stupidest question ever

wendy

okay - this question is DUMb - but I need to know the answer! can anyone out there ever remember hearing Dickie Rock's version of Waterfall played in a club anywhere at any time in the 70s? I just cant believe it happened, but I was told it did get played. if you know what i'm talking about then please name & shame that club

thanks

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I do remeber a song called waterfall by (I think) Jimmy Cliff getting plays.

Who is Dickie Rock? And why is it a stupid question??

Social source share

Guest Kolla

By the way - Are you sure someone wasn't pulling your leg ? I know what you Dublin lot are like. Paul Davis sent me this photo of a thumb taken at Cleethorpes 2003 - He told me he'd found it outside the chalet Sunday morning :?

18.jpg

Social source share

Tony Bennett . err. Dickie Rock isnt quite on a par with him. He's more like something out of Phoenix Nights. But yeah - I saw that record on a list a while back and was told it did get played at least once.

Social source share

Dickie Rock was/is an Irish artist who represented Ireland in the 1966 Eurovision Song Contest with "Come Back To Me" - I don't know where the song finished up in the contest though. Most of his records in the UK were released on Piccadilly between 1964 and 1967, though I have to confess not knowing his version of "Waterfall" - not a patch on Jimmy Cliff, I'd bet!!

Gene

Social source share

Talking about song contests, aparently Jimmy Cliff won a brazilian song contest with the wonderful "Waterfall"

Could be right about Jimmy & the contest in Brazil

Once had a copy of El Cascada (Waterfall) on Brazilian Phillips p[layed @ 33/3

Ian

Social source share

Dickie Rock was/is an Irish artist who represented Ireland in the 1966 Eurovision Song Contest with "Come Back To Me" - I don't know where the song finished up in the contest though.  Most of his records in the UK were released on Piccadilly between 1964 and 1967, though I have to confess not knowing his version of "Waterfall" - not a patch on Jimmy Cliff, I'd bet!!

Gene

on a totally worthless trivia thread

apart from the most obvious other irish connection, any other eurovision "soul" connections

wasn't there a recent "modern" spin which was flip of a uk submitted entry, dont think it made the final line up one of those "wannabe" ones

other connections, more aobscure the better :)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

That will be

Midnight - Keep on Walking by - Ariola

which was the flip to Don't bother to knock which was up for nomination for the UK Eurovision entry but didn't make it. Great little record did you know that it occasionally crops up on German and Australian issues weird when you consider that it was a failed eurovision entrant ;o))

Apparently the band were US servicemen and women who were stationed in the UK - allegedly ;o))

John

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

okay - this question is DUMb - but I need to know the answer! can anyone out there ever remember hearing Dickie Rock's version of Waterfall played in a club anywhere at any time in the 70s? I just cant believe it happened, but I was told it did get played. if you know what i'm talking about then please name & shame that club

thanks

Well, I certainly remember hearing it two weeks on the run at Carolines, on Deansgate, Manchester in the late 70's. (It may have been called Nocturnes by then, as Sandy Hadley was being played at the same time, well before it got booted.)

I wasn't that keen on the version but I recall having a glimpse at the decks to see what label it was on. If I'm not mistaken it was on the silver/blue United Artists label. I'm not sure if it was released in England as the DJ told me it was an Irish copy. The DJ was Richard Searling BTW.

Waterfall, at all at all!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!