Bettye LaVette

Below are just a few of the upcoming events where Bettye LaVette will be appearing.

7/27/2004 Nice Jazz Festival Nice FRANCE

7/31/2004 Rauma Blues Festival Rauma FINLAND

8/26/2004 Limestone City Blues Festival Kingston ONT CANADA

post-3-1090266179_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember seeing this fine soul singer in the 80s at the 100 Club and when she sang 'Let me down easy' with such passion it made you cry.

Then one of her breasts fell out of her top, as you know that Betty is such a pro' at what she does, she just popped it back in and carried on as if nothing has happened - what a fantastic night we had.

Never miss a chance to see her in concert, you may live to regret it

With you there John. She played th Neighbourhood do in Blackpool a while ago. A 5 min epic version of it. Tears welling up. I walked out and people were saying how bad she was. I couldn't understand it at all.

A friend has just seen her play NY. She's not a soulie, but she was knocked for 6.

With you there John. She played th Neighbourhood do in Blackpool a while ago. A 5 min epic version of it. Tears welling up. I walked out and people were saying how bad she was. I couldn't understand it at all.

A case of Northern Fans (of the Oldie Variety) rather than Soul Fans....

Some of her stuff will have been a little too deep and a little to Southern for thier tastes.....

Personally I think she is the dogs doodads..... seen her thrice now and will always make the effort to see her whenever she touches down on these shores.....

Still require a couple of her 45s to complete my collection.... her duet with hank ballard and a Soul Tamborine/Your turn to cry.....

WOOF!

The Hank Ballard duet is on NEARER TO YOU CD and "Soul Tamborine" and "Your Turn to Cry" are on her SOUVENIRS CD. If you need the 45s on those, you can probably do a Google Search and come up with them.

BTW, have you heard Bettye LaVette singing Van Morrison's "Real Real Gone" which is on the VANTHOLOGY CD? She's the only female on the record and she takes this ordinary song and sings it in her ferocious '70s voice. She steals the CD. Although I must admit there are other gems included.

Someone mentioned that LaVette was a "southern soul" singer. Actually, unlike her contemporaries - Aretha Franklin and Patti LaBelle (all three Atlantic Records alumni) - Bettye wasn't brought up in a black Baptist church. She was bred on basic blues and the men who sang it.

Her background was Detroit and all the people we know who became famous were either friends or acquaintances of hers: Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Flo Ballard, Aretha, Smokey, David Ruffin, Martha Reeves, etc. LaVette was actually the first one from that "hood" to have a national hit record ("My Man - He's A Lovin' Man). That was released before the Marvelette's "Please Mr. Postman." Bettye was only 16 when she signed with Atlantic and about 19 when she went on tour with the Godfather, Mr. James Brown.

Last months Record collector magazine did a 2 page feature & discography of Betty Lavette from her beginnings up to the present day. In the same issue there was a fascinating interview with Ian Levine, some on the early days of northern soul and of his ground breaking finds in USA as a teenager while on holiday with his parents in the late 60s ,the stuff dreams are made of and send a shiver down your spine.Essential reading.

On a personal note for me Betty Lavettes finest moment is Hey Love on Karen 1545.

Craig.

"Hey Love." Bettye LaVette told the audience at Columbia University during her concert there, that "Stevie Wonder wrote 'Hey Love' especially for me. It was my mother's favorite and I always try to include it in my shows."

Bettye also has decided that in her last name, the "V" will be capitalized. It looks stronger than "Lavette." She's correct, "LaVette" is is more impressive, just as Patti Labelle is weaker than Patti LaBelle!