get nowt fer nowt these days .)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!