Up & Coming Soul D.j's

Just cause they are under 30 shouldn't automatically give anyone the right to dj  wink.gif

Anyway isn't this being ageist or whatever they call it  :D   :lol:

link

Totally agree with you Chalky, or any one over 30 for that matter........have herd plenty of 'DJ's' who cant string a spot together :D for example playing a 70's tune inbetween two R&B records or visa versa :huh:whistling.gif

For my two penneth worth i would think in the right enviroment, us yung uns would try to be a little more experimental :)

Edited by Baz
Social source share

• Replies 96
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Totally agree with you Chalky, or any one over 30 for that matter........have herd plenty of 'DJ's' who cant string a spot together :D for example playing a 70's tune inbetween two R&B records or visa versa  :huh:   :D

For my two penneth worth i would think in the right enviroment, us yung uns would try to be a little more experimental :)

link

I try and be a little more experimental whatever the environment wink.gif by that I mean I don't conform to the same old same you hear week in week out whistling.gif:lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

personally i don't see the music being that different in a young un's room than it would be in any other room , just younger people playing it.

an upfront crowd will breed an upfront playlist , an oldies crowd and yer dead on yer arse if you try and experiment ...

ps .. merely opinions

Davie

Social source share

personally i don't see the music being that different in a young un's room than it would be in any other room , just younger people playing it.

an upfront crowd will breed an upfront playlist , an oldies crowd and yer dead on yer arse if you try and experiment ...

ps .. merely opinions 

Davie

link

That what i ment Davie! you put it into better words than me whistling.gif

Social source share

ps .. merely opinions 

Davie

link

errr..I agree whistling.gif:D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I try and be a little more experimental whatever the environment  :D   by that I mean I don't conform to the same old same you hear week in week out  whistling.gif   :lol:

link

funny , you accused me of "trying to hard to be different " for doin the same thing :huh:

Davie

Social source share

ps .. merely opinions 

Davie

link

Yes, but isn't fair to say that the younger DJs wouldn't be at a venue that attracted just the entrenched "top 500" crowd?

Social source share

I loathe young DJ's, and their progressive playlists, i want my DJ's in a near catatonic state, stinking like "Otters" and remembering nothing beyond the last seven minutes...... whistling.gif

Social source share

Yes, but isn't fair to say that the younger DJs wouldn't be at a venue that attracted just the entrenched "top 500" crowd?

link

why does everyone associate young uns with an upfront music policy? In my experience I've often found young uns (not all I might add) to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to oldies and upfront whistling.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I loathe young DJ's, and their progressive playlists, i want my DJ's in a near catatonic state, stinking like "Otters"  and remembering nothing beyond the last seven minutes...... whistling.gif

link

post-1261-1125598095_thumb.jpg

Social source share

why does everyone associate young uns with an upfront music policy?  In my experience I've often found young uns (not all I might add) to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to oldies and upfront  :D

link

I can only comment on the ones I have heard.....and they ain't too inclined towards the, erm, "classics" whistling.gif

Social source share

I can only comment on the ones I have heard.....and they ain't too inclined towards the, erm, "classics"  whistling.gif

link

and so it should be, plenty of great underplayed/forgotten oldies out there that need playing. The only thing letting the young uns down is they just don't have the knowledge, experience or contacts of some of the older upfront guys to compete on an even footing, not on the so called "newies" scene. But then again they shouldn't really try and compete, just do there own thing, go with the records that they have some belief in and just keep plugging away, their time will come sooner rather than later if they are good enough :D

Social source share

There is a few on here, all playing somthing alittle differnt too, not your to 100 ect.....

The soulsville lads, Jamie & Rich

James Trouble

Rachel

Richard Bergman

Richard Walker

Matt Bolton

My self

All though i think most of us would consider ourself's more collectors who, spin on occations whistling.gif

link

OOOOps must need new glasses :D

QoF

xx

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

that was cause you were playing Elvis  :D

link

yeah i did ..... and i still do

i noticed it appeared on the stow-a-way soul playlist also whistling.gif

maybe it's just a case of playing what I believe in , no?

Davie

Social source share

and so it should be, plenty of great underplayed/forgotten oldies out there that need playing.  The only thing letting the young uns down is they just don't have the knowledge, experience or contacts of some of the older upfront guys to compete on an even footing, not on the so called "newies" scene.  But then again they shouldn't really try and compete, just do there own thing, go with the records that they have some belief in and just keep plugging away, their time will come sooner rather than later if they are good enough whistling.gif

link

Agree wholeheartedly about underplayed oldies.

As to the sweeping statement about the "newies" side of things, which I suspect was made with tongue firmly in cheek :D , I've heard records played by the younger element, as recently as this weekend, that would be completely new plays on this scene.

Social source share

Agree wholeheartedly about underplayed oldies.

As to the sweeping statement about the "newies" side of things, which I suspect was made with tongue firmly in cheek whistling.gif , I've heard records played by the younger element, as recently as this weekend, that would be completely new plays on this scene.

link

I take it that was from JTrouble, probably an exception :huh: How many can you think of that can play a set of unknowns? Some names and an example of what they play would be nice :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I take it that was from JTrouble, probably an exception  whistling.gif   How many can you think of that can play a set of unknowns?

link

that an interesting question

Davie

Social source share

At the end of the day (IMO) it's not the young dj's who are the future but the younger dancers. It doesn't matter who plays the records. Some of the top newies, upfront dj's these days have yet to hit 40 so in theory have over 20 to 30 years in them looking at the age of some of the scene. It's also took many of the older 'uns years to get where they are as well so it ain't gonna happen over night for some sprightly 20 something whistling.gif

What happens when some of the young ones, the future as some have said get married, have kids, careers start to get in the way?? They will go the way as many did years ago, drop off the scene, so where will the future be then.

If the young guns are seriously the future then they also have to bring with them the scenes future newies and I don't see many out there breaking new records, simply for the reasons I stated in an earlier post.

Granted some do have some unknowns, but where did they come from, chances are from one of the older generation. If that is the case then why did one of the older generation sell it????

At the end of the day it may be all irrelevant, I don't see enough young 'uns coming on the scene to sustain it for years to come.

Social source share

I take it that was from JTrouble, probably an exception  biggrin.gif   How many can you think of that can play a set of unknowns?  Some names and an example of what they play would be nice  :D

link

Now you ARE being mischievous :lol::huh:

An exception....possibly - but I can't think of many of any age who would play a complete set of unknowns..... and what constitutes an unknown anyway?

A lot turn out to have been played in the past, however infrequently, and are remembered by somebody.... that's come up on here enough times!! whistling.gif

Names? you've supplied one and I can also remember hearing Little Richard play one or two a while back that were new to me personally but its no good asking if I can remember now the name of a record I heard at 2.00am one Sunday morning in July :)

Social source share

Now you ARE being mischievous  wink.gif   :D

An exception....possibly - but I can't think of many of any age who would play a complete set of unknowns..... and what constitutes an unknown anyway?

A lot turn out to have been played in the past, however infrequently, and are remembered by somebody.... that's come up on here enough times!! whistling.gif

Names? you've supplied one and I can also remember hearing Little Richard play one or two a while back that were new to me personally but its no good asking if I can remember now the name of a record I heard at 2.00am one Sunday morning in July  :D

link

:D:lol::P just palying devil's advocate or trying to get debate going :huh:

As for a set of unknowns....I can think of three but they are all older 'uns :) Trouble is breaking new sounds, todays scene don't have the tolerance or patience of eras gone by unfortunately.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

whistling.gif   :D   :lol:   just palying devil's advocate or trying to get debate going  :)

As for a set of unknowns....I can think of three but they are all  older 'uns  :huh:   Trouble is breaking new sounds, todays scene don't have the tolerance or patience of eras gone by unfortunately.

link

a serious question though , can a young dj break a new tune ? or do you need the reputation to be able to do it ?

Davie

Social source share

a serious question though , can a young dj break a new tune ? or do you need the reputation to be able to do it ?

Davie

link

Or is it not the fact that lesser know DJ's have been doing that for donkeys years, but at the end of the day if a Big name picks up on it its common knowlage they broke it whistling.gif

Social source share

At the end of the day (IMO) it's not the young dj's who are the future but the younger dancers.

link

Now that is a very good point whistling.gif

Although we're slipping into a subject thats filled many pages on here before, I have to say that I've generally seen a bigger proportion of new, and younger, faces at smart venues promoted/played by the younger DJs.

I'm not sure that new records are sole answer to getting these people interested..... I think variety is the more important factor!

As you said before, there are so many underplayed/forgotten records and they can equally well provide that variety.

What is a turnoff to many is the playing of moderate records just because they bring back memories of 1973 to some :D

Social source share

Davie

link

a reputation helps..and the bookings of course. But there should be no reason why a young dj can't break a new record to the scene if his or her sets are good enough, presented right. They also need the bookings, which like I said if they are good enough will come their way. (all IMHO of course)

Social source share

Or is it not the fact that lesser know DJ's have been doing that for donkeys years, but at the end of the day if a Big name picks up on it its common knowlage they broke it whistling.gif

link

I would imagen they would have the bigger scope of putting said record about to the mass's more, which in turn would cause a record to end up as there's....where as some one leser know would not have the wider audiance :D

Answering myself now :huh:

Social source share

Pretty much agree with everything Chalky has said.

Pretty much everything has been discovered (that's worth discovering!) in the Mid 70's onwards so I'm never gonna play a set of unknowns. Undiscovered stuff goes for over 4 figures if it's any good. Plus they get offered to the big boys because the have the cash, profile and experience.

However Mr Trouble isn't short of a few quid (compared to a bum like me anyways :huh: )

I don't have the means, financial, contacts or otherwise to become a DJ. If my financial situation changed i.e. I won the £36M roll-over this weekend, then maybe my outlook on the matter would change.

I'm struggling just to keep a roof over my head at the minute, so no way can I buy any big tunes. I have to dig about and find a few cheapies to play some new tunes.

I've even had to sell a few and send the odd one in for auction to raise a bit of cash. Half my recent new records are as a result of trades. I'm basically getting shut of my Oldies to change my playlist a little bit.

I set out to collect and never wanted to get rid of any of my records, but needs must and all that. I've been on the verge of selling up completely a number of times very recently just to solve my money problems.

I'm pretty realistic, I know my limits and I'm quite happy to put a little night on in Leeds with quality guests and playing the odd tune myself.

I'm also really pleased to get asked to play anywhere else, but looking at the whole picture I know I'm never gonna pull up any trees, but I'm enjoying myself just doing what I'm doing.

If I never played again I'd be happy with my lot. I've met some great people, played at some great venues and been on the same line-up with some big names and people I really respect.

That's about it really. :D

Jamie whistling.gif

Social source share

I'm pretty realistic, I know my limits and I'm quite happy to put a little night on in Leeds with quality guests and playing the odd tune myself.

I'm also really pleased to get asked to play anywhere else, but looking at the whole picture I know I'm never gonna pull up any trees, but I'm enjoying myself just doing what I'm doing.

Jamie whistling.gif

link

:huh: Top fella, my sentiments too :D

Social source share

Guest Little Miss Soul

Ian Williams from Bristol (or Brizzle, depending where in the country you are) and Steve Harry from Swindon are good.

Young, upcoming and full of..........soul!

TIP: If you are ever in the Bristol area, check out the getting together evenings.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

link

thats closer to my opinion i think :D

Davie

Social source share

i dont see what difference age makes as to playing good tunes as for younger guys with unknowns to play adam leaver springs to mind he has supplied some of the well known dj's and collectors with extremely good stuff, as was said before by jamie and someone else there is very little to be discovered now, other than unnissued stuff

i am in the same boat as jamie i put on a little soul night and get to play there and if i get asked to play anywhere else i am really chuffed the only difference is i am an old git :D

and i too cannot afford to spend thousands on so called one off's so rely on the lesser known and cheaper stuff whistling.gif

mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!