100 Ways To Get Out Of A Booking, No 1

Guest Chris Waterman

Guest Chris Waterman

This afternoon I have been putting the finishing touches to a promotion we have booked for Manchester later in the year, and as normal I contact all the DJ's booked before I order the flyers. So only one more call to make and I have been leaving messages for over a week and still no reply, finally I get through

" Hi ***** its Chris here from NCS Manchester just calling to confirm the booking for Sept 25th you still ok to do it"? ( TV on in the background )

"Its not ***** its his son **** I'll let him know you called" now I have spoken to this guy many many times and he has a very distinctive voice and he had been following me around venues asking me to book him, so to say I nearly fell of my chair would be an under statement.

"Look ***** I know its you and not your son its plain you've been GOT AT so no problem"

Now when I put the phone down in disbelief after a couple of mins that little thread of doubt started to creep in, was I mistaken?

So I called his mobile it answers but all I can hear is the same TV in the background and then the call is cleared, so now my shock turns to anger.

I call the mobile again not wanting it to answer so I can leave a message, it did'nt so I did " Hi again I don't have a problem you not doing the CIS and I have now put 2 and 2 together and can guess that you have taken the booking for another venue on the same night but I just wish you would be straight with me"

Now my anger turns to laughter and within a couple of mins my moblie rings, its the number I have just left a message on.

No Hi, intro or TV noise! just "I am out in ****** and my son says you have called" we go through the whole "I know it was you and not your son" and all he did was walk outside to call me back so I now I can't stop laughing and have to end the call.

Now this has brightened my day up no end and even as I write this I can not stop laughing.

This post is not a pop at the DJ just the funny things we do and say!

So that was No1 got anymore ?

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Ring ring "hello"

Hi it's ***** I was on my way home and my dog ate my records so i'm going to have to cancel sorry......maybe another time in a few weeks when i have bought them all back ;o)

That's true that it ;O)))))))))

JoT

Social source share

What do you mean by "I know you were got at". Are people really going round saying "If you DJ at his venue you won't get a spot here or there etc"? If that's the case and someone can be that easily disuaded then f**k them, you're better off having a DJ who wants to be there. Personally, when I take a booking I stick by it, no matter how far I have to travel and how much it costs me to get there. Sometimes the cost of flying from Dublin isn't covered by payment by the promoter but what the hell.

By the way, I can't DJ on saturday night cos I broke my arm skydiving in the Andes. The doctor reckons it'll be okay for me to DJ at the bigger do on Sunday though, so all's well!

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi Paulie,

I don't really want to name and shame, and the post was meant to show in a light hearted way the things we do and say to get out of certain situ's.

But you have asked the question so it would be rude not to answer.

A Big Fat YES.

I have had DJ's tell me to my face " I can play anywhere else in the country but not for you "

All I can tell you Paulie is my friends keep telling me to "Take the higher ground"

I have taken the higher ground that many times I now have a constant nose bleed!

Social source share

Shame that happens, too much politics. What ever happened to playing your records and making people dance? I'd DJ in your bathroom! (well not really but you know what I mean).

I know your name is Chris but after that I haven't got a clue who you are so have no preconceptions. I also wouldn't be told by anybody that if I DJd somewhere then "you won't work in this town again". That's crap and to be honest, I'd rather not DJ again anywhere than give in to that. I know some people from Manchester so we may have met. I was a good friend of the late and much missed John (aka Ross) Roche and DJd at the Greatstone a couple of times. Maybe you were there?

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi Paulie

No mate I was not there but maybe you were at Sleepless Nights Dublin Dec last year?

Cheers

Chris W

Social source share

Yeah, I was there but so was another 120 people. Can't recall having met you though (copious amounts of alcohol can do that).

You coming over for the Weekender next month?

Social source share

Just twigged who you are Chris. I haven't met you but Carl Willingham speaks highly of you and that's good enough for me buddy.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Paulie,

I would love to but got the Niter in Manchester and then a Bank Holiday soul night special booked in Southport but I am going to try and get someone to cover for me, got to pull out all the stops as it is Carl's farewell gig in Ireland

Cheers

Chris w

Social source share

I Don't but sod it. Probably not worth having him anyway.

But as we don't know who they are talking about, we don't know do we?

Social source share

Guest Kolla

This post is not a pop at the DJ just the funny things we do and say!    So that was No1 got anymore ?

Saving this for when I'm ever asked to DJ (PMSL!)

"Al is going to be on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and I'm his phone a friend and you know what these shows are like, they could ring at any time!!"

Oh... and as Chris started this topic for LIGHT-HEARTED reasons, can you grumpy ole geezers find a happy place please. wink.gif

Social source share

Yes Kolla, I am indeed a grumpy old? (35) geezer. Should have kept it light hearted. Back off to the Andes this weekend....maybe I'll break the other arm and won't be able to type such grumpiness! Thanks for the acronyms BTW, had to look the PMSL one up.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Excuse I was once given when I was a students ENTS officer was "I've accidentally sliced the top of my finger off with a Stanley knife." But this only works i guess a couple of days before the event.

BTW - Paul - I didn't mean you, pal... I was referring to those two fabulous english DJs that posted up v brief replies.... :)

Social source share

QUOTE "Hi Paulie

No mate I was not there but maybe you were at Sleepless Nights Dublin Dec last year?

Cheers

Chris W

Yeah, I was there but so was another 120 people. Can't recall having met you though (copious amounts of alcohol can do that)."

Hey Chris - I was there! I remember meeting ya! (shame on you paul :) ). yeah chris - you had nice shoes. I only joined the forum a few days back and have been saddened to see all the hassle you seem to be getting. Maybe you are having a really bad week. I'm hoping to make it to Manchester in September & I'm really excited about prospects of making it to your club, after wanting to get there for months now. Please dont let a few stupid idiots get to you.

wendy

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

yeah chris - you had nice shoes.

Hi Wendy,

Well its nice to be remembered, if only for my shoes!!!!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

I have just had two more:

Mark Bicknell has been in touch with " I can't make next week as I took Luke swimming and I now have a verruca and can't get my shoe on"

and Mick H has left a message that he has a gumboil!

Nice one lads

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!