Last night a DJ saved my life

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

James,

What was the name of that track your mate played last night??

All I can remember is it was someting, by somebody on summat!!

I think it was a group like the Royal IV, on a red label.

God I gotta stop trying to keep up with johnny T!!

Had a really great time, hope your mate enjoyed his birthday.

Us 40 something soul boys showed those kids a thing or two didnt we. Well until it got to about 11pm and we were trousered and had to go home and sleep it off anyway.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

looks a good venue? got there for 7 but the 'all you can eat for 3 quid' curry house tipped me over the edge - or was it the wine?? we had been on it since 12o is my lame excuse.

was it a one off or is it going to be a regular doo??

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Mickey, it's on Canterbury, it could be the Younghearts. Not 100% at the moment.

And you're right, all the soul-source and rare soul forum folk that turned up certainly did raise a few eye brows!!! Wasn't it a great night!?!?!?

RichS, they have a night there every Thursday, it's called "Hot Funky and Sweaty". But they don't play propa soul down there really. It's all odd ball soundtracks, guitar blues, funk, European Library stuff, weird jazz etc.. They have live bands as well. It was a one off with myself, Keb and Ian DJing because it was our friend Fryer's birthday. I think it is a great venue though, and would be perfect for a regular soul event. It could be a good venue for an alldayer maybe? I might chase them up and see about the possibility of sorting out a bank holiday alldayer down there.rolleyes.gif

He's my playlist (ish)...

Gene Chandler "There Was A Time" (Brunswick)

Towanda Barnes "You Don't Mean It" (AM)

Del-Larks "Job Opening pt1 (Queen City)

Chosen Few "Birth Of A Playboy" (Canyon)

Honey & The Bees "Love Addict" (Arctic)

Barbara Trent "A Woman Was Made For a Man" (Red Label)

Black Sweat "Black Sweat" (Black Sweat)

Soul Lovers "Gonna Have Fun Tonight" (Pace Maker)

Shades Of Black "Mystery Of Black" (Julmar)

Blue Rhythm Combo "I'm Too Old" (Wirl)

Master Force "Don't Fight The Feeling" (Rainforest 12")

The Metros "Since I Found My Baby" (RCA)

John Bowie "You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing Baby" (Merben)

I think I played Billy Hambric "She Said Goodbye" (Drum)

Delegates Of Soul "I'll Come Running Back" (Up Look)

Archie Bell "1000 Wonders" (Atlantic)

Candi-Bars "You're The One" (Candy-Stix)

The Parliaments "Cry No More" (Cabell)

Social source share

was it a one off or is it going to be a regular doo??

cheers

Scotty

As far as the line-up is concerned, it's a one off (at least, up until now!)

The HF&S gig itself run by Nick Cope is on every Thursday and Nick does a great job of bringing together DJ's and live acts down there, each and every week.

On the live front, he's had the likes of New Mastersounds, Lefties Soul Connection, Speedometer, Little Barrie, Baker Brothers, Boogaloo Investigators and such like.

As far as replicating the line-up JT and Ian, it's my birthday on 9th September down there if you fancy it!! ; )

***JT....just read your post up mate. The library stuff and such like is usually on the monthly meeting held there - swapping, finding out new tunes and such like. The Thursday is actually a very respectable funk oriented night, with some dabs of soul thrown in. For example, a few bits from your tracklisting have been played there on the regular. Also, you'll find next to no reissues played there. I think you'll find a lot of the DJ's that play are made from the same egg and play OG 45's 99%, if not 100% of the time. Nice to see you, all be it briefly!***

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mickey, it's on Canterbury, it could be the Younghearts. Not 100% at the moment.

Definetley not the Younghearts James.

Grr my head is banging. I was certain I would at least remember the label.

:-(

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

***JT....just read your post up mate. The library stuff and such like is usually on the monthly meeting held there - swapping, finding out new tunes and such like. The Thursday is actually a very respectable funk oriented night, with some dabs of soul thrown in. For example, a few bits from your tracklisting have been played there on the regular. Also, you'll find next to no reissues played there. I think you'll find a lot of the DJ's that play are made from the same egg and play OG 45's 99%, if not 100% of the time. Nice to see you, all be it briefly!***

OK. I was jsut guessing from some of the playlists I've seen.

It was good seeing you and Mel, it'd been a while!

Greg, have you got the contact details for the manager at the Salmon?

You can count me in for your birthday, I'm sure Wrighty will be on board as well.

I do weddings as well, if anybody is interested?wacko.gif

Social source share

It was good seeing you and Mel, it'd been a while!

Greg, have you got the contact details for the manager at the Salmon?

You can count me in for your birthday, I'm sure Wrighty will be on board as well.

I don't have a personal number for the guy, but the website is good and up to date.

https://www.salmonandcompass.com/

I'll probably be going there on Saturday for a mates do, so I can break some ice if you need any help.

I'll have a word with Nick about getting you and Ian on board. A part two of last night on September 9th would be superb!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!