Memory Man

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Got another tune going round my head. And I cant remember what its called or who by.

Lyrics are something like:

Time can change the colours of the trees

time can change the stars up above,

But look how time has changed our love.

Bet its a real easy one, but Its driving me mad trying to remember who.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Cheers Mark.

It has been going round. Dont know why. I cant have heard it in ages, but something triggered my memory. I take it it is a stafford tune then. They do tend to pop into my head for no apparent reason at very odd times.

And now I am going to ask the obvious.

Rough value? Is it common/rare??

Thanks again.

Social source share

Has to be a couple pf hundred quid now perhaps more, but does not come up for sale that often, so it's price tag i feel does not reflect how hard to find this one is, i'm sure the dealers will give you a better idea on the price but as i say i dont think you would get a lot of change out of £300.00 with the current high prices situation but worth every penny.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Well Mikey, here's the story:

I bought this as an unknown from Max Rees in June 1986, for the princely sum of £6. A good opportunity to play it was my guest spot at the 100 Club in November that year, which I did. As I played it, one of the top DJs at the time (no names mentioned) rushed to the deck and said "this is f***ing brilliant!! What the hell is it?". Didn't need to ask really; looking at the turntable was enough! He liked it that much, he asked me to play it again as the last record of my spot.

The next thing I know, his mate (again, no name mentioned) has got hold of a copy, and is plugging it at Stafford!! No thanks to the unsung hero who first played it and gave it attention!!! Now I'm not one to brag about anything, but I do believe in "credit where it's due"!!

Pricewise these days, I haven't a clue...........but it's in JM's Rarest of the Rare page on his website, along with another nice Broadway 45, "Slave Girl" by Johnny Burton (this is on JM's current list at £200).

Gene

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks a loy guys.

Geno, interesting story. I bet you arent the only one to be able to tell this one either.

Certainly would be worth the £200 IMHO. When other records of dubious quality fetch a lot more.

Might have to insert this in my top five wants, with a bullet, as Jimmy Saville used to say.

Social source share

Too right Mikey!!! It's like pissing yourself in a dark suit; you get a lovely, warm feeling, but no one else notices!!!

I bet I'd be recognised if I was the first person to play a Cheeky Girls record on the scene though!! :-) (oops.......just given away the secret to my latest cover up, "Touch My Bum" by The Blue Sharks!!!).

Gene

Social source share

Well Mikey, here's the story:

I bought this as an unknown from Max Rees in June 1986,

Don't no why but was really surprised to see Max's name in conection with this.

Karen

Social source share

Karen,

At the time, Max used to publish a regular sales list, in parallel with running the Howard Mallett Soul Club. The Inverts was one of the unknowns on his sales list at the time. Can also remember gems like "Charade" by the 4 Tracks on Note for £10 (look at the 3-figure sum it commands now)!!!

Gene

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Manship has "Time will change" booked at £350 now, but check out their other release "Look out love" (which shares the same 'b'side) on Tower. Only a cheapie- £40, but a cracking tune, might play it out again!

OOPS! gotta go, me bacon sandwich is setting off the smoke alarm!!!

Social source share

Gene, not another old Howard Mallett stomper are you? I LOVED that club, great atmosphere, great sounds and sadly, like many clubs, underated and unknown to many on todays scene. Can remember picking up loads of what were to become 'Stafford' tunes (B4 the venue was open) from the great Peanuts & the lovely Karen (and where have they gone?)

Social source share

Can also remember gems like "Charade" by the 4 Tracks on Note for £10 (look at the 3-figure sum it commands now)!!!

Gene

I know we can all recount how cheap we bought some things - although I can remember buying the Charades record from the odd-ball section at the end of Manships lists, I couldn't remember how much, bearing in mind we've had a lot of doubles over Lesta under the bridge since the late 1970s.

Anyhow, whilst sorting out a load of old gumf - Echoes, B&Souls, Zines and lists from me mam's garage - my brother reckoned the said exchange for the Four Tracks was 75p. He tells me the total purchase was probably £10.45 inc P&P - for against all those records marked on the list, 4 were ticked - JJ Barnes 'Humdinger' WD, M Lance 'Investigate' PS, M Farrow 'Heart at ease', and the Four Tracks thing.

Weird how a bit of paper he used to line a box for storing clutter has actually framed a piece in time - and strangely it backs up the old adage espoused by Mark Bicknell in the Soul City thead, that it's always been worth remembering to check out those lesser known things whilst chasing the more sought after stuff.

i'll get me anorak now............

Scotty

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!