Ray Charles on BBC last Saturday

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Thought it was an excellnt tribute, and a really good idea to get Jools Holland to introduce it. Jools has to be apart from a very talented musician, a music fan with few peers.

It could have been a bit longer I suppose and lots of the story was glossed over, but unlike so many Americam tributes, there was only a little smultzing, I think Jools was really in awe when interviewing Ray.

For anyone who is interested. I read a biography by Michael Lydon about Ray. It is a real Tome, but goes into all the stories, warts and all. It also gives some good in depth listings of the band members, and members of the Raelets.

I was away when Ray died, and assume most people will have had their say then, but I would just like to add, sadly missed, but always close at hand, thanks to the beauty of vinyl, in my home.

Mikey.

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A great prog I thought and Jools is, IMHO, THE man to present musical shows in this country - By the way, did I mention that Brother Ray sang to my Mum in the White House a few years back after finding out she was a HUGE fan - sadly I wasn't over that side of the pond at the time but it didn't stop her from calling me and letting me hear him singing to her - GUTTED!!! A true top man and a wonderful talented artist - a one-off.

Social source share

Thought it was an excellent tribute but would have liked more clips from the beginning and less of people like Elton John etc. Jools was probably the right person to introduce it though. He knew what he was talking about.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I have it on tape Rowly.

Do you work around Victoria?? I could pop it up to Strutton Ground one lunchtime.

Social source share

Am I alone in finding Jools Holland a smug git? That terrible band of his (Hugh Laurie for christs' sake), those awful album covers. That bleedin' advert for whisky. Pass the sick bag.

I think the worst aspect about it is that far from holding up people like Ray Charles, Al Green, Sam Moore and Bobby Womack as idols, he sees himself as some kind of equal.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yup i'd agree with the smug Tw** theory. A good friend of mine persuaded me to see him live at the Cornwall Collesseum and it was a truely dreadful experience i'd rather have visited the Cornwall Pasty museum ;o))

John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

He he.

I love the diversity of opinions on here.

I have not heard him play, though he sounded very clever on the whisky advert.

I also thought he did and excellent job, and felt if any fault lay anywhere it was with the BEEB, trying to shoehorn the program into 45 minutes on a saturday night, against Casualty. Ok forget that last bit, but surely an interesting programme on Ray Charles, the man and his music, could last a still very entertaining 2 hours. Maybe in time there will be one. He certainly deserves it.

Social source share

Where is it then? Cant any TV channel in Britain get hold of any - there must be loads in the US. Its got to be a lot better than the rubbish that is on now.

Social source share

Guest Rowly

I have it on tape Rowly.

Do you work around Victoria?? I could pop it up to Strutton Ground one lunchtime.

No mate... I'm in Hastings!!

I reckon Jools is Ok..... seen him & his big band a couple of times too.... there are worse ways to spend an evening!

Social source share

Saw the show and really enjoyed it, i like Jools Holland saw his band a while back thought they put on a great show,also saw Brother Ray in Las Vegas a few years back another top class evening.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!