Enders played Mid-Set??

Guest Jamie

Guest Jamie

I've been reading quite a few threads recently where the jist has been more 'Ender', 'Mid-Tempo' and 'Beat Ballad' stuff being played mid-set rather than at the end of the night.

From a personal point of view, and not being a big name, Do I risk clearing the floor in playing some of this stuff??

I'm getting to the point now where I love some of this stuff so much I might chuck a copy in and see what happens. These pieces make the the hair on my neck stand up with the sheer Emotion, Pain, Power and Construction every time I hear them.

Heres 3 that I think fall into that bracket:

1. George Smith - 'I've Had It' - Turntable

2. Walter Jackson - 'Uphill Climb To The Bottom' - OKeh

3. Gil Bernal - 'Can You Love A Poor Boy' - RCA

I'd be interested to see what you all think, whether it's a regional thing (I'm in Yorkshire), or whether I'm so far behind the times I should really be getting me coat.

Also, if you can be bovved, your own Top 3.

Cheers......

(P.S. If you are wondering why I look like a dart player, please check Joey Delorenzo thread on Sales)

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

1. George Smith - 'I've Had It' - Turntable

You can play this any time, beginning, end, or in the lift, its still a superb tune.

3 IMO great mid tempo that you hardly hear anymore

Gene Stridel - Tomorrow is another day

June Conquest - Almost Persuaded

Gail Anderson - Be proud (you are in love)

All dead cheap on issue, all welcome at any soul night I go to.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Cheers for that.

You sort of think you are the only person in the world who thinks like that sometimes.

Like I say, it's having the courage to play some of these things when you are starting out.

My main problem at the moment is trying to get the floor full whilst trying not to prostitute my tastes for the sake of it (if that makes sense???), whilst trying to build up a good name for playing quality music.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Personally i love the beat ballad / mid-tempo stuff at any time of the night. Some of my faves:

Marion Stewart - I must be losing you

Ann Heywood - Crook his little finger

Jo-Ann Garrett - A whole new plan

Troy Dodds - Try my love

Andrea Henry - I need you

and loads more!!

Give em a play that's my opinion. Especially now the scene is ageing and many can no longer cut it with the 100mph stuff.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Give em a play that's my opinion. Especially now the scene is ageing and many can no longer cut it with the 100mph stuff.

LOL!!!!!

Chuck a few 'Breathers' in for the old & infirm - I like your style Shane!!!

Good work fella!!!

Social source share

I have to say that Beat Ballads do it for me every time and here in London it's not too unusual to hear them mid-set. Here's a couple of my current faves:

Freddie Scott - Mr. Heartache - Columbia

Kenny Shepard - What difference does it make - Maxx

Teddy Randazzo - You don't need a heart - DCP

Paul

Social source share

Drop them in anytime soulville for me and my lot...It don't have to be big uptempo stompers anymore with great deep slow enders..I think its getting to the point when a big uptempo number will be the ones to play at the end after lots of real quality deep dark midtempo heaven..oooooooooooooooooh yes please...

Betty Moorer..Speed Up

Aint no big thing..various artists

Barbara Lynn..This is the thanks i get

Betty Lavette..Let me down easy

Johnny Gillium??...room full of tears

Imperial Cs...somebody tell her

Shep..I'm sitting in

plus a thousand more...

best thing to do is mix all these up with great underplayed big stompers and Little Stevie is in heaven..

Social source share

now the scene is ageing and many can no longer cut it with the 100mph stuff.

cry. but what about those of us who can?

anyway - there's no harm in playing what you like :) and slower stuff gives the pillmonkeys time to dash to the bar. and hug a few people on the way back. so everyone's a winner!

Social source share

George Smith- had been playin this at end here in Dublin, last time played it a little earlier someone asked if it was an early finish?

Mixing the pace allows some of us time to get our lungs, legs and back on track after a quick one?????? but maybe digressing

Danny D

Social source share

Wendy..i love you sweetheart..If the tempo drops below 200 mph the mad Irish women thinks its time for bed....I want them all mixed up..fast..slow..midtempo..I can still shake it a bit for a man of my age...

Talking about miss Phillips..Home is where the hatred is...Near the top of my list...

And what is a pill monkey...

Social source share

Guest Jamie

It's good stuff that I'm reading.

I don't know you lot, and obviously you all know each other, but I think I could do with having a visit to wherever it is that you go in the near future.

Sounds like my kinda place.......

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Ah-ha - so if i bu**er up the air-con so everyone's too hot and knackered to shake more than a tail feather....... does that me I can FINALLY hear Lou Johnson's "It Ain't No Use" down at the 100 club next month... oh please Mick, please !!! Lou Johnson followed by Johnnie Mae Matthews followed by ... oh god, they've all gone to sleep... ok, followed by Eric Lomax :) )

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I always play some midtempo/slowies within my set, not just at the end, and the floor stays busy!

Quality will out, regardless of tempo, just work 'em in after a couple of uptempo numbers, so they can get their breath back, before taking it up again!

Faves too many to mention, I LOVE mid-tempo female stuff, but try these:

1/ Sea Shells -"Quiet Home" Villige. Awesome!

2/Johnnie mae/ audrey Matthews - "I have no choice" Big hit. Ditto!

3/MIkki Lynn- "I got the blues" Capitol. Little known and overlooked, but gets an excellent reaction!

Finaly, a male vocal!

Trends- "Not too old to cry" ABC played this out again, mid set, at the Wilton, -Floorpacker!

P.S

Anyone in the Harrogate area on Saturday, get on down to Manhattans- Beech grove, off Leeds road, Harrogate. 8-1 excellent venue, All the above, and more, will be spun!

Social source share

At George Jackson the glidey midtempo stuff is as fast as we get...

Some personal favourites from all eras and styles of smoothie that you might hear there...

Johnny Gilliam "Won't Someone Help Me" Cancer

The Charades "Never Set Me Free" MGM

King Floyd "I'm For Real" Chimneyville

Arthur Alexander "I Need You Baby" Monument

The Masqueraders "How Big Is Big" Bell

Delilah Moore "It Takes Love" Middle Earth

Al Johnson "Love Waits For No Man" South Camp

Skip Jackson & the Shantons "Promise That You'll Wait" Dot-Mar

Willie Tee "My Heart Remembers" Nola

Wilson Love "Funny Money" NS

Deena Johnson "The Breaking Point" Wild Deuce

Roosevelt Matthews etc. "You Got Me Diggin' You" King

Maxine Brown "Don't Leave Me Baby" Epic

Baby Washington "It Hurts So Bad" Veep

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm chomping at the bit here now, to hear most if not all these tunes.

But the flip side, remember when Dave Thorley or Pat or Adam or whoever, would cheekily play a beautiful slow song to end their sets, and hand over to Keb or Guy at Stafford?

From Keb you'd get a 10 second rant, where the only intelligable word was fuggin, followed by The Chaumonts or The Twilights. And Guy would gracefully say, 'f*** this, I travelled here from Peterboro in 50 minutes! and whack on 'the work song'.

And all hell would be let loose for 40 minutes.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

A few favourites that will be playing at the CSC on Friday:

Johnny Gilliam Find YourselfAnother

Internationals Beautiful Philosophy

Freddie Williams Name In Lights

Danny Cobus (if I can find the dub)

Its going to be hot, I trust people will be grateful.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!