Chris Anderton

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wrong section (belongs in "Look At Your Box") but I'd say a real world price is closer to £125 than to £500. There has been a few originals on ebay this year and they did not go anywhere near £500. A top collector said he paid £500 a few years back though, but things change. There is also a bootleg of this record, god knows what market it was aimed at though.

Social source share

Whether or not you can find more than one, there has been a few of them. If you use popsike you should know that for some reason many things don't register there, so it gives no definite answer. I bid on a copy you also bid on, and there has been at least 2 more original copies in addition to that one in the last year. Lew Stanley has also had it more than once. None of the copies on ebay (I bid on two of them, so I know) went very high, certainly nowhere near £400. As far as I recall they all went to Japan, perhaps one might have gone to the US. There was also a copy listed at $400 I think, which got no bids and went unsold (Dylan C. can confirm since we discussed this copy). This does not mean it won't fetch £400 in the UK of course, since prices are often many times higher from regular UK dealers than from ebay and other such sources when it comes to lesser known/sought after items. It also does not mean it is not 'worth' £400 when considering rarity and so on, just that no one (or at least not 2!) on ebay thought so. The copy you can find on popsike was properly listed and went for $317, around £160, earlier this year.

Social source share

The market for the top deep soul rarities seems to have effectively collapsed. Recent ebay prices for records like Jimmy Armstrong on Brothers Three (about $200 rather than four times this figure in the recent past) would seem to suggest this.

Are you selling a copy, Chris? If so, I'd say condition is crucial to the price you could expect to get. A mint copy could fetch near the four-five hundred quid mark. If it's significantly less than mint I think it could be tough to shift at any price.

The bootleg was aimed at Jamaican collectors of slow soul records in NYC and Toronto, by the way.

Whatever the price, this record is cheap because it's simply awesome.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

This 45 took me longer to get than most other 45's i've ever chased - some 15 years ! mind you this was before the days of ebay and guides and mothers little helpers this has always been a very rare record and strangely enough the limmy armstrong gareth mentions took nearly has long to find !

gareth quite rightly points out the reason for repress or boot quite simply a jamaican or big city soul fans must have mmmm ah proof of rarity they can't find originals to buy, infact henry stone used my copy for his c/d project - don't think he'd ever seen a copy let alone owned one.

the ending some what similar to the shrine recordings productions -truly awesome record !

Social source share