Tune Alert

People

Just to let you know that THIS Sunday at The Orwell all dayer, we'll be dropping the most incredible record most will hear this year!

Rob Grant sent me a cd-r of this a month ago and i've been bursting to play it at The Orwell..........................

Listening to the record you will seriously not beleive it was made this year! It sounds like 70's Philly Soul at it's very best. Fabulously catchy song, raspingly soulful vocals sounding not unlike a cetain Mr Pendergrass, real drums, swirling Salsoul strings, vibes et al................................I kid ye not THIS IS A MONSTER.

My guess is that the 'Orwell type' venues will go bananas for it, Y2K Modern Soul venues will lap it up and the Northern scene may even take it to it's heart - it's that good!

So what's it called then?

'That's what love does'

Produced and arranged by Vince Montana Jr with vocals from William 'Smoke' Howard (ex of The Ebony's)

Coming out on 12" in September but will be played out THIS Sunday at The Orwell.

Have a quick listen here https://robgrantrecords.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Sounds/vince.rm

My advice is to drop Rob an email on robgrant@blueyonder.co.uk to secure your vinyl copy the day it comes out!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Possibly the same record I heard the weekend before last??

Your description sounds excatly like one I heard in a bar in Newport.

It blew me away, so I went up the the wally DJ, who was playing it off a white label 12". I asked him who it was etc etc, and he said he didnt know, he just had records sent to him and he played them whistling.gif

So I offered him a tenner and he knocked me back. I went up to the £60 I had on me. He said he wouldnt sell it because I was either pissed or mental, and either way I'd be coming back demanding my money back and he didnt want the hassle. Just before a bouncer asked if I'd rather drink in a different bar, I managed to tell the Dj I wasnt drunk :thumbsup:

Even went back the next lunchtime and had a word with the bar staff. This doughnut only works every other Saturday night in the bar. I'm going back very early this Saturday to try to convince the guy I genuinely want the record. I just hope he can remember which one it was and can find it.

Social source share

Possibly the same record I heard the weekend before last??

Your description sounds excatly like one I heard in a bar in Newport.

It blew me away, so I went up the the wally DJ, who was playing it off a white label 12". I asked him who it was etc etc, and he said he didnt know, he just had records sent to him and he played them  whistling.gif

So I offered him a tenner and he knocked me back. I went up to the £60 I had on me. He said he wouldnt sell it because I was either pissed or mental, and either way I'd be coming back demanding my money back and he didnt want the hassle. Just before a bouncer asked if I'd rather drink in a different bar, I managed to tell the Dj I wasnt drunk  :thumbsup:

Even went back the next lunchtime and had a word with the bar staff. This doughnut only works every other Saturday night in the bar. I'm going back very early this Saturday to try to convince the guy I genuinely want the record. I just hope he can remember which one it was and can find it.

link

Deffo not worth £60,its allright they will be 50p by next year?,how can you compare this with Teddy P.........no way!!!...surely when DJs get this stuff,theyre

sent reaction sheet,which will have all the info one needs release date;artist;etc

or what is the point?,anyway wait a couple of weeks you will be able to buy in

the shops then actualy support the artist you like so much!and not the DJ who you

obviously you dont like!!!.....Keep the faith,Ken

Social source share

MP3 DOWNLOAD NOT THE ACTUAL 12"  :thumbsup:

link

Dont think so,there are some promos underneath £7.99,think that what they are,

besides you can get a EMI done for £25 so saving £30+ shades.gif

Social source share

Kenny,

The above 12 is forthcoming on vinyl in 3 weeks or so.

It's a US import and will be available for around 8 pounds.

Not quite sure where you're gettin the idea it'll cost 60 pounds??

Anyway, thanks to the people who've placed their order..

Much appreciated.

Rob.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Kenny,

Much appreciated.

Rob.

link

60 quid is what mikey offered a dj in his local pub for a copy

Shane

Social source share

Kenny,

Much appreciated.

Rob.

link

Read post No2 shades.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Wish I could listen to the link to see if its the same.

OK OK I was desperate, pass it to Sam, makes it big sell it for a couple of months mortgage blah blah evry body happy.

I was just doing my bit for world peace, honest.

Will pop into a computer shop and get some new speakers on the way home.

Social source share

People

Just to let you know that THIS Sunday at The Orwell all dayer, we'll be dropping the most incredible record most will hear this year!

Rob Grant sent me a cd-r of this a month ago and i've been bursting to play it at The Orwell..........................

Listening to the record you will seriously not beleive it was made this year! It sounds like 70's Philly Soul at it's very best. Fabulously catchy song, raspingly soulful vocals sounding not unlike a cetain Mr Pendergrass, real drums, swirling Salsoul strings, vibes et al................................I kid ye not THIS IS A MONSTER.

My guess is that the 'Orwell type' venues will go bananas for it, Y2K Modern Soul venues will lap it up and the Northern scene may even take it to it's heart - it's that good!

'That's what love does'

Produced and arranged by Vince Montana Jr with vocals from William 'Smoke' Howard (ex of The Ebony's)

Coming out on 12" in September but will be played out THIS Sunday at The Orwell.

Have a quick listen here https://robgrantrecords.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Sounds/vince.rm

My advice is to drop Rob an email on robgrant@blueyonder.co.uk to secure your vinyl copy the day it comes out!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

link

:( Sharp intake of breath.You're playing it off a cdr ???

Have you consulted the 'Soul Police' ? :(:(:(:D

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

nice pass on

though  the Louis Benedetti's Classic Dub mix does more for me than the one first posted

way read site was $7.99 gets you all the 3 mixes in mp3, that right?

link

Yes that's right Mike. It takes bloody ages unless you've got broadband.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

any news on this?

It is one of the tracks we have licenced in to include on our next Southprt Weekender album on suSU.

Will be on mix cd, unmixed cd and one of the tracks on 2 x 12" vinyl.

Released October 24.

Neil

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

any news on this?

Thanks to everyone who's already ordered.....now finally here...

Cheers,

Robbie

EMAIL - robgrant@blueyonder.co.uk

TEL: 01324 634478

ROBBIE GRANT

CHAMAR

WINDSOR ROAD

FALKIRK

FK1 5EJ

CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED.......

NOW IN STOCK:

VINCENT MONTANA FEAT: WILLIAM ''SMOKE'' HOWARD - ''THAT'S WHAT LOVE DOES''....PSW US - £7.99

https://robgrantrecords.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Sounds/vince.rm

12'' FORMAT ONLY...

POST IS £1.50....OR £2.50 RECORDED.

OVERSEAS POSTAGE ON REQUEST.

Regards,

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Cheers,

Robbie

ROBBIE GRANT

CHAMAR

WINDSOR ROAD

FALKIRK

FK1 5EJ

NOW IN STOCK:

VINCENT MONTANA FEAT: WILLIAM ''SMOKE'' HOWARD - ''THAT'S WHAT LOVE DOES''....PSW US - £7.99

12'' FORMAT ONLY...

Regards,

got my copy yesterday (thanks rob)

just get this, it's fantastic!!!!!! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Doesn't matter how good it is if I'm going to have to snap it in half to fit it into my box.

Isn't there some clever vinyl compression technology that could fit it onto a proper record?

12", whatever next!

:unsure:

Social source share

Doesn't matter how good it is if I'm going to have to snap it in half to fit it into my box.

Isn't there some clever vinyl compression technology that could fit it onto a proper record?

12", whatever next!

:unsure:

I could ask my postman to help you out there.................he can bend a 12" without snapping it :unsure::D , looks like Everton will be in the championship next season................ the English one not Europe.

See ya @ the snug on sunday :wicked: .

Top tune btw, gonna place me order now.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I could ask my postman to help you out there.................he can bend a 12" without snapping it :unsure::wicked: , looks like Everton will be in the championship next season................ the English one not Europe.

See ya @ the snug on sunday :unsure: .

Top tune btw, gonna place me order now.

My first Eeverton dig. It's been a while coming :D

NO SNUG THS SUNDAY. It's after the 100 Club! 30th

Social source share

It's a superb choon , got a copy of it on CD five weeks ago with various mixes on it (cheers CUNNIE) it's been played around East Mids and Sth Yorks now for a month or so, doe's that make this area a hotbed for soul music :wicked::unsure:

No it means the Soul Police are on their way...CD? whatever next...mp3's and a laptop with a powerpoint presentation of labels we can't afford projected behind the DJ? :unsure:

Social source share

Many thanks Rob............................... :wicked: , i ordered the 12" yesterday afternoon & it arrived first thing this morning. Great service.

Garv.

Social source share

Cheers,

Robbie

ROBBIE GRANT

CHAMAR

WINDSOR ROAD

FALKIRK

FK1 5EJ

NOW IN STOCK:

12'' FORMAT ONLY...

Regards,

Tune Of the Night at Lowton Civic Hall Modern Room last night sounded fantastic and causing quite a stir with the crowd. Looks like being a monster sound over the coming months.

Social source share

People

'That's what love does'

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Very well produced but deceidedly ordinary imho, just needs a little spark to bring it out, tends to go on a bit, would buy it for a fiver but certainly none of the prices quoted on here

Social source share

Not at all John, just the hype on this forum making it out to be a top tune, don't really think i'd play either

I think you'll find the dancefloor reaction to this,over the coming months will prove it's not just 'hype'.

It's a great great tune.

I suppose it's a bit cheap at £7.99 to be a 'top tune' :thumbsup:

Pete

Social source share

I think you'll find the dancefloor reaction to this,over the coming months will prove it's not just 'hype'.

It's a great great tune.

I suppose it's a bit cheap at £7.99 to be a 'top tune' :thumbsup:

Nothing at all to do with the price, I just don't think it's a strong enough record but as you say the dancefloor will decide

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to buying a copy. Don't buy many new releases these days but if they were up to the quality of this release I'm sure I'd buy a lot more :thumbsup: Anyone recommend some other new releases worth buying.

soulmac.

Plenty around as ever, some of my faves in the past month or so as follows..

Blaze - Here With Me - Lifeline

Pirana Head & Diviniti - Love - Mahogani

DJ Oji Ft Carolyn Victorian - Everything U Want - King Street

Hajime Yoshizawa Ft Vanessa Freeman - Sweet Way - Geneon (Jap cd)

You'll always find plenty of decent recomendations in Neil Rushton/Bob Jones columns in Manifesto, and I'ld be lost without Paul Phillips Sat night show on Solar Sky 879 (2200 - 0000).

Cheers, Robin

Social source share

Finally got round to buying a copy. Don't buy many new releases these days but if they were up to the quality of this release I'm sure I'd buy a lot more :huh: Anyone recommend some other new releases worth buying.

soulmac.

There`s two real soul albums out at the moment you might want to give a listen to. Lou Pride - Keep on believing for the excellent "love will make it alright".

The Unifics album - Return for the midtempo gem "lifetime and a half".

Trouble is there cd only so a lot on here might turn there noses up at them :shades::shades:

Trev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!