Little Mary Staten

Just bought this off Gary Cape, thing is i'm thinking it is a modern soul dancer, but i'm not certain, i saw that J Trouble has it on a playlist at his deepfunk site.

i am sure i have heard it out and about (the name stuck....i think) anyhow i haven't got it through the door yet but am eager and anticipating something special......J Trouble is it what i am hoping for.......

(God awful post, apologies.....had a few beers this dinner....relatives around..... :) .....)

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just bought this off Gary Cape, thing is i'm thinking it is a modern soul dancer, but i'm not certain, i saw that J Trouble has it on a playlist at his deepfunk site.

i am sure i have heard it out and about (the name stuck....i think) anyhow i haven't got it through the door yet but am eager and anticipating something special......J Trouble is it what i am hoping for.......

(God awful post, apologies.....had a few beers this dinner....relatives around..... :) .....)

Not a modern soul dancer in the slightest, more a mid tempo, gritty funky soul thing...hard to categorise...'pained' would be one description

JBrew

www.witchsbrew.co.uk

Social source share

Cheers Kooga, thing is i heard and danced to the damned thing, (well if it's what i am thinking of, you know the deal....a little off ones head and hearing a quality sound and putting 2 & 2 together....ending up with 11)

i am certain that the track is brilliant, even if my description is a little left field.

Brett

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think I've heard it played at the Dome a couple of times. I think Ian and I have played it once each on the deepfunk radio shows in the past year.

noice gritty funky soul record.

Social source share

Might be throwing a spanner in the works here, but I distinctly remember someone telling me this girl was Mary Love. Either one of my deep soul buddies, or one of the experts on Californian Northern, but either way it was someone whose knowledge I really respected.

On aural evidence I think it could be her. Remember that the Mary Love persona that she exhibited on her Modern sides was a long way off her truly gritty gospel singing of latter years. On the Modern sides her edges are definitely smoothed off for the mock Motown productions (and no, I'm not slagging off those records, they're all classics).

Play Helpless Girl next to say, The Hurt Is Just Beginning on Hill or Josie, and I think there's a marked similarity vocally. She wouldn't be the first fairly big name artist to moonlight on a tiny independent label under an assumed name, whether she knew about it or not.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!