"Soul City Records" label

Dear all,

I am a bit confused about the "Soul City Records" label.

I have thought that it was founded back in the days by David Godin, and that there were about 20 singles released on it.

Now I have stumbled upon the following site: https://www.soulcity.cwc.net/

Are the records which are sold on this site, reissues or has someone relaunched the label?

Best regards

YouYou, Paris

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I believe Phil Dick and Chris King issued 45's on a look-a-like Soul City records a few years ago, same design etc. as Dave's original set up in the late 60's.

I'm not sure if the venture came with Dave's blessing or not but it was claimed that these Soul City mark two records were infact legal re issues but i'm not totally sure, Phil Dick is now off the scene but perhaps Chris King could confirm if the label is still up and running and answer your questions.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Phil Dick re-activated the Soul City Logo a couple of years back releasing stuff like Barabara Lynn's trying to love two etc i'm not 100% sure but i think Chris King is about to re-launch it again (or maybe just continue where Phil left off) I do know that Ali has been asked to review some singles for the next N-Soul mag not sure what though but there were quite a few, all due for imminent release.

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Of course i couldn't possibly comment on licensing issues but i'm sure Phil told me back then that the label was either with DG's blessing or had been purchased off him, can't remember which.

Phil has actually started doing a radio show somewhere up in Yorkshire recently not sure whether it's internet only or what but i have seen him sending out ads for it over the last month or so.

John

Social source share

Of course i couldn't possibly comment on licensing issues but i'm sure Phil told me back then that the label was either with DG's blessing or had been purchased off him, can't remember which.

I just had a chat with Dave who would like to point out that he neither received money for the revived use of the label or gave it his blessing.

You could knock me over with a kipper if I found out the recordings issued under that logo recently were all legitimately licensed from the owners.

I don't know how many people on the Northern scene understand which labels are legit and which aren't. Unfortunately a lot of publications, DJs and dealers play along with the spurious claims of several shady charachters and the less well informed public are lead to believe these items are genuinely licensed and the label owners, publishers, writers and artists will earn some of the money from the purchase. Sometimes I think that people in a responsible position who are in effect guardians of the scene should take a stronger moral stance on these matters.

That is of course what Dave has done for 40+ years, so it's particularly ironic that his worthy label should be trashed in this way.

Ady

Social source share

To be honest I have to say that sometimes I am pretty disappointed about the whole music scene.

A few days ago a kind of war started at the Deepfunkforum in which people insulted each other in a bad way. The background was similar to what happened to Dave Godin.

I started listening to music a collection records a long time ago, but still have to realize, that is all about the money.

Best wishes

YouYou

Social source share

Guest micksmith

WELL I'VE BEEN TOLD WHAT'S COMING OUT AND WHY RE-ISSUE TITTLES THAT HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE-ARE THEY INTO THE MUSIC- YOU'RE JOKIN'-JUST THE MONEY-AND AT £10 EACH THEY ARE A RIP OFF.

Social source share

I have a number of these soul city re issue 45s which i paid around a fiver each for which gives me a chance to own some great sounds on vinyl rather than paying riduculos amounts for originals which not all of us can justify paying.Not all of us are in that privelidged position.Look at it that way.

Social source share

Unfortunately for myself, I too am in the same position as Craig. And like him it's an opportunity to own them on vinyl rather than not have them at all. I thought that I'd read somewhere that Dave Godin had given his blessing, also given the website and promotion given to them, I thought they were legit. If I'd have known differently, I'd probably still have bought some anyway.

What hasn't been mentioned is the amount of record dealers that actually sell these records, that enable one or two individuals to make money.

Social source share

Here we go again...sorry a question was asked and several people have replied to it, i'm with Ady and Mick on this one as i have made it clear on here before my feelings on the issue of bootlegs etc. some of us are simply from the old school and some of us like Ady at Kent try to do it the right and correct way, others just ride the back of others to make a fast buck again it's that simple..sad but true, where there's muck there's brass and all that in this case forty year old non hit Soul records are an easy target as the BPI/MCPS and other music people really don't give a toss .....do they? Some years ago i helped put out a four track EP we went through the MCPS route paid for each track and tried to do it the right way, i got stick off several people and pulled out of the project very quickly, so even if you do it the right way you can and will come up against critics who feel rare soul should be just that rare and not to be fucked with legal or otherwise.

There are guidlines and rules in place to protect piracy but if huge movie production companies can not protect and stop their current blockbuster movies being copied then what chance have we got.....none is all.

The best thing i can suggest is you do it your way and we will do it our way, collect and buy what you like it matters very little to me, it ain't record collecting so it matters again very little. You just want the tune, then that's fine but don't make out that the serious collectors and DJ's to be the bad guy's because we are not......

If it's the tunes you want then ok if you ain't got the money for the biggies, so why not instead collect semi known cheap originals there are thousands of good records out there to be found and not all with a £1000.00 price tag either.......... also this way you may discover future big records yourself, it should be about learing and hunting tunes down, buying boots etc. is just lining the pockets of some get rich quick chappie. Still this is just a small part of all the other crap that's going on right now on the scene along with the shite politics, promoters or a promoter telling DJ's who they can and can't work for, overpriced TV advertised Northern Soul compilation cd's featuring tracks that have been out many times before, badges, fried chicken, keep the fuckin' faith is all bollocks, everyone seems to be jumping on the Northern Soul bandwaggon again AND REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED AROUND 1980!!!! the scene fell on it's arse, don't we ever learn? trouble is if it pops again this time there may not be anyone to pick up the pieces.

Just a thought...oh and before you all slag me off why is it that anti bootleg comments get slaughted on here yet no one questions the people doing them.

Funny that - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your comments and answers about my question.

I have got the feeling that the discussion about bootlegs, reissues, etc. will never come to an end.

As far a I now, the orignal Soul City releases were legit. Dave put a lot of work and love in the label to make it happen.

From a collectors point of view: how do I know what I am buying? The original "Dave Godin Soul City" stuff or the bootlegs?????????????????

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

Dave pulled the Chris Jackson for contractual and professional reasons.

If punters are desperate to own a sound on a 7" to play DJing, why not stick the required side on an acetate, a double sider isn't much more than £25. I have no objection to DJs doing this with unissued Kent material once it's released as it helps promote the CDs and sales, the royalties of which will go to the right people.

I used to buy boots before I knew better so I'd never criticise anyone for doing it. I just don't like the way they are sometimes given respectability by people of influence. Often because they are getting advetising or retail money out of it.

Ady

Social source share

Question to Ady Croadsell.

I'm certain Kent never released the Danny Cobus "the two of us" on a single, but are the reasons because of royalties or was it just a case of it not being on your then current release agenda (hope that makes sense, whatever the reason, it is a bloody fantastic track).

ps....if you did release it......how come i never knew.

yours Brett

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Where can you get acetates made

Music House is on an industrial estate in Tottenham Hale now. Don't know the exact address but you can always call them - tel no: is 0208 808 2571

Social source share

" Soul City name & logo by kind permission of Dave Godin"
Interesting this as was sure they "claimed this" when first bunch of releases were pushed out, and could say added a amount of credibility to releases

Also on their "old" website they claim that all releases are

All Our New Releases Are Legal British Issues - All Tracks Are Licensed From The Copyright Owners

Thing is as Phil Dicks was deeply involved in stuff such as the "4 vandalls" swindle, lets just say that there is a element of doubt in my mind if the above statements are true

As Dave Godin says that didnt give permission, think be interesting if stuff like can ever be cleared up as if someone has been blagging us then they deserve the obvious credit

thrown up a list below, not sure when new starts,

Whos' doing the soul city label now? Seen theres a few additions to the original batch

and avail at 4.99

odd "interesting" release but imo majority of latest stuff pushed out well hardly lives up to the labels name or history does it ???

something else to shake your head at

AD LIBS - I DON'T NEED NO FORTUNE TELLER / NEW YORK IN THE DARK

SC 142

ADMIRATIONS - I WANT TO BE FREE / YOU LEFT ME

SC 135

AL WILSON - THE SNAKE / NOW I KNOW WHAT LOVE IS

SC 150

APPRECIATIONS - I CAN'T HIDE IT / NO,NO, NO

SC 157

BAD WEATHER INC - I NEVER NEVER KNEW / YOU REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME

SC 132

BARBARA LYNN - MOVIN' ON A GROOVE / DISCO MUSIC

SC 123

BARBARA LYNN - TRYING TO LOVE TWO / SUGAR COATED LOVE

SC 130

BILLY WOODS - LET ME MAKE YOU HAPPY / THAT'S HOW STRONG MY LOVE IS

SC 155

CASHMERES - LET THE DOOR HIT YOUR BACK / SHOWSTOPPER

SC 133

CHUCK JACKSON - HAND IT OVER / GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT

SC 128

DE-LITES - LOVER / TELL ME WHY

SC 158

DEAN PARRISH - BRICKS, BROKEN BOTTLES AND STICKS / JOHNNY MAESTRO - I'M STEPPING OUT OF THE PICTURE

SC 126

DENNIS EDWARDS - JOHNNY ON THE SPOT / I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO

SC 147

DON VARNER - TEAR STAINED FACE / MOJO MAMA

SC 151

FABULOUS JADES - COME ON AND LIVE / PLANNING THIS MOMENT

SC 140

JACK MONTGOMERY - DO YOU BELIEVE IT / MY DEAR BELOVED

SC 124

JADES - I'M WHERE IT'S AT

SC 154

JESSE JAMES - LOVE IS ALRIGHT / MONO

SC 131

JOE MATTHEWS - AINT NOTHING YOU CAN DO/ YOU BETTER CHECK YOURSELF

SC 152

JOHNNY SAYLES - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH / TELL ME WHERE I STAND

SC 160

JOHNNY WYATT - THIS THING CALLED LOVE

SC 156

JUST BROTHERS - CARLENA / IVORIES - PLEASE STAY

SC 127

LARRY SANTOS - YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

SC 153

LEN JEWELL - BETTIN ON LOVE / ALL MY GOOD LOVIN'

SC 144

LITTLE JOE COOK - I'M FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU BABY / SHERRYS - PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND ME

SC 148

LYNN VERNADO - WASH AND WEAR LOVE / SECOND HAND LOVE

SC 146

MAGNIFICENTS - MY HEART IS CALLING YOU / ON MAIN STREET

SC 149

MARIE KNIGHT - THAT'S NO WAY TO TREAT A GIRL / YOU LIE SO WELL

SC 125

MICKIE CHAMPION - WHAT GOOD AM I

SC 159

MR. FLOODS PARTY - COMPARED TO WHAT / UNBREAKABLE TOY

SC 141

SAM DEES - I NEED YOU GIRL / LONELY FOR YOU BABY

SC 137

SOUL TWINS - QUICK CHANGE ARTIST / GIVE A MAN A CHANCE

SC 143

TEMPOS - A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS / COUNTDOWN HERE I COME

SC 145

WALTER AND ADMIRATIONS - LIFE OF TEARS / MAN O MAN (WHAT CAN I DO)

SC 136

YVONNE VERNEE - IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME / JUST LIKE YOU DID ME

SC 134

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

That's actually made me remember when i first saw the new SC releases you could actually buy them cheaper in the states than you could here!!! What's that all about then??

John

Social source share

The Danny Cobus is a great track but has never been played out much so there hasn't been muchdemand for it. Dave Flynn raved about it when it came out. It's a prime example of a track DJs could put onto their own acetates. I could try and sneak it on to flip of a hotter Dave Hamilton number though.

I should really play it myself, it's a good one to play in the last half hour which will be fine for you Brett but a bit late for Lisa who will be tucked up with Ken Bruce by then.

Ady

Social source share

Good man Ady, i will be down for the next two months at the fine and dandy 100 club, so make sure old Danny is played.......Am adjusting an imaginary tie at the very thought of Lisa tucked up with Mr Bruce.

Brett

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!