Gill Scott Heron - BBC TV Friday

GIL SCOTT-HERON: THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED

BBC Two Friday 16 July 2004 11.35pm-12.35am 2004

This documentary from Grammy-winning director Don Letts looks at the godfather of rap's significance to music and civil rights.

Scott-Heron's confrontational, no-nonsense street poetry and songwriting skills have inspired the modern Hip-Hop generation. He is perhaps best known for his two 1970s RnB flavoured chart hits - The Bottle and Johannesburg - but his work includes more than 20 albums and two novels.

Gil has documented, and in many cases anticipated, the massive political and social changes in the United States with anger and integrity. This programme features concert footage and contributions from disciples such as Chuck D and Mos Def.

Scott-Heron was born in Chicago in 1949

The musician published two novels, satirical thrillers called The Vulture and The Nigger Factory

Small Talk at 125th and Lenox was his first collection of poetry, the work was set to music and released as an album which subsequently earned Scott-Heron the title of "the godfather of rap"

He provided the voice for the well-known advert "You know when you've been Tangoed"

He received a prison sentence for the possession of cocaine and refused rehabilitation as an alternative to jail

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Cheers for letting us know Mike... will definately watch if we make it back from John Cooper Clark on time :)

Two inter-westing facts...

1) Gil's estranged dad played for Celtic football club.

2) If it hadn't been for GSH, Esther Philip's would never have been able to create the best and most tragic cover version of all time - "Home is where the hatred is"

And I recommend every reads the book "The Vulture and The Nigger Factory" (it's an omnibus edition of the two novels that GSH wrote in the '70s) - great and moving stuff.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wey hey one of my all time favourite artists set the video for this one methinx ;o)

I went to see him a few years ago at the Jazz Cafe in London, i was working there at the time so was all on me lonesome but what a fantastic gig it was the man is a LEG END

John

Guest in town Mikey

If it hadn't been for GSH, Esther Philip's would never have been able to create the best and most tragic cover version of all time - "Home is where the hatred is"

Bought that for my little bruv Mark, as a birthday present. Gave it to him at the 100 club, as a surprise and he was dead chuffed. As p####ed off, as Mark was happy was Little Stevie when I told him I got it off evil bay for $20 including p&p.

Guest Adam G

Bought that for my little bruv Mark, as a birthday present. Gave it to him at the 100 club, as a surprise and he was dead chuffed. As p####ed off, as Mark was happy was Little Stevie when I told him I got it off evil bay for $20 including p&p.

Hi how much does the 45 go for? I always thought it was a very cheap record.Esther always seems to do cover versions justice.I love her version of Sam Dees "Cry to me" on the" Good Black" lp especially as Sam provides the backing vocals.

Adam

Guest in town Mikey

Hi how much does the 45 go for? I always thought it was a very cheap record.Esther always seems to do cover versions justice.I love her version of Sam Dees "Cry to me" on the" Good Black" lp especially as Sam provides the backing vocals.

Adam

I think it is only a £20-30 record, but it comes up for sale very very occasionally. I was the only one who bid on it, so I was very lucky.

Cant remember seeing one for sale since.

think its part of the re-showing bbc 4 music programmes, so chance maybe someone already seen it and can pass view on it

Excellent film but heart breaking to watch the deterioration in Gil over the years.

Check here for his da's bio. According to Celtic legend Bertie Auld, his team mate Charly Tully describes heron as turning up in a "Zoot suit with Yalla shoes"

https://www.footballculture.net/players/int_heron.html

FrankM

my grasp of the english language isnt always as it should be seeing as I am from Bhutan originally

Interesting. I thought there was a bit of the Drukpa people in you Karen. Which part of Bhutan are you from. Allways wanted to visit but the problems over the Tibetan plateau and the Himalyan region in general even put the most discerning traveller off. Still it must be worth it for the vast variety of birds and plant-life that you get there. We must talk more when i see you next.

She lives in Kings Lynne (just as bad though I guess ;-)) You have to follow tractors for mile to get to her soul do! Which reminds me Karen when is the next one going to be?

Guest in town Mikey

I once stayed in a Karen Village for three nights in Northern Thailnad, where my girlfriend was too ill too move. Lived on rice and green peppers for the entire time while she threw up constantly.

Became fluent in the Karen language, which seemed to be - grinning fiendishly, pointing a lot, and shouting words with only one syllable in, and laughing like a hyena at me.

Best bit tho was the village children puling the ginger hairs on my legs, and collapsing in hysterics when they realised it was real and not stuck on.

I once stayed in a Karen Village for three nights in Northern Thailnad, where my girlfriend was too ill too move. Lived on rice and green peppers for the entire time while she threw up constantly.

Became fluent in the Karen language, which seemed to be - grinning fiendishly, pointing a lot, and shouting words with only one syllable in, and laughing like a hyena at me.

Best bit tho was the village children puling the ginger hairs on my legs, and collapsing in hysterics when they realised it was real and not stuck on.

Karens are known for their colorful traditional clothes and for their energetic and jubilant festival dances. Foremostly, the Karens are known for their hospitality and friendliness which they readily extend to everyone.

Maybe they were showing you their friendly side Mikey :-)

Guest in town Mikey

Karens are known for their colorful traditional clothes and for their energetic and jubilant festival dances. Foremostly, the Karens are known for their hospitality and friendliness which they readily extend to everyone.

Maybe they were showing you their friendly side Mikey :-)

I'm sure they get fed up with people keep trapsing thru their villages and taking photo's. Don't suppose they get much compensation from the tour companies.

It must have been a novelty having us stay for the three days. Sherie was really way too ill to go on. They were fantastically nice, and looked after us completely. I think the kids were sorry to see me go, because they would have no-one else to laugh at.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johnny One Trout

It was unfortunately i can't help out with the Vid as i only remembered it was on at the very last minute...

OK i just happened on it by mistake when channel hopping away from BB

John

Think need to start adding worthwhile media events to event guide, as I missed it as well even after posting it up on here!

Cant see any major problems if people post up the likes of the gsh doc in events guide, anyone?

Tv trivia: Saw that "downhill racer" film (a track featured on it had a bit of discussion a while back ) was on other day, caught a bit of Ruby Wax looking at the nite club business talking about flyers and "thinking" that a "move on up" flyer was advertising an opera event

off topic dvd triv - anyone tried them 150 quid dvd recorders yet ?