Just Had A Great Time At Lytham Nr B/pool

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest taylormadesoul

:D A TOPIC FOR ALL WE,VE JUST HAD A GREAT NIGHT AT A LOCAL DO WITH SOME LOCAL DJS WITH SOME AWESOME TUNE,S ON ORIGINAL VINYL WHICH IS NICE

BUT WHY ? DO NONE OF THESE FEATURE IN A WEEKENDER 2MINS FROM WHERE WE ALL LIVE !!!!!!!! :shhh:   :shhh:   :shhh:   :shhh:

link

because certain promotors have their own agenda re;DJs..

regardless ..............................

glad to see original vinyl played...unlike a few venues in and around the kirkham / salwick area which have no problems playing pressings...stopped going because of this issue

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

no..its not a dig...

and the dj wasnt a guest dj either...it was a resident dj...DEFO

but it really shouldnt matter if its the first or last hour ....

and its wasnt during the warm up either.......

it was at PRIME TIME

Edited by taylormadesoul
Social source share

no..its not a dig...

and the dj wasnt a guest dj either...it was a resident dj...DEFO

but it really shouldnt matter if its the first or last hour ....

and its wasnt during the warm up either.......

it was at PRIME TIME

link

Social source share

Surely this depend on whether you advertise yourself as original vinyl only - then I would not expect to hear pressings at any time. A lot of venues allow cd's as their night is just for a casual gathering - fine get what u expect. I am friends with people who pay a lot of money for rare records and have been to a venue where a warm up act have played a boot .......... was not a pretty sight.... in fact have seen Dave Rimmer publically shame someone for doing this to him and don't blame him.

Back to the post - dj bookings are down to who you know sometimes, rather than the quality of your records - sad to say

Social source share

Surely this depend on whether you advertise yourself as original vinyl only - then I would not expect to hear pressings at any time. A lot of venues allow cd's as their night is just for a casual gathering - fine get what u expect. I am friends with people who pay a lot of money for rare records and have been to a venue where a warm up act have played a boot .......... was not a pretty sight.... in fact have seen Dave Rimmer publically shame someone for doing this to him and don't blame him.

Back to the post - dj bookings are down to who you know sometimes, rather than the quality of your records - sad to say

link

Said it myself many times not what you know sometimes more the case who you know, we all know a DJ should be booked on merit, depth of collection, reputation and entertainment value but it's often jobs for the boys i'm affraid always has been and always will be, often if you try to be a maveric of freelancer it will back fire on you big time, still who cares really, did what you can when you can for who you can when kindly asked, this often closed shop can sometimes have a negative effect on the quality and depth of music played, as for the pressings/bootleg issue i really have not opinion on this anymore because what ever you say can often come across as being a snob or whatever so no comment on that one.

Perhaps a case of too many venues, too many DJ's, too much of everything really, go through the motions if you will or choose where and when you wanna get soulful............good luck.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Said it myself many times not what you know sometimes more the case who you know, we all know a DJ should be booked on merit, depth of collection, reputation and entertainment value but it's often jobs for the boys i'm affraid always has been and always will be, often if you try to be a maveric of freelancer it will back fire on you big time, still who cares really, did what you can when you can for who you can when kindly asked, this often closed shop can sometimes have a negative effect on the quality and depth of music played, as for the pressings/bootleg issue i really have not opinion on this anymore because what ever you say can often come across as being a snob or whatever so no comment on that one.

Perhaps a case of too many venues, too many DJ's, too much of everything really, go through the motions if you will or choose where and when you wanna get soulful............good luck.

Mark Bicknell.

link

exellent MARK 100% BANG ON

Social source share

exellent MARK  100% BANG ON

link

Cheers mate, i guess you just have to get on with it, head down, collect and do the gigs as they come to you really, i guess it also depends on how badly you want it, me i just do my own thing, if asked fantastic if not then thats fine, it's certainly not worth beating yourself up over, yes i love the music always have and always will but sometimes the negative vibes on this scene over shadow the very thing that got us all on this scene in the first place THE MUSIC, ego's, personal differences, scene politics, whos hot and whos not is fragile and total crap, the best way forward is to enjoy the music it was here before us all and will be there long after we finish with it, if anyone will be listening to it then is another matter, if we ain't careful we could end up destroying it.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Cheers mate, i guess you just have to get on with it, head down, collect and do the gigs as they come to you really, i guess it also depends on how badly you want it, me i just do my own thing, if asked fantastic if not then thats fine, it's certainly not worth beating yourself up over, yes i love the music always have and always will but sometimes the negative vibes on this scene over shadow the very thing that got us all on this scene in the first place  THE MUSIC, ego's, personal differences, scene politics, whos hot and whos not is fragile and total crap, the best way forward is to enjoy the music it was here before us all and will be there long after we finish with it, if anyone will be listening to it then is another matter, if we ain't careful we could end up destroying it.

Mark Bicknell.

link

you touched on a subject that could be used as a new topic...

DJs -- "private members only"

is it a case of how you know ???????

in many cases yes....is this fair ????????????

Social source share

Why do some people include "let's have no politics & just enjoy the music" in their posts then do precisely the opposite?

Can any dj honestly say they have never played a record of "dubious" origin?

Think about the word honestly before you answer.

Collectors & djs have this misconception that they own the scene - many of whom are so anally retentive that to actually be bothered to spend some time on a dancefloor & heaven forbid "enjoy themselves" is beyond them.

Twenty dancers or one "chin stroker" - which of these adds up to a good night at a venue?

Social source share

you touched on a subject that could be used as a new topic...

DJs  --  "private members only"

is it a case of how you know  ???????

in many cases yes....is this fair ????????????

link

I don't think it's always down to the DJ's perhaps more to do with the nature of the scene and how sometimes having all the big ticket rare records seems to be the passport to becoming a big name, which is true in some cases but not all.

I have no comment on the private DJ members thing as again i feel this is perpetuated outside of the DJ circle as often non DJ's if you like seem to have a much louder voice when it comes to how things should be rather than how they really are, quite simply the answer to having a pop at DJ's or thinking they could do better is to put up or shut up, bring on anyone who can do the buisness, breaking into this DJ thing can sometimes prove a little more difficult, it's something that takes a good few years rather than something that will just happen over night, because a box of top notch big ticket items does not always make a top notch DJ, i guess you have to earn your membership into the DJ fold.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Why do some people  include "let's have no politics & just enjoy the music" in their posts then do precisely  the opposite?

Can any dj honestly say they  have never played a record of "dubious" origin?

Think about the word honestly before you answer.

Collectors & djs have this misconception that they own the scene - many of whom are so anally retentive that to actually be bothered to spend some time on a dancefloor & heaven forbid "enjoy themselves" is beyond them.

Twenty dancers or one "chin stroker" - which of these adds up to a good night at a venue?

link

Respect.....very valid points here, i simply meant that some of us put the music first because that why we are here, strip all the crap away and what are you left with? the music, and no one is bigger than the scene or it's music.....deep down we all know that.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I don't think it's always down to the DJ's perhaps more to do with the nature of the scene and how sometimes having all the big ticket rare records seems to be the passport to becoming a big name, which is true in some cases but not all.

I have no comment on the private DJ members thing as again i feel this is perpetuated outside of the DJ circle as often non DJ's if you like seem to have a much louder voice when it comes to how things should be rather than how they really are, quite simply the answer to having a pop at DJ's or thinking they could do better is to put up or shut up, bring on anyone who can do the buisness, breaking into this DJ thing can sometimes prove a little more difficult, it's something that takes a good few years rather than something that will just happen over night, because a box of top notch big ticket items does not always make a top notch DJ, i guess you have to earn your membership into the DJ fold.

Mark Bicknell.

link

Hi Mark, always interested in this subject, lot of valid points there mate. Speaking as a bloke who's had a go at most things on this scene - apart from being a big time DJ etc and never having paid much for records!!!!

Keep on soulin'

Alan.

Social source share

Hi Mark, always interested in this subject, lot of valid points there mate. Speaking as a bloke who's had a go at most things on this scene - apart from being a big time DJ etc and never having paid much for records!!!!

Keep on soulin' 

Alan.

link

Yeh Alan but it was blokes like you that got me interested in the music and the scene in the first place, when i was a 16 year old dancer at Yate, Wigan etc. i used to look up to you old fellows...lol and you could always set the dance floor on fire when we did those gigs in Reading all those years ago and i bet you could still give one or two of a us a run for our money now.........respect.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Yeh Alan but it was blokes like you that got me interested in the music and the scene in the first place, when i was a 16 year old dancer at Yate, Wigan etc. i used to look up to you old fellows...lol and you could always set the dance floor on fire when we did those gigs in Reading all those years ago and i bet you could still give one or two of a us a run for our money now.........respect.

Mark Bicknell.

link

Mark, thanks for the kind words - apart from the "old"!!! Yes, happy days mate, will be at Stoke next Sat with couple of the old Newbury boys that I used to look up to, zimmer frames permitting! We've been having the discussion often lately about the small number of "young" people joining the scene now. Certainly dont see any down this way getting into it at 15 or 16, like you mention. Maybe not the same up North?

Alan.

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

:D A TOPIC FOR ALL WE,VE JUST HAD A GREAT NIGHT AT A LOCAL DO WITH SOME LOCAL DJS WITH SOME AWESOME TUNE,S ON ORIGINAL VINYL WHICH IS NICE

BUT WHY ? DO NONE OF THESE FEATURE IN A WEEKENDER 2MINS FROM WHERE WE ALL LIVE !!!!!!!! :shhh:   :shhh:   :shhh:   :D

link

Yep ,It was a good night ,prefer the small "local" nights myself .I get a real buzz from owning original vinyl and feel privilaged to to be able to play it out regularly round the local venues

IMHO the weekender wasn't aimed at locals and as such didn't include the obvious talents of Blackpool's top DJ / collector Ged Parker :shhh:

Steve McWilliams

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

link

It doesn't really bother me if someone wants to have a go at DJing with a box of pressings in the back room of the Local Sheepshaggers Arms , but what does bother me is some of the biggest names on the scene playing Boots / CDs and raking in big bucks while the're at it :shhh:

Steve Mc

Social source share

It doesn't really bother me if someone wants to have a go at DJing with a box of pressings in the back room of the Local Sheepshaggers Arms , but what does bother me is some of the biggest names on the scene playing Boots / CDs and raking in big bucks while the're at it  :thumbsup:

Steve Mc

link

Name names then only out of interest you understand :(

Ted M

Social source share

No wonder young kids are not comming on to the scene, afraid northern soul is well dated to the younger generation. What young kid wants to sit with a bunch of middle aged men and women and watch them get up to line dance from time to time? Northern soul is a scene run by a cartell, you got the dollars and your good at crawling up peoples arses you just might get somewhere. party time man or that f..... ace spectrum track must get played at every little venue going because some big shot played it once and the sheep scrambled for it convincing themselves they are quality tunes. On that note i agree with mr bicknel, some real quality guys out there with a good ear for soul and taste refreshing and different from the norm or should i say cartell. Just sad no one gets to hear them!!! to many want to be djs as well that follow the norm look at me i paid three hundred for this what a tune when in actual fact its total shite, runs a soul night so he can invite his mates to dj who come along with there box of total shite because his mate bought and paid 300 for his shite, i got my shite for 200 so i will play it again to let you know i have paid less than you did for the same shite. Meanwhile the punters leave at end of the night and say to there mates that soul night was total shite. Whats that tune mate? nine out ten times the answer goes like this!! oh thats such and such, COST ME??????? rant over enough said!!! A scene run on snobbery!!!

Social source share

No wonder young kids are not comming on to the scene, afraid northern soul is well dated to the younger generation. What young kid wants to sit with a bunch of middle aged men and women and watch them get up to line dance from time to time? Northern soul is a scene run by a cartell, you got the dollars and your good at crawling up peoples arses you just might get somewhere. party time man or that f..... ace spectrum track must get played at every little venue going because some big shot played it once and the sheep scrambled for it convincing themselves they are quality tunes. On that note i agree with mr bicknel, some real quality guys out there with a good ear for soul and taste refreshing and different from the norm or should i say cartell. Just sad no one gets to hear them!!! to many want to be djs as well that follow the norm look at me i paid three hundred for this what a tune when in actual fact its total shite, runs a soul night so he can invite his mates to dj who come along with there box of total shite because his mate bought and paid 300 for his shite, i got my shite for 200 so i will play it again to let you know i have paid less than you did for the same shite. Meanwhile the punters leave at end of the night and say to there mates that soul night was total shite.  Whats that tune mate? nine out ten times the answer goes like this!! oh thats such and such, COST ME??????? rant over enough said!!! A scene run on snobbery!!!

link

Some valid points IMO but a bit of a scary post :thumbsup:

When you've calmed down a bit, tell us who's in the cartel :(

Social source share

No wonder young kids are not comming on to the scene, afraid northern soul is well dated to the younger generation. What young kid wants to sit with a bunch of middle aged men and women and watch them get up to line dance from time to time? Northern soul is a scene run by a cartell, you got the dollars and your good at crawling up peoples arses you just might get somewhere. party time man or that f..... ace spectrum track must get played at every little venue going because some big shot played it once and the sheep scrambled for it convincing themselves they are quality tunes. On that note i agree with mr bicknel, some real quality guys out there with a good ear for soul and taste refreshing and different from the norm or should i say cartell. Just sad no one gets to hear them!!! to many want to be djs as well that follow the norm look at me i paid three hundred for this what a tune when in actual fact its total shite, runs a soul night so he can invite his mates to dj who come along with there box of total shite because his mate bought and paid 300 for his shite, i got my shite for 200 so i will play it again to let you know i have paid less than you did for the same shite. Meanwhile the punters leave at end of the night and say to there mates that soul night was total shite.  Whats that tune mate? nine out ten times the answer goes like this!! oh thats such and such, COST ME??????? rant over enough said!!! A scene run on snobbery!!!

link

GREAT POST/RANT MATE, HONEST & TO THE POINT.

ALAN.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

HOPE THATS NOT A DIG,SALWICK IS GOIN REALLY WELL AT THE MO AND STRANGELY ENOUGH THERE,S PROBABLY ONLY PRESSINS PLAYED BY THEM DOIN THE WARM UPS AND SEEIN AS THERE IS ONLY A FEW IN AT THAT TIME I CANT SEE THE PROB  :)

link

Geoff we all had a good time last month can't make this month but we will be

making the long trip up from the midlands in oct whistling.gif

Social source share

It doesn't really bother me if someone wants to have a go at DJing with a box of pressings in the back room of the Local Sheepshaggers Arms , but what does bother me is some of the biggest names on the scene playing Boots / CDs and raking in big bucks while the're at it  whistling.gif

Steve Mc

link

===========

here here steve

couldnt agree more

Social source share

BUT WHY ? DO NONE OF THESE FEATURE IN A WEEKENDER 2MINS FROM WHERE WE ALL LIVE !!!!!!!! :shades:   :shades:   :P   :shhh:

link

Geoff,

I'm gonna be careful how I word this following my post yesterday. I think that Kev has guys he knows / trusts DJing for him as we do at the Winter Gardens and this includes you of course. Kev has added some new names over the last couple of years and Butch for example is a great addition to his stable. I, just like any other collector come DJ love playing, at big events but as you know its as much about relationships as anything else and you have to want to work at these relationships. Some would call it 'crawling' or worse I don't see it as that it is 'networking' which most businessmen do all the time. In fact I do it all the time at work so see my time on the scene as time away from the constant work on building relationships. I think that Kev could do worse than speak to local people even if he doesn't book them I know the fuss that was made when a new venue was launched in Stoke, Kev's long term territory, but now he has two weekenders in our area and hasn't looked for the support he'd get if he wanted it. He did book Roly for the forth room at the Cala Gran about four years ago I seem to remember.

I'm convinced that there were more people out at soul do's around Blackpool on Saturday night than would have been the case had the Norbreck not been on there's no doubt about that. I am also convinced that the turnout at Lytham was higher than it would have been if the Norbreck hadn't been on strange but I think the publicity for the Norbreck whetted peoples apetite but some of them chose to go to Lytham Academy. So as I said in my post the clash undoubtedly did us some good.

As for the tunes as you and I both know Sue books the DJs at Lytham and Steve and I concentrate on original vinyl but guests play what they want. This is a small do we all donate our time to in order to raise some small amount of cash for cancer relief we don't major on that nor do we major on 'Original Vinyl' it just happens that that's the way me and Steve DJ. In fact I did stop a couple of tunes being played on boots / re issues call them what you will because I had the originals in my box and I think thats fair enough.

I think both you and I have the same approach I just think if people are interested in finding DJ's with the approach and attitude we adopt they can. If they aren't well theres not much we can do about it except get working on those relationships which for me is a bit too much like work.

See you at Salwick next week you still owe me a fiver BTW :yes:

Ged

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!