Reviews on Soul source ...weekend-a new ploy

Another busy weekend on the soul source event guide

As latest review posted up were 30 years old! :) have hit on a new ploy...

will post up what I actually heard how events went!

Idea being after after one day of reading this version of going ons people will have a need to post up their occurances to prevent me posting more up.......

here we go

As said a lot of event's going on this weekend, of course with the amount and spread of events this look back will never be 100% and will only feature, what heard, what told, what was denied, what visited, what rumoured and so on. If there and know better post up!

Friday -

Peterborough -Know a few soul source reg posters were out and about, 30 year annivesary event in Peterborough was one meeting place, heard was a bit of a oldies fest as you can imagine by the title. Good one?

Bury - bumped into Neil J on Saturday and think he said was a good one, think Mick H was one of the guests, never been to Bury yet, so not too sure on format of main room though have heard good things about the second room

Wilton Niter - This was original plan but outside events meant friday night was a right off as far as soul was concerned. Anyone like to give a view of how this long running event si going please post

Saturday

Broughton Silverwings - Soul Sam and Brian Ellis monthly event was on, forgot to ask those who went how this was so no report as yet

Wolverhampton Soul Nite

First of New Century event in Wolverhampton, had word that was a resounding success as in packed, floor full from 10 onwards and more. Looks like this one is here to stay. been told photos to follow

Llandudno Niter

Like the boy who lives next to the school always being late, this event was on 500m from where live and still didnt manage to get their till 230am, as got attacked my sleep fiend. In past always a bit wary about writing views on local events, as may see it from a different perspective. But nowadays its a case of just do own thing so here you go.

...... got carried away with keyboard so put effot into review section

read review here, as always fully detailed in depth anaylisis of last nite going ons :)

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/wordpress/index.php?p=187

Goldbourne Nighter

Previous niters here are a good example to me of just what effect the current amount of events can have, 6 months ago this was a regualr visit for me, liked the venue and had a great dj policy and crowd were up for good stuff. 6 months on and purely due to other events being on and the odd other commentment, haven't been there, with it clashing every other month with lifeline and as happened last month and other months clashing with other even more events, have heard in these busy months Dean has had to cancel niter.

This time unfortunately it clashed with Llandudno, hopefully this had no effect on numbers and it turned out a good night, say hopefully as haven't had word how it went, let us know

Odds and Sods

Was told the Modern room at forthcoming Wigan Pier Event saturday has been cancelled - anyone got line up main room can pass on

Sad to hear that Neil J had a record pinched at niter this weekend, he's posted about it in forum, know sometimes in past stuff like this is found out to be a mistake, hopefully that be case, if not, dont know ins and outs but theres no place for stuff like this and hopefully person responsible will get his just deserts

think thats it, as said idea being to spread word on what went on at weekend, please bear in mind that a lot of stuff is from out and about so if any error its unintenional let us know

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Friday -

Peterborough -Know a few soul source reg posters were out and about, 30 year annivesary event in Peterborough was one meeting place, heard was a bit of a oldies fest as you can imagine by the title. Good one?

I went to the Wirrina reunion night at Peterborough, and yes it was an oldies fest but that was obviously to be expected.

Lots of faces there I didn't recognise and many faces I expected to see not in attendance for some reason.

Music played ....... well several things I personally havent heard for years but a lot of the same old as well and I think they did play some stuff that I didn't think got played at the Wirrina.

It was very hot in there and I got took completely out on the dance floor by a drunk, first time in 25 odd years that I have ended up on my bum on the dance floor, good job Nick had left by then LOL

Guest Chris Waterman

I would just like to post a massive thank you to all the people who turned out to our new event in Wolverhampton on Saturday, we had a superb turn out 574 and with people traveling from Sheffield,Newbury,Wigan,Swindon and Hertfordshire and to the DJ's who did the business John Pugh, Pep,Mark Freeman and Dave Rimmer and a special thanks to Little Scotty for working so hard spreading the word and last but by no means least The Legend that is Blue Max this guy is a true gentleman.

I don't think it would be correct for me to post a reveiw but one highlight of the night was seeing a member of the West Midlands Police standing in the doorway of the Hall watching a packed floor and there he was in full uniform rocking away to the music, it turned out he went to the Catacombs and just nipped in for a look.

So thanks again

and will keep you posted on future dates at The Wulfrun

Cheers

Chris Waterman

re the Peterborough night: agree with Karen about the music played (Hi Karen - didn't see you get put on your bum).

Oldies always seem to be the main order in Peterborough, but it was nice to hear some that are not played too often!

I also agree they went off script a bit to keep the floor full and bottled out of playing one or two of the more "unusal" sounds from the Wirrina of 76ish, but the atmosphere was great, as it mostly is at that venue, and a nice few quid raised for local charities to boot.

Went to Nick's event at Horncastle on Saturday and had another good night.

This event deserves more consistent support. It's a nice venue with a VERY friendly crowd and between them the DJ's cover a good range of NS, particularly Rupert whose collection would not be out of place at some more well established events...particularly in a modern room.

Nick pointed out to me Pixie Mick and Nick-Nick, a real blast from the past for anyone who remembers the breathtaking dancing at Cleethorpes Pier in the 70s. Like the rest of us, they are a little less athletic these days (!), but still enjoying the scene!

Roll on next weekend:-))

It was very hot in there and I got took completely out on the dance floor by a drunk, first time in 25 odd years that I have ended up on my bum on the dance floor, good job Nick had left by then LOL

That will teach me for leaving early won't it, I don't suppose Gill got it on camera did she ?? !!??

NickG

That will teach me for leaving early won't it, I don't suppose Gill got it on camera did she ?? !!??

NickG

Luckily for me I don't think there is any photographic evidence of the incident, in the wrong hands i.e. Janine or JoT I could suffer for months LOL

thanks to all for passing on "weekend views" on site so far

myself and am sure others do find it interesting hearing just what went on especially when the event is featured on the web, so thanks for all the views

if after knocking out a view but need reminding just where you were, :)

heres a list of what was on via the event guide

Soulbeat Presents PAVILIONS

FLOORSHAKERS LONDON

BURY TOWN HALL 2 ROOM SOUL NIGHT

3rd RIMINI SOUL WEEKENDER

Treatment Launch Party - Brighton

The Wilton All-Nighter West Yorkshire

Soul @ The Risboro

Whitley Bay Soul Club

Whitley Bay Soul Club

Sleepless nights Dublin

STATION SOUL

cool off last ever leicester event

Soul@Salwick

SOUL TRAIN @ THE RAILWAY Bangor

Burnley soul night

Llandudno Niter

3rd RIMINI SOUL WEEKENDER

OBSESSION WIGAN OLDIES NIGHT ,

Wolverhampton Soul Night

1st s.m.a.r.t. anniversary

Broughton Wings Club - nr chester

SOUL HEAVEN all-niter,,GOLBORNE,,

3 fantastic years of Soul Underground

pilsley soul

Horncastle Northern Nights

ROCK'N'ROLLSOUL SUMMER SPECIAL

Guest Brian Ellis

Broughton saw the return of Scotland's Kenny Burell who played a superb (and naturally very expensive!) set.

We were a little concerned that this might be a quiet night given that it was in the middle of July (holiday season) and the Llandudno all nighter was just 30 miles up the coast from us. We were really pleased that we had yet another full house, with little room on the dancefloor at any time.

Chico started things off nicely with a mixed set of 60s and more modern sounds, before Kenny revved up the night with some superb vinyl masterpieces. Missing from his set was his Frank Wilson, but Sam played it later ('this is for Kenny - just a car boot copy though'!!).

My spot was perhaps a little more 60s orientated than usual, but the crowd seemed to like it; and Sam concluded the night with a range from the rarest of the rare through to some great memory jerkers including Sam and Dave's 'Soothe Me' which saw the dancefloor heave.

An excellent night with a number of new faces (maybe on their way to Llandudno? - thanks for dropping by) adding to the usual very friendly Broughton atmosphere.

Next month (21 August) we have Arthur Fenn, Mark Speakman, Sam and me. Hope to see you there.

Brian

We were a little concerned that this might be a quiet night given that it was in the middle of July (holiday season) and the Llandudno all nighter was just 30 miles up the coast from us.  We were really pleased that we had yet another full house, with little room on the dancefloor at any time.

It seems that everywhere was busy this weekend, I know Bury and Briggy were too, like Brian says July is holiday season and there were a lot of events on but doesn't look like anyone suffered.Strange that in June things were somewhat quieter.