Soul Dance Classes starting

Guest Kolla

Guest Kolla

Just to let everyone know that Trickster (Chris Harvey) is starting up his dance classes the week after the August 100 Club.

Detail are as follows:-

Date: Wednesday 18th August

Venue: Boston Arms, Tufnell Park, London (next to Capitol Soul venue)

Time: 7pm to 11pm

There will be a two hour lesson which includes warm-up and techniques, followed by a two hour mini-soul night.

Music provided by two top London lady DJS!

For further details contact Chris directly (tel no on flyer below)

post-5-1091043341_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is this for real or a cruel joke?????????and i don't mean the lady djs...

It's for real.Trickster gave me one of his cards at the last 100 to pass on to someone.At that time he was waiting for enough people for a class to be viable.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Oim farm Dursley.

Where Pederson invented the Pennt Farthing (Long Street), and Jenner discovered penecillin: the cure to Small Pox, hence the hill overlooking the town is called Small Pox. Rumour has it there are thousands of dead bodies buried there.

Trickster is from Trowbridge, in Wiltshire, not too far from Imber I believe

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oim farm Dursley.

Where Pederson invented the Pennt Farthing (Long Street), and Jenner discovered penecillin: the cure to Small Pox, hence the hill overlooking the town is called Small Pox. Rumour has it there are thousands of dead bodies buried there.

Trickster is from Trowbridge, in Wiltshire, not too far from Imber I believe

Duuurrrsssssssleeeee Glaaaaaaaarrrrrsssteeeerrr tis all the same to I

So Tricksters even more of a Bumpkin than yow?? Who'd a thought it ;o))

John

Social source share

So Tricksters even more of a Bumpkin than yow?? Who'd a thought it ;o))

John

I passed the card on that Trickster gave me to Billy Von Wizz JoT, do we count as bumpkins too ?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Most deffinitely Binty, Norfolk is the county that put the crunch into carrots!!!!!!!!!! ;O)-

JoT

Social source share

OK, I'm confused....is this Trickster offering lessons or lessons being offered to Trickster and others are invited to join? I've seen Trickster dancing and, although OK, he's not a patch on Ady C or Keith Minshall :-)))). Trickster you quaffed Rockabilly wannabe, let me know mate so that I can do a Trading Card of you for future Plinston. LOL.#

TheBigO

Social source share

OK, I'm confused....is this Trickster offering lessons or lessons being offered to Trickster and others are invited to join? TheBigO

Trickster is the teacher :-)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

While You've got your arse clenched try throwing a few darts it's all the rage apparently ask Binty

JoT

Social source share

While You've got your arse clenched try throwing a few darts it's all the rage apparently ask Binty

JoT

Well excuse me Mr JoT but I believe it was you sir that started that particular craze :-))))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Well excuse me Mr JoT but I believe it was you sir that started that particular craze :-))))

Actually i think you will find that it was not, i just responded to my name being taken in vein in an arse thrusting subject which i must tell you i took exception to :o/

JoT ;o))

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Actually i think you will find that it was not, i just responded to my name being taken in vein in an arse thrusting subject which i must tell you i took exception to

Well JoT,

There's me thinking we'd cleared that baby up!!

I'm guilty of starting the clenching thing, but now have considered this:

1. Buttocks clenched

2. Boxing Gloves

Question: How do you wipe your ass?

Jamie

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

This has got to be  the most arse-clenchingly embarassing thing I've ever read!!!

I think you're a little out of order with that comment. I don't think you would tell him he is an embarassment to his face. And if you are like 90% of the men on the northern soul scene you could probably do with a lesson or two yourself.

I think it's a very positive and constructive thing to do. Good luck to him.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

No James i'm with Johnny on this one!!!!

Think of it like DIY

Now what self respecting man looks at the instructions on flat pack furniture before he absofuckinloootly needs to.

The principals are the same, so you may make a few mistakes but hey if you have arfer brain you learn by them and evolve ;o))

I can see it appealing to youngsters who may be intimidated by not knowing the "dance" and that is fair enough but to us seasoned chin strokers head nodders and general piss taking bastards it's hilarious ;o))

Good luck to him and all that but you have to see the funny side Northern by numbers with diamonte sequins sewn into the crown pockets of your 50" spencers.........

Come dancing???

I just did

JoT

Social source share

There's me thinking we'd cleared that baby up!!

I'm guilty of starting the clenching thing, but now have considered this:

1. Buttocks clenched

2. Boxing Gloves

Question: How do you wipe your ass?

Jamie

I'm getting a little worried about your facination with JoT's botty, If you are really interested in it I do happen to have in my possesion a photo of part of his bare buttocks, now how many doughnuts is it worth to

A) stick it up

cool.gif keep it to myself

Social source share

Guest Jamie

If you are really interested in it I do happen to have in my possesion a photo of part of his bare buttocks, now how many doughnuts is it worth to

A) stick it up

cool.gif keep it to myself

WHHOOOAAA!!!!!

How did you come across that cheeky little number!!!!!

Don't answer please!

I really would find it just too funny for you to use that one as your aquarium.

I've got one of myself sat on the toilet at Elland Rd.

'Bout time you lot started bribing me as it goes - so come on, what's the bid??.

Soulsville would just like to make clear he does not accept doughnuts as bribes, however Daughters over the age of 19 are totally acceptable, preferred infact.

Social source share

no hard opinions either way on this subject myself as in a "why not indeed? " sort of mood

anyway whatever thoughts, seems there is a demand for this as post via "contact us" below states (just passed on details to the poster)

let us know how it goes on

mike

Helen submitted the following Information:

Email

Location Surrey

Comments

Excellant site - nice to see an uptodate calaendar for events too. Wondered if you could help me though - I'm looking to learn how to dance Northern Soul style - any ideas of places in Surrey or Berkshire? I also visit Nottingham regulary if there's anywhere in town there?

Coudl mangae to post to the forum - it kept blanking out on me.

Much appreciated, H

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I also visit Nottingham regulary if there's anywhere in town there?

Coudl mangae to post to the forum - it kept blanking out on me.

Helen,

I know what the problem is.

You're typing with your mouth full.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No James i'm with Johnny on this one!!!!

Think of it like DIY

Now what self respecting man looks at the instructions on flat pack furniture before he absofuckinloootly needs to.

That's my point, 90% of the men on the soul scene absofuckingloootly need to have lessons.

I'm sticking up for Chris (Trickster) on this one.

He often has 'trendy' types come up to him at Jo Jo's and ask him where they can learn to dance like that and he is always very enthusiastic and helpful, shows them a few steps and tells them about soul nights that are on. He's a good teacher, and he enjoys it and I don't think he deserves people calling it 'embarrasing'.

If people love dancing and would like to share their skills, then go for it!

Good luck to him and anyone who is going to go along!

IMHO If you want to know about "Northern Soul by numbers" you should look to some of the DJs and promoters for inspiration, not a man with a genuine love of dancing.

Social source share

I was pretty non-commital too about this subject, but James, you've swayed me. Chris's enthusiasm deserves to be recognised. At least he's getting off his arse and doing something about a subject he firmly believes in. More power to him.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I was trying to remain impartial on this as a moderator but Chris and Estu do read the forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, absolutely... just as long are they're not two-faced about it when they see him - I'm fine with that.

I'm also off the opinion - why not give it a go - it's not targeted at Soulies anyway. As webmistress of the 6Ts site, i've received numerous emails over the last few of years from young 'uns enquiring if anyone teaches the basic steps. [And despite what some say, i believe there are basic steps that can be learned with four beats to the bar]. Chris has said he has no intention of spawning an army of little tricksters, he wants people who do like the music to feel more confident about getting up and dancing to it. We all know how intimidating the NS scene can be - I was an acid jazz and rare groove freak in the mid/late-80s and i loved the freestyle of it ... however, despite knowing I didn't have two left feet , it took me 6 months to pluck up the courage and get off my arse at a northern soul venue to dance.

If it doesn't work out for him, fair enough - but there's no harm in giving it a go.

Social source share

I was trying to remain impartial on this as a moderator but Chris and Estu do read the forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, absolutely...  just as long are they're not two-faced about it when they see him - I'm fine with that.

I'm also off the opinion - why not give it a go - it's not targeted at Soulies anyway. As  webmistress of the 6Ts site, i've received numerous emails over the last few of years from young 'uns enquiring if anyone teaches the basic steps.  [And despite what some say, i believe there are basic steps that can be learned with four beats to the bar].  Chris has said he has no intention of spawning an army of little tricksters, he wants people who do like the music to feel more confident about getting up and dancing to it.  We all know how intimidating the NS scene can be - I was an acid jazz and rare groove freak in the mid/late-80s and i loved the freestyle of it ... however, despite knowing I didn't have two left feet , it took me 6 months to pluck up the courage and get off my arse at a northern soul venue to dance.

If it doesn't work out for him, fair enough - but there's no harm in giving it a go.

I agree with you Kolla. What a lot of older Northern fans forget is that we all had to learn. For us older ones we copied our older friends and then added untill we got our own style.There are definatly basic steps IMO. Youngsters coming along today can't practice amongst themselves in youth club type environment as we could.

Good luck to him I say and anything that makes someone feel more at ease with getting up on the dance floor is a good thing.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just a thought, but does Trickster intend to charge ££ for his services? If so, surely he must have to have a qualification in dance teaching to charge money? You can't teach Pottery, Karate, Driving, or anything these days, without some sort of certification, or so it seems.

You can see the scenario, after 6 weeks, Mr 'Two left feet' has learned nothing.

Mr TLF -"Iv'e bin comin' here six weeks 'an 'im still crap. I thought you was a professional teacher?"

Trickster -"Well no, actually, I'm just a bloke wot can dance a bit"

Mr TLF -"No bloody wonder I can't dance! you've got no more qualifications to teach me than my dog! How can I learn to dance when you ain't a proper teacher? You've bin taking my money under false pretences, I'm gonna sue your arse into oblivion!"

Also does he have a first aid certificate? will he make sure that his punters are medicaly fit to exert themselves befor starting classes?

Mr TLF keels over with a heart attack midway thru "Hit and Run."- Later in hospital..

Mr TLF -"well I thought I would be ok, I mean, he didn't ask me if I had a dicky ticker befor I started, and he is supposed to know what he's doing, so I thought it would be ok! Lucky for me one of the class was an off-duty nurse, or I'd be brown bread! The bloke is incompetent, I'm gonna sue his arse into oblivion!

Finaly, should either of the above transpire, some sort of public liability insurance may be in order.

I know this may sound a bit extreme, but stranger things have happened, and he may just be getting himself into very murky waters, what with the current trend for litigation at the drop of a hat!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Good luck to him and all that but you have to see the funny side Northern by numbers with diamonte sequins sewn into the crown pockets of your 50" spencers.........

JoT

To be fair i did say good luck to him and i meant it.

However i still think there is endless oportunities for my warped sense of humour having hours of fun, but on this occassion i shall cease and desist ;o))

JoT

Perhaps JT could give us all Funk Dancing lessons, i for one am particularly keen to learn the Titty Shaker, i have in the past had several attempts but usually only end up with black eyes from frumpy stuck in the mud boyfriends ;o)))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

YOU ARE THE MASTER OF THE ANCIENT STONE AGE CROP CIRCLE.

I HAVE NEVER IN MY 27 YEARS OF SOULING COME ACCROSS SUCH PERFECT CIRCLES ;o))

JoT

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Perhaps JT could give us all Funk Dancing lessons, i for one am particularly keen to learn the Titty Shaker, i have in the past had several attempts but usually only end up with black eyes from frumpy stuck in the mud boyfriends ;o)))

lol.

Social source share

karen got in touch via contact us and asked to pass on the following....

mike

karenb submitted the following Information:

Comments

Hi Mike, sorry I've forgotten my username and password!! (I know brain like a sieve springs to mind!) Help please. Want to reply to Tricker's dance classes.

"I think no one should slag down Trickster for his dance classes, if people want to go, they'll go, if they don't, they don't, simple. I know dance classes can be a touchy theme on the northern scene but then again, he's not hurting anyone, and as a lot of people know I DO speak my mind! Karen B (by the way I'm going to try and make it whether I need them or not!)

Social source share

>I can see it appealing to youngsters who may be intimidated by not knowing the >"dance" and that is fair enough but to us seasoned chin strokers head nodders and >general piss taking bastards it's hilarious ;o))

I always thought it was about the music and not how you can dance. Any youngster who looks at a Northern dancefloor wouldn't, I'd have thought, be too bothered about the quality of dancing. That's not a criticism, there's tens of thousands of people who have happily enjoyed dancing in and out of time to soul records for over 20 years. And no-one has ever really commented either way.

I remember sitting on the balcony at the Manchester Ritz allnighter 8 years ago for the first time and seeing the swirling throng below. It was both entrancing and exciting. And I remember it taking me over two years to learn to dance in a personal style I was comfortable with. In those two years, I never enjoyed the music any less, nor did anyone comment about my, doubtless, daft, bambi dancing style.

It might be more difficult for any lurkers on here, especially the young (talking from a youngsters POV), to take their first steps to a soul event if they start to think that it's more about the dancing than the music. And that perhaps they might be ridiculed for expressing themselves in a way they feel the music sends them and by not buying into a conformist dance style.

I've known some of the wildest and unorthodox dancers/soulfans show enviably more passion than others through their dancing styles. The healthily diverse mixture of young people at the NCSC last night expressed themselves in a way that was perfectly comfortable for them and this often gets misconstrued as them taking the piss. Trust me when I tell you they adore the music. I would imagine that if they decided to take the decision to want to learn to dance like the people they see flying around a dancefloor, I'd hope they'd find their own dancing idiosyncrasies.

Social source share

Gotta agree with Matt on this re: young people finding their own style. Thats what I did and still am doing whether I look shite on the dancefloor or not.......

......also a venture like this is bound to cause cynicism, it would be odd if it didn't particularly in this current climate of northern soul adverts and cash ins. Still fair play to the fella, his own dedication to the scene can't be questioned and if people are interested then what else is there to say?

Social source share

Am advocating a total ban on dancing at all events, infact i'd openly encourage the filling of major events with huge steel baths filled with every imaginable form of alcohol, oh and women are banned too....aswell as all other men..bar me.

still feeling rather wrecked after the NCS.........

Brett

Social source share

I think you're a little out of order with that comment. I don't think you would tell him he is an embarassment to his face. And if you are like 90% of the men on the northern soul scene you could probably do with a lesson or two yourself.

I think it's a very positive and constructive thing to do. Good luck to him.

I mean't the idea of Northern Soul dance classes was embarassing (not Trickster himself) and I did tell Trickster on Thursday night.

Sorry for any confusion

Social source share

I know this may sound a bit extreme, but stranger things have happened, and he may just be getting himself into very murky waters, what with the current trend for litigation at the drop of a hat!

I think some people are taking this a little too seriously.... it's an offer of learning a few basic steps with a mini soul night chucked in.

Again, people queuing up to take the piss.... why?

Good luck to you Chris... I know how passionate you are about your dancing and I applaude that.

Perhaps some comments stem from a little jealousy?

scared.gif

Social source share

not that you asked but... i think this is a great idea. i went to soul nights for months & months before i got the courage to dance. it's really frightening cuz everyone seems to know what they are doing. and trickster is a deadly dancer, he's carrying on the tradition, so why knock that? if it gets a few more people into the 'scene' & makes 'em happy then it's good. me and my mates have spent the last few years throwing ourselves about trying to figure out some of the more complicated moves. if only we had someone like trickster to show us what to do we wouldnta ended up so battered n bruised

Social source share

Am advocating a total ban on dancing at all events, infact i'd openly encourage the filling of major events with huge steel baths filled with every imaginable form of alcohol, oh and women are banned too....aswell as all other men..bar me.

still feeling rather wrecked after the NCS.........

Brett

Brett! You would feel ever so lonely after a very short while :) Did you play some records in the coffee bar afterwards? I saw you lugging a big record box to the decks just before we left for sunny Poole :D

Social source share

I was pretty non-commital too about this subject, but James, you've swayed me. Chris's enthusiasm deserves to be recognised. At least he's getting off his arse and doing something about a subject he firmly believes in. More power to him.

Ditto...good luck to him and those that choose to go.

Social source share

Hi soulgirl yeah i managed to play 8 alongside Christian (who i think spun the same amount)..posted earlier what i played in one of the other forums...was really shattered and let Christian do all the work.Ha,Ha.

Social source share

The first nighter i ever went to was at Clifton Hall around 1981/82 and i remember being in awe of the dancers, i waited and waited then over the speakers came "Thats the Way" by "The Q" (at the time it was covered as James Lewis) and i shot onto the darkest corner of the floor and really never looked back, i believe that you should just do your own thing, no one really cares what anyone else does........just enjoy it....

Social source share

Am considering asking Mike & Kolla to ban soulgirl from future Posts, on the basis that she has the most incredible "dancing,laughing little things attached to her posts.........HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT....

yours Brett still mastering...(: )(....

Social source share

Am considering asking Mike & Kolla to ban soulgirl from future Posts, on the basis that she has the most incredible "dancing,laughing little things attached to her posts.........HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT....

yours Brett still mastering...(:    )(....

birgits_giggle.gif

Don't fret Brett.... get EmotiPad. You just drag in any image you want from it into your message here - or any forums/emails.bigwink.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Chris's first dance class was a great success.

For anyone interesting in getting involved, the next dance class / session will take place on WEDNESDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER.

For full details of time and place and contact numbers refer to the first post on this topic.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!