shute

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny Mack

Strangely, this was never actually released on Veep. It was voided on December 18, 1968 and never issued. The "A" side differs - The Quinvy release is "Mojo Hanna/Tear Stained Face" whereas the Veep non-release is Veep 1296 "Meet me in church/Tear Stained Face". It comes sandwiched in the Veep catalog between 2 relatively easy to find northern cuts 1295 - Truman Thomas's instrumental version of Jean Well's "After loving You" and 1297 which is Baby Washington's "Think about the good times".

There are just over one hundred 45 releases on Veep and guess I 've seen 95% of them, but never seen a Don Varner. They are out there for sure. Holland is the place to look, or so I'm told. wink.gif

Thought you'd enjoy that useless piece of information..............Has anyone actually seen the Veep 45 ?

Take care,

John

Social source share

Strangely, this was never actually released on Veep. It was voided on December 18, 1968 and never issued. The "A" side differs - The Quinvy release is "Mojo Hanna/Tear Stained Face" whereas the Veep non-release is Veep 1296 "Meet me in church/Tear Stained Face". It comes sandwiched in the Veep catalog between 2 relatively easy to find northern cuts 1295 - Truman Thomas's instrumental version of Jean Well's "After loving You" and 1297 which is Baby Washington's "Think about the good times".

There are just over one hundred 45 releases on Veep and guess I 've seen 95% of them, but never seen a Don Varner. They are out there for sure. Holland is the place to look, or so I'm told. wink.gif

Thought you'd enjoy that useless piece of information..............Has anyone actually seen the Veep 45 ?

Take care,

John

I'm sure John Anderson said he had sold some years ago, their were doubters but he tuned up the Ivories Wand release did'nt he laugh.gif

Ted

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Ted,

You're dead right. John Anderson sent a boxful to Holland for the "Meet me in church" side, in the early 70's, for under a pound each before Tear Stained Face started getting plays.

All the Quinvy catalog singers are popular with deep soul collectors and it may be that this batch of Varner 45's got distributed amongst those folks. Strange that the odd one has never showed up. Would love to see a scan of this 45.

Thanks for the info,

John

Social source share

Ted,

You're dead right. John Anderson sent a boxful to Holland for the "Meet me in church" side, in the early 70's, for under a pound each before Tear Stained Face started getting plays.

All the Quinvy catalog singers are popular with deep soul collectors and it may be that this batch of Varner 45's got distributed amongst those folks. Strange that the odd one has never showed up. Would love to see a scan of this 45.

Thanks for the info,

John

Funny that, he told me he had sold them in Japan!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!