William Bell

Guest Kolla

Guest Kolla

William Bell is 65 today. Happy birthday Mr. Bell

As a little tribute - just wanted to start a topic about him. What's your favourite Bell song, have you seen him live, any little anecdotes ....

My personal favourite is "BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN" - it's the goddam hammond - i'm lovin' it as the youff of today would say.

Best gig would have to be seeing him at the Jazz Cafe a few years ago. It was utterly brilliant - felt like he was singing in my living room. The previous night he had duetted with Sharlene Spiteri on "Private Number" but on the night I went, he duetted with Tony Smith's sister-in-law, Jane Tretton, who frequently does backing vocals for the Cleethorpes weekender Live Acts. Jet and Tony weren't there to see her so I did the wolf-whistling for them :0) Anyway - that's my fav WB gig. Nick Brown did an interview with him afterwards - read interview here.

BTW - I did get the shock off my life when I first visited his website this morning (www.williambell.com ) - i thought - christ he's looking mighty fine for a 65 year old - then realised it was a photo of Jeff Lloyd - doh!

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

Congrats to "the man in the street" ;-)

Favourite W.B. songs:

"man in the street"

"i forgot to be your lover"

"tryin' to love 2"

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Congrats to "the man in street" ;-)

Favourite W.B. songs:

"man in the street"

"i forgot to be your lover"

"tryin' to love 2"

best

Leo

Oi you've just nicked mine ;o)))))

John

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I BET WILLIAM WAS"HAPPY"-WITH HIS B'DAY. HAPPY MY FAV-BOUGHT IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. STILL GOT IT WITH MY NAME ON IT. ALWAYS USED TO PUT OUR NAMES ON RECORDS OTHERWISE SOME BUGGER WOULD NICK 'EM AT PARTY'S.

Social source share

He is a great, great singer! One of the best of the Stax squad and didn't ever get as much fame or recognition as Otis Redding or Sam and Dave did. Although, Ms Kolla, I think Homer Simpson's version of 'Born Under a Bad Sign' is probably the definitive one!

Social source share

'Don't Stop Now' is definitely my favorite WB tune.Also got a CD with a WB track called 'Lets do something together' on it,brilliant tune but no idea if its an album track or 45 anyone help?

Stamford

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!