Incongruous label names/designs

This is a really stoopid question, but I'm gonna present it anyway, cos it's 5pm on a Friday, and I don't finish for another hour and a half. And I'm curious.

Are there any label names that we actually mis-represent, either by writing them or pronouncing them wrong?

Here's an example. Barbara Dane has always been listed as being on '3-Trey'. See, Trey is actually 'Three' anyway, just not in English, which makes sense that they put the number there as a design feature. Doesn't really make sense to call it 'Three Three' does it? So I reckon we've always got that one wrong.

Same with 'ALTEEN'. I always thought it was A 1 Teen. As in, 'top yoof'. Tho I could be wrong. But to me it always made more sense. Unless it's like the Anna label and has those kind of relative(sic) influences.

These can't be the only two. Between us, we know a million and a half crazy small labels.

On your marks, get set. GO!

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Never quite know how to say Dore' is it ...door, or is it door a (apologies for that quite awful description, but i guess you'll know what i mean)

Social source share

Rotherham,

Know it!! That record was a spoof doo-wop record issued in the '70s, and credited to The Beatles!! The same outfit released a similar spoof doo-wop record by the Five Shits on the Lost Cause label (a spoof of Lost Nite, but had a picture of a dog pooing from the top of the lamp post!!).

On the subject of incongruous labels (and bodily functions), what about the Poo Pan label? What was going through their heads?? Wonder if they were having the same type of laugh as the creators of "Captain Pugwash" did all those years ago!!

Gene

Social source share

Right, while we're at it;  what's the explaination behind the word "Okeh"?

"Okay" would have been more obvious wouldn't it?  Or this there another reason for the name of Chicago's greatest soul/blues label?

In 1918 Otto Heineman founded "OkeH" records using some of the first real 'flat' records, as opposed to cylinders, developed by the Keen-O-Phone company.

Since then is probably just associated with OK(ay) because they sound the same?

Social source share

Dayo,

According to two sources I have come across, "Okeh" is Chocktaw (an American Indian tribe/language) for "Indeed". 

Yes Okeh-y!!!

Gene

Gene you're right, just spotted the Indian chap on the original label!!!

Where did OKAY come from?

The Choctaw theory

In the American Choctaw Indian language, there is a word okeh, which means "it is so". It is likely (although I can find no hard evidence) that this word was used in some American communities in the early 19th century. There is a report that Andrew Jackson, during the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, learned of this Choctaw word, liked it, and used it.

Woodrow Wilson also preferred this etymology, and used okeh when he approved official papers. His use led to this particular form being picked up by Okeh Records, "the name of a series of popular phonograph records" [Mencken, 1936] as well as hot-dog stands, shoe-shining parlours and more.

Social source share

Best label i saw (can't remember artist or title) was "MIRACLE"

At the bottom of the label it said "If It's a Hit, It's A Miracle !!!!

Didn't the Gogate label have something similar like "If it's not on Gogate, it's not a hit"?

And had those multi-million sellers - The Trent Sisters & Little John?!!

Social source share

Thanks to all for the interesting Okeh info.

I recall my bother in law had some old blues stuff on Okeh 78's. They were so beautiful just to look at.

I was quite a ceremony whenever he would change the cartidge in his "Dual" hi fi deck for a 78 stylus(?) and pickup, then spin them with such reverence it bordered on religion.

Social source share

label names come no stranger than 'Babie Poo'!!!

Gail Turner 'Love is Blind' is the only thing I have personally on this label - nice 80s mid-tempo - don't know if they were forced into a rethink after that??

Scotty

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Rich what's the record like is it any good or does it stink B-Bum

Sorry i turned into Basil Brush for a moment there it won't happen again ;o))

JoT

Social source share

thats the trouble with toilet humour - we just finish up taking the piss!!

maybe that R'n'B thing 'CoalMiner' by Nappy Brown should've been on the label - for that is a record that does stink!!!

i'll get me coat

Scotty

ps the Gail Turner thing ain't bad at all and 'will have it's day' as they say

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!