• Replies 31
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Kolla

I've got the clear vinyl version on inferno - you can have it for 50p. No, i haven't really - what a disgusting thought.

I'm not sure about the £50 ... A sassy version went on eBay three months for a £160 ... although as we'd said repeatedly on here, it's no indication of current value.

post-2-1090389932_thumb.jpg

Social source share

£50 maybe a few years ago, not anymore. The one with "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" on the flip is supposed to be rarer and is more sought after and therefore more pricey than the other Sassy release.

Social source share

there were literally hundreds around in 76/77 so £ 50 is probably fair,then again its who wants to sell it,I gave mine away in 77 as it was not hard to get another one.

can anybody not find the printing records from these plants for susposedly rare records then it will be a little clearer, like anything that is made in a plant,what was the print run ?

if the susposed minimum a small plant would do for a bog standard plain label from kids off the street with a 100 dollars was 300 or 500 copies,what about a bona fide record label that went to the trouble of getting artwork done ,distribution rights,promotional people ,payola, etc etc, I would guess 20,000 or 25,000 copies would not be far from the mark minimum so not rare AT ALL and not worth the money ( on Sassy ).

Ok you here stories about sale or return to the music stores and they went back to the distributors who threw them out as they couldnt find room to store them,all good stories but not applicable to everything, a big place the states.

think about it logically...................then again,collecting soul records and paying silly money......wheres the logic in that ?????

Social source share

I've got the clear vinyl version on inferno - you can have it for 50p.  No, i haven't really - what a disgusting thought.

Until someone sells me a Sassy copy for £50, I'll have to make do with my 50p copy (boo hoo, sob sob, general sounds of grown man crying). :-(

Social source share

Guest micksmith

IAN LEVINE-WANTS 'EM CHEAP EVER SINCE I'VE KNOWN HIM-A LONG TIME-BUT WHEN HE SOLD UP DIFFERENT KETTLE OF FISH-HE WANTED TOPS PLUS.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

got a white demo on sassy, yours for £450!!, what a bargain !!!, how many demos do you see these days ? exactly!!

Back in its day there must have been 25000 copys around, but in 2004 how many are left ?, that play, have a label you can read and look like a piece of vinyl you would want in your box ?, not that many hence the price it fetches. i have lots of copys of Eddie Foster- i never knew, on original IN records but most don,t play or have ripped labels, but could still sell them for £100 each !!! all day. the silly world we live in dictates.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I DON'T THINK THERE WERE 25000 COPYS OF FRANK BEVERLY AROUND IN IT'S HEYDAY-MORE LIKE 1000 MOST FROM NEIL RUSHTON. EDDIE FOSTER- YOU MAY HAVE LOTS(HOW MANY IS LOTS?) BUT HOW MANY ARE ORIGINALS????????????????

Social source share

ALL are originals my friend, on the nice blue IN label and i have around 12/15 copys in my collection !, why i don,t know!! it,s one of those sad traits that causes my body to spend every spare(and not so spare) penny on vinyl!!!. Alas none are for sale though,well not yet anyway.

i can remember seeing boxes of Frank Beverley 45,s in the US in the early 80,s but cannot remember where!!!, all mint unplayed copys and i let them sit there to fly to calgary to meet some mates!!!

Social source share

brilliant taste in music however

i miss his one off ness

Sure- like The Four Vandals and Venicia Wilson!

Seriously though, does anyone know the difference in value between the TWO Sassy issues? They each have different B-sides:

1) "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)"

2) "This is Just a B-side"

Then again, wasn't "If That's What You Wanted" the B-side to "Love..."?

Gene

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Regardless of the history behind it (and we really don't want to drag all that up again) i actually think that the two 4 Vandalls records are very worthy slabs of Northern yes they are tailor made and yes you can detect levineisms in retrospect but other tailored sounds have become acceptable. Didn't the article Mike posted up about Carol Anderson's Sad Girl say that it was done specifically for our market??

John

Social source share

You're right Johnny - quite an odd line-up!! One Rick Astley lookalike, and a backing vocalist with short dreadlocks!!

Seen Venicia Wilson yet? Caught sight of her on one of the DVDs; gorgeous-looking blonde, looks rather like a student in her early-20s!!

Calm down Gene; you're a married man!!! OK, pass the bromide!

Gene

Social source share

Have to agree that despite it's dubious origins and the 'mystique' built up around it I do like the 4 Vandals 'Town'. It's just a shame that it had to be surrounded by lies in order to get it played rather than have the music speak for itself. I think ian would have gained a lot more respect if he'd only be honest.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Have to agree that despite it's dubious origins and the 'mystique' built up around it I do like the 4 Vandals 'Town'. It's just a shame that it had to be surrounded by lies in order to get it played rather than have the music speak for itself. I think ian would have gained a lot more respect if he'd only be honest.

My thoughts exactly Roy ;o)) Probably one of his better efforts but even before the 4 Vandalls Ian had succesfully alienated large sections of the scene with his pleasant bedside manner so there would always have been resistance but alongside Gayle Adams and the Futures i know which i prefer.

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I feel very sorry for the collectors and DJs who had to pay near four-figure prices for the record.

Gene

Yeah i know, a mate of mine paid a grand for one ;oO

JoT

Social source share

Ooooh JOT you've got me 'Cry-y-y-ing over you!' with your barbed tongue, good job I can take it and have a 'pretty woman' to support and love me when these nasty comments are made by bigger boys than me :-)))

I do agree with you though that Mr Levine has done ASTOUNDINGLY well at turning, well to be honest, almost 99% of the scene against him so it would have been an uphill battle for him - however given some of the 'cosher' dirge he was forcing on us I still feel that the 4 Vandals stood up well against these. The fact that he felt the need to lie and then charge collectors etc huge amounts just so that he could massage his ego is just one of the reasons why the scene is better off without him. Pity, as it could all have been so different, but as they say ' you cant teach an old dog new tricks' etc etc etc.....now, about the Roy comments

:-P

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd love to know just how many copies were sold at horrendous figures. Despicable really.....

Gene

Not too many i think, certainly Ginger famously paid a lot for it and had a swing for Ian because of it and then i know my mate paid lots but don't really know of any others at the time. The thing was non of them came directly from Ian but via third parties and allegedly from the states. At the time i can only think of Ian, Ginger, Frenchie and Phil Dick having copies i may have missed the odd one off but there weren't many which is why they were prepared to pay big bucks.

To be honest i don't really think it was about the money as i can't really see how Ian would have profitted, more the kudos of having re-discovered a record that he allegedly had back at the Mecca but sat on and broke ;o)) (Or something, allegedly)

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Ooooh JOT you've got me 'Cry-y-y-ing over you!' with your barbed tongue, good job I can take it and have a 'pretty woman' to support and love me when these nasty comments are made by bigger boys than me :-)))

I do agree with you though that Mr Levine has done ASTOUNDINGLY well at turning, well to be honest, almost 99% of the scene against him so it would have been an uphill battle for him - however given some of the 'cosher' dirge he was forcing on us I still feel that the 4 Vandals  stood up well against these. The fact that he felt the need to lie and then charge collectors etc huge amounts just so that he could massage his ego is just one of the reasons why the scene is better off without him. Pity, as it could all have been so different, but as they say ' you cant teach an old dog new tricks' etc etc etc.....now, about the Roy comments

:-P

Sorry Neil it's just that sometimes i can't resist it's like i have little devil's in my fingers ;o))))

John

BTW did you get your copies of the new Mag ok???? LOL You should have seen my bosses face when i put them in the post tray he thought i was trying to post a brick ;o))))

Social source share

To be honest i don't really think it was about the money as i can't really see how Ian would have profitted, more the kudos of having re-discovered a record that he allegedly had back at the Mecca but sat on and broke

Well, that confirms that it was a 60s/70s record, if Ian "broke" the sound at the Mecca!!!

A bit like the term of someone like Ian Botham "breaking his duck" - what did he do; sit on it in the bath? ;-)

Social source share

JOT - yes, got the mags and many thanks. However as there is no photo of me I of course threw a DIVAish strop and flung them around the room!!! My friend Ian is well chuffed as he's the main picture in the article, he is now banned from the Plinston! Many thanks mate and feedbacks been good so 'well done me!' :-)

I will be mailing you the latest Trading Cards (Sam's one is my best yet IMHO) for your amusement and of course a CD of Roy's greatest hits.

Laters

TheBigO

(and you could have said Otis you swine!!! By the way saw you and Alison on the LA DVD, I take it she had to be very very very drunk to marry your good self??? LOL)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

TheBigO

(and you could have said Otis you swine!!! By the way saw you and Alison on the LA DVD, I take it she had to be very very very drunk to marry your good self??? LOL)

Oh yes she was and so far i have managed to keep her sozzled just enough to maintain the deception ;o)))

John

I must say that the DVD was very cringeworthy for me personally ;o/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!