Monumental This Saturday And Bobby Patterson News

Guest Niki

Dearest groovy MENTAL Soul people,

At last the moment you have been waiting for all summer... MonuMENTAL Soul is back!! We kick off the autumn season shenanigans this Saturday 24th September when, alongside resident MENTAL DJs Gareth "Girth Devon" Donovan, Mole and myself, we welcome along Mick Farrer as our special guest and give him a chance to spin some of those modern soul gems he has hiding in the archives.

It seems that all too often these days we are saying our goodbyes and last respects to another great soul artist. So it is that we will be making a special MonuMENTAL tribute to Obie Benson of the Four Tops, Little Milton, Ernie Johnson, Eugene Record of the Chi-Lites and Willie Hutch - all of whom sadly passed away this summer.

On a much brighter note we've got a couple of our favourite MonuMENTAL people celebrating birthdays this Saturday. It's Steve 'Spot' Warner's BIG FOUR-OH on Saturday so the Surrey Soulboys will be out partying in full force, also the very lovely Selina puts another candle on the cake on Sunday so we expect to see her making full use of the length and breadth of the dancefloor! Well they can certainly trust the MonuMENTAL people to help them celebrate.

On a personal note, I've got another reason to celebrate this Saturday, as Neil Forbes and I are expecting our first child on the 1st February and we've just found out it's a little boy!! Anyone who has seen me lately cannot have failed to notice my expanding waistline... and it's with this in mind that we have had to reschedule the MonuMENTAL dates for the rest of the year. The new flyer is attached (it's The Dells by the way) take a look. We are cancelling the November 26th and Christmas Eve dates (sorry!) and combining them on December 4th with Tats & Bully as our VERY special guests. Plus we're adding another date next month - on October 29th.

It's a bit early to announce our October event, but we need to make sure you've got a note in your diary for October 29th because we have a MonuMENTAL treat lined up for you... LIVE and direct from Dallas, Texas... MR. BOBBY PATTERSON. Yes we kid you not, performing a PA of such modern soul classics as I Get My Groove From You, I'm In Love With You and Recipe For Peace, this will be Bobby's only London appearance in advance of his full live show at the Togetherness weekender. October 29th, got that? Tell everyone. This really will be a night not to be missed.

Anyhooo we've got this Saturday to look forward to first... you all know how the rest of the blurb goes... we'll be spinning a selection of lesser known 60s & 70s, funky floor-fillers, modern soul anthems and brand new SOUL cuts.... the very best in QUALITY SOUL old and new. A night of great soul music and great company at a great venue, with a big old wooden dance floor, decent priced beer and draught bitter!

See you there!

Niki, Girth & Mole

xx

Monumental Soul

@ The Britannia

20 Monument Street

London EC3R 8AJ

Doors: 8.30pm to 2am

Tax: a mere seven quid

The Britannia is by The Monument - just a 30 second stroll down the hill from Monument Tube station (District & Circle Lines, and foot tunnel to Northern & Central Lines), walking distance to Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, London Bridge (just over the river) and Liverpool Street Rail stations. If you're coming by car, Monument Street is just off King William St - London Bridge and Lower Thames Street. There is plenty of free parking just by the venue.

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF DATES FOR THE REMAINDER OF 2005

Next MonuMENTAL Dates:

October 29th with special live PA from BOBBY PATTERSON & guest DJ Taffy

December 3rd with Tats Taylor & Bully

post-2227-1127398829_thumb.jpg

post-2227-1127398863_thumb.jpg

• Replies 0
  • Views 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images