Ernie Johnson Of Eddie & Ernie Dies

I just received this news from John Dixon who was Ernie's friend and business advisor.

"Sad to tell you that Ernie Johnson was killed in Phoenix on Saturday

night.

He was hit by a car and died instantly."

Ernie recorded the very rare solo single 'I Can't Stand The Pain' on Artco and was half of the magnificent male duo Eddie & Ernie who recorded deep soul classics on Eastern, Checker, Buddah and Revue among others.

More details to follow soon.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just received this news from John Dixon who was Ernie's friend and business advisor.

"Sad to tell you that Ernie Johnson was killed in Phoenix on Saturday

night. 

He was hit by a car and died instantly."

Ernie recorded the very rare solo single 'I Can't Stand The Pain' on Artco and was half of the magnificent male duo Eddie & Ernie who recorded deep soul classics on Eastern, Checker, Buddah and Revue among others.

More details to follow soon.

link

what a brilliant duo they were.

outcast and lost friends two of the best records ever IMO

rip

Social source share

As a recent featured interview which highlighted his later years and his lifestyle, was featured on site here a while back (link below), as did find it made thoughful reading when first read, in light of recent sad news its worth highlighting again

Transcripts of Interview with Ernie Johnson and John Dixon here

link:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/content/view/11901/26/

There was also recent article on a Phonix website, but appears to be up no longer, (if anyone can find it please post)

the brief clip that was used on here is below

Half of 60s Phoenix soul duo plucked from obscurity

"I'll need to get a ride with you," said Ernie out of the middle of nowhere. We were waiting for his turn to sing Karaoke at the AmVet Post #15 at 7th St. and Broadway in South Phoenix Wednesday night. "I live at 13th and Pima on the west side," he followed. "I wish I would have known you were going to need a ride, Ernie," I said. "I have to leave early, before you sing the last time, sorry."

He walked from there and would walk "home" - more like a backyard to put his stuff and sometimes a night on the couch in the house - a round trip of nearly 7 miles. I left without taking him since I needed to quickly get back to Phoenix to watch another band play before the bars shut down. The next day I asked him if he was able to find a ride and he said, "I started walking and a friend of mine saw me and picked me up. He said, Man you walk fast. Aren't you tired? I said no, I walk this 2 or 3 times a day."

..........can find rest of a long and lengthy article here complete with photos

link below now seem to be no longer

https://www.aznightbuzz.com/mt/000119.html

...... ending with the footnote

When he asked if I was going to pay him for interviewing him I explained that the interview wasn't going to be broadcast so there would be no gratuity, but hopefully the story might generate a few sales of the CD, which would trickle down to him eventually. To this he said rather cryptically "Yeah, somebody should hear and feel and know."

Pan out on the Wednesday night Karaoke at the AmVet Post #15 where Ernie Sweetwater Johnson can be found, working the room in more ways than one and enjoying the momentary spotlight. Picture he and I, seated at a long table waiting for his turn, when an impressive female singer starts tearing it up on the mic. Sweetwater turned to me and said, "She can sing good too. Sweetwater and you aint the only superstars in the house

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Very sad news indeed. Dave Godin was a big fan and with this in mind, when Dave was given a dalmation puppy last year, I suggested Eddie or Ernie for a name. He chose Ernie. When Dave died a few months later, Ernie Johnson's namesake came bounding into the funeral service wagging his tail, much to everyone's delight.

R.I.P Ernie Johnson, another life tragically cut short.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Really sad news shades.gif

Only just got a copy of the kent cd lost friends last week

What an outstanding duo they were

Shame they never scaled the heights of soul stardom which they so deserved

Al H

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

very sad news

is this the same ernie johnson who recorded big man cry on steph and lee in the late 70's? one of my favourite records - it never occurred to me before that he was the ernie from eddie&ernie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert